PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Galant Elegance Auto value?

NU51
03-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Hi guys,

I'm considering selling my 2002 Galant Elegance Auto (2.5 V6-24V). It's black with black leather, 46000 miles with Full Mitsubishi Service History, MOT'd till August 2010 but tax expires end of Nov 2009. It's in truly immaculate condition and has only covered 8000 miles since I bought it over 3 years ago.

As soon as I bought it I had the front and rear bumpers repainted to remove car park scratches and then went OTT and pampered all the paintwork with a multitude of Sonus Polishing and Wax products (to a glass like finish that exceeds normal bodyshop polishing) and has had the wax maintained ever since (however, it naturally still has the odd stone chip to the bonnet and front bumper).

The car is completely standard apart from the wheels which I took to LapTab in B'ham to have redone in Black Chrome and then shod with Goodyear Eagle F1's (I also have a spare set of standard silver wheels). It could probably do with uprated front discs/pads though coz the new mitsu pads after the last service (at 40000 miles) made no difference to braking quality.

As such, I have not had the heart to spoil it as a daily driver since (yep, silly I know) but I no longer have the time nor inclination for a 'toy' car and have more need of a daily driver truck instead (which I won't want to pamper) so I'm considering selling it.

I've attached a photo. Any suggestions for a recommended asking price?
cheers,
Mark

Rambaud
03-11-2009, 07:25 PM
/Welcome

Nice looking Galant.

What engine?

HMG1K
04-11-2009, 02:32 AM
/Welcome

Nice looking Galant.

What engine?

That'll be a 2.5 V6-24V on an Elegance spec.

Nice car! Any more photos?

And welcome along! /welcome3

Price - despite the loving adoration you've given to your beautiful car, which I admire and adore as I do the same to mine, I personally think it's worth tops of £3,500 on the open market - as much as £4k on a site like this. Even VR4 facelift values have fallen dramatically over the last 12-18 months.

Good luck with the sale - and don't sell for what is realistically possible. :rulez:

Rambaud
04-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Probably a V6, but it could be a 2.4 GDI.

HMG1K
04-11-2009, 10:33 AM
Probably a V6, but it could be a 2.4 GDI.

It won't be a 2.4 GDI if it's an Elegance.

Elegance were 2.5 V6 while the 2.4 GDIs were badged as Equipe. The 2.0 were badged Classic around this time. :thumbsup:

NU51
04-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Hi guys, sorry, I should have clarified it's a 2.5 V6-24V (have now edited original post). But ouch?! Possibly only worth 4k tops? Hmmm I might have to rethink my options. Here's more photos:

Rambaud
04-11-2009, 01:58 PM

Elegance were 2.5 V6 while the 2.4 GDIs were badged as Equipe. The 2.0 were badged Classic around this time. :thumbsup:

I don't think that can be correct, as I have seen many references to 2.4 GDI Elegance. Maybe the badging changed?

Not relevant to this thread, as OP has confirmed it's a V6. :)

HMG1K
04-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Not relevant to this thread, as OP has confirmed it's a V6. :)

/Wave :)

HMG1K
04-11-2009, 02:57 PM
But ouch?! Possibly only worth 4k tops? Hmmm I might have to rethink my options.

Ultimately it's whatever somene is willing to pay for your car - as with anything - so stick with something realistic and you may find a buyer who is after an unmolested and cared for used example as yours.

How much did you have in mind?

Used values on these cars have fallen a lot in the last 2 years.

Christmas 2007, I bought the Galant I have now, the same as yours in spec (but a manua), ~50k on the clock, 2003 model, one previous owner, immaculately maintained and that was going for £5,999 at a main dealer which I managed to negotiate down to £5,200.

Have a look at the typical examples on AutoTrader for an idea of price and then up your price sensibly and you sell, sell, sell points are the ones you raised here - hopefully that will help you get what you're looking for! :beatnik2:

andydckent
04-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Thats a beautiful looking example! I hope that you can get a good price for her but I think I'd be tempted to hold on to it personally. :)

I-S
04-11-2009, 05:13 PM

Elegance were 2.5 V6 while the 2.4 GDIs were badged as Equipe.

I owned a 2.4 GDI Elegance.

The OP's car is a very nice and well kept example, but I think £3500 would ultimately be optimistic. Maybe as an asking price, to close around £3200.

Rambaud
04-11-2009, 08:56 PM
I would even be pessimistic at £3200 in the current financial climate.

I think you might have to go under £3000 - which is a sort of cut-off figure - if you want to make a reasonably quick sale.

NU51
05-11-2009, 01:34 AM
Damn! car has not been out the garage more than a dozen times this year and sods law ... something goes wrong. Thankfully nothing major though. Electric arial would no longer go up or down (motor working but emitting a nasty grinding noise). Just spent the night removing and dismantling the electric arial (plastic toothed spline inside the arial mast had snapped). Hope i can just replace the arial mast and not have to replace the whole unit. Do any of you guys have experience of this and know any part #s?

Re sale price ... i was hoping something near the 6k mark but it 's now obvious I'm on another planet re the value of it :stars: :D . Oh well, I'm not desperate to sell it anyway and if the max i could expect is 3.5k then i might as well hang onto it as a toy (and possibly molest it next year with lowered suspension and better front brakes :D) and look for a cheaper truck as a workhorse.

But in the meantime (I agree with HMG1K), I should start monitoring Autotrader prices.

Thanks for your input and kind comments guys (even though it's brought me back down to earth with a bit of a bump :D)

ritch_w
05-11-2009, 09:24 AM
one of these universal types will work
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ELECTRIC-AERIAL-MITSUBISHI-FOR-EVO-GALANT-SHOGUN-PAJER_W0QQitemZ360185302626QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C arsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item53dcb78e62

I replaced mine - same probs are yours! one of the guys wrote up a guide on here on how to replace etc - you'll find it with search

lovely V6 BTW. If you value it, keep it unless you find an enthusiast willing to pay top dollar.

Rambaud
05-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Yes, too nice to sell. :)

My aerial was stuck at half mast - would not go up nor down.

Since it was over 7 years old, I decided to replace it. This was 2 years ago and it has been fine since.

Seems a relatively common fault with Galants?

HMG1K
05-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Seems a relatively common fault with Galants?

I went through two in the 17 years I had my 6th generation Galant.

Back in the day before such forums and the internet the dealer's always replaced the whole unit for a shocking amount.

Thank heavens for the internet and forums like this to stop such cash-stealing!

elnevio
05-11-2009, 06:44 PM
It was me that did it on a thread (could do with being an actual article!):

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30398&highlight=aerial

scc
05-11-2009, 09:03 PM
With a blow torcg you can gently melt the snapped ends back together again!

Scc

NU51
06-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Did a bit more trawling the net and found that the aerial mast is part # mb953709 for aerial motors of part # mr252137. Ordered it today at my local dealer since I was pleasantly surprised it's price was £35 + vat considering the ridiculous price of the full motor :D .

RussBird82
06-11-2009, 09:03 PM
I bought my 52 Elegance manual for £2,825 10 months ago from Zaid (ClubVR4 member), despite spending a further £1500 on essential maintenance (all new tyres, brakes, a couple of springs) and cosmetic work (ding removal, full wheel refurb etc) I wouldn't expect to get more than £3000 for it with 94,000 on the clock.

Nice shine by the way!

NU51
15-03-2010, 04:15 AM
thought i'd keep you nice guys updated /Wyhy

having looked around at what other vehicle options i have available given the estimated value of the Galant :sigh: :d
i simply can't find anything that i feel comes even remotely close to giving the "it's a lot of car for the cash" factor as the Galant does so ....

have decided to keep the car as a toy so i'm going to be a member of this forum for quite a while yet :D

and have recently started researching options to improve the brakes and handling /Steeringw ;) .

HMG1K
15-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Glad to hear you're sticking with your car! The money you would have got for such a mint car wouldn't have been worth parting with it.

Enjoy!

NU51
15-03-2010, 10:32 PM
thx HMG1K.

looking at your car (very tidy example it is too /Camera2) it looks like our car's were separated at birth ;) (manual vs auto aside) :happy:

Rambaud
16-03-2010, 08:50 AM
Glad to hear you're sticking with your car! The money you would have got for such a mint car wouldn't have been worth parting with it.

Enjoy!

I would tend to agree.

The question you have to ask yourself is - If this car was offered to you at (say) £3000, would you buy it? If the answer is Yes, then keep it.

NU51
16-03-2010, 11:33 AM
I'd never have thought about it from that point of view :smoking:
Thx Rambaud /Wyhy

HMG1K
16-03-2010, 11:38 AM
thx HMG1K.

looking at your car (very tidy example it is too /Camera2) it looks like our car's were separated at birth ;) (manual vs auto aside) :happy:

Thank you, NU51 /thankyou - that's really kind of you to say!

/Wyhy

NU51
16-03-2010, 07:45 PM
I just seen Johnny_Cashed has a well kept Elegance too.

HMG1K: I see you're running the Goodyear F1s too :thumbsup: AND you've put the same philips bulbs in yours /haz
you're stereo does however knock my std VDO item into the weeds tho :smart:
i was contemplating going down the car-pc route but it seems like too much hard work :dizzy2: so was thinking of replacing the VDO with 1 of those Fusion iPod units.

HMG1K
16-03-2010, 11:03 PM
HMG1K: I see you're running the Goodyear F1s too :thumbsup: AND you've put the same philips bulbs in yours /haz
you're stereo does however knock my std VDO item into the weeds tho :smart:
i was contemplating going down the car-pc route but it seems like too much hard work :dizzy2: so was thinking of replacing the VDO with 1 of those Fusion iPod units.

Yep, F1 asymmetrics all round! After reading the various threads on this site I settled on these. On my previous 6G Galant I was a Michellin man all the way for tyres.

Philips SilverVision indicator bulbs front and rear, and the top quality Philips X-Treme Power headlights too!

The Kenwood stereos I have are ones I've brought over from my 6G - great sound, graphic equalizer is fab. The speakers, Pioneer 3-way TSE series are wonderful.

I did want to change my stereo set up for a double DIN sat nav unit, but I want it to look the part, and I'm not sure if the surrounds that come with the units will fit around our double DIN dash hole. Another I am seriously considering is this unit: http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/25/121/61/DEX-P99RS/index.html - then I want to upgrade my Kenwood sub to this beauty: http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/25/121/61/DEX-P99RS/index.html