PDA

View Full Version : lcd or plasma ?

carlos-1975
04-11-2009, 08:27 PM
as much as i want it i cannot afford led
so what are the pros and cons of lcd or plasma as i have seen a 46" lcd tv i like and a 50" plasma which one and why?

Ryan
04-11-2009, 08:55 PM
LCD uses less significantly less power. Plasmas apparently display better blacks.

Check this out:

http://www.cnet.com.au/plasma-vs-lcd-which-is-right-for-you-240036500.htm

Nutter_John
04-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Carl why not keep the one you have now and save up until you can get the led one you want

carlos-1975
04-11-2009, 09:22 PM
dunno really dude cos i am a plum

Nutter_John
04-11-2009, 09:23 PM

he he at least your an honest plum :D

Mark 4
04-11-2009, 09:24 PM

Best reply - EVER.

Turbo_Steve
06-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Depends what size screen you want, what you want to watch, and what sort of image you like.

Oh, and frankly, unless you're getting a steal-of-the century deal, I wouldn't bother getting a new screen at the moment. LED backlight is due to start tumbling in price as soon as OLED panels come into production, which is turn may possibly fall in price if Mitsubishi's OLED Laser projectors are realised.

elnevio
06-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Good old Mitsi - ahead of the game!

"Coming to an MMCS near you soon!" :D

ANTHONY
06-11-2009, 11:37 PM
in the words of harry hill

only one way to find out .................FIGHT/Banana

ritch_w
07-11-2009, 09:57 AM
anything above 40" plasma!

try the AVforums for expert advice

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-televisions

I got mine from richer sounds and found them to be very helpful before I made my decision

CrossRoss
07-11-2009, 09:59 AM
[I got mine from richer sounds and found them to be very helpful before I made my decision[/QUOTE]
/GJ :iagree:

MarkSanne
07-11-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm a Plasma fan. I own two 42" Panasonic HD-ready plasma screens. Compared to similar priced LCD tv's these plasma displays produce a much smoother and more natural image in my opinion. About power-usage: a modern plasma indeed uses a bit more compared to LCD (let alone LED TVs) but... your large screen CRT TV uses about the same as plasma screens (or more!) And I've never heard anyone complain about that... If you're on the penny: maybe switch to Pruis too? ;)

chugg
07-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Yeah, we've got a 42" LG Plasma and a 32" Panasonic LCD , and I much prefer the plasma, great for gaming too. Definatley has blacker blacks, richer colours, better contrast ratio etc. But yes does use more leccy and screen burn can be an issue but is only temporary (you cant see it when switching on to something else, just when on a black screen, and goes within about 5 mins) and only happens when there is a fixed image on screen for a long time, such as channel logo in corner or HUD's on games etc.
At the end of the day it is personnal choice, both have pros and cons. The links and info the guys have given above are very good.

james996
07-11-2009, 06:28 PM
plasma all the way go to tescos direct panasonic range full hd not the hd model they are cheaper than the panasonic shop by alot and the panasonic give the best picture ever

oldgit9
07-11-2009, 06:51 PM
i've just bought a samsung 40" lcd. i done some research before hand. as i didn't have a clue what did what and what was the best at what. i also done a lot of on line price comparisons. with the major retail shops (such as commet, currys etc.) being the most expensive. in the end, i was recommended to try Crampton And Moore (click "HERE (http://www.cramptonandmoore.co.uk/)" for the web site). they were the best on line shop that i could find. they also threw in a 3 year warranty for the same price.

as mentioned before, it all depends what your going to do most with the TV. as in watching tv, movies or playing games. and what type of input devices you have. it's a bit pointless if your getting a high end tv that can produce good quality pictures, only to use low end input devices such as a standard sky or cable box. as the picture quality is still going to be crap.

Turbo_Steve
07-11-2009, 07:58 PM
In fact, it's even more complicated than that, as if your primary viewing source is going to be SD Sky (not HD) then it will be connected via SVIDEO or RGB Scart. Both are analogue sources, which means you'll generally get the best picture out of a TV set with analogue inputs configured direct to the render engine.

However, if you're truly going all HD, and plan to use nothing but HDMI inputs, you should be looking for a set with digital primaries, with the analogues before the switching engine.

It's nightmarishly difficult, but suffice to say I would not buy a TV without seeing it running on my equipment or intended equipment first, and any real dealer worth their salt will happily prepare this, or even offer a home demo for you.

And as for Panasonic having the best pictures.....that depends which model you're talking about, and which generation. The latest generation are excellent, however the previous ones were consistently beaten by Pioneer. The ones before that were great, but way over priced and as such Samsung gave you a better picture for your money.

The generation before that were okay in the domestic market but had terrible burn in problems and longevity issues in the commercial market, and consequently were consistently replaced by NEC or Hitachi sets, or even Sony TFTs (which at that time had just completed a massive catch-up!)

Really: choose one that looks good, read some reviews in What HiFi or similar and then ask for a home demo, preferably against 3 comparable models.
It's worth paying a small premium to go to a proper store-front dealer who will turn up in a van with 3 screens and show you all of them against each other on YOUR kit.

Confused
07-11-2009, 08:02 PM
It depends on what you'll be watching, and what sources you'll be pumping into it.

If you're mainly watching SD broadcasts/DVDs, then a non-full-HD plasma may be best, as they're the most forgiving with low-quality sources.

If mainly HD content or from a PC etc, then a full-HD Plasma/LCD are much of a muchness - it's personal preference, but, typically, it'd be LCD for <40", Plasma for >40".

When I got my 42", the full-HD plasmas were much more expensive than the LCD, and I was driving it mainly from a PC, so LCD was best at the time. With full-HD plasmas now, and the games/films I mainly use it for now, I'd probably go for plasma (especially as if replacing this time round I'd be going much larger than 42"! ;))

Current "LED" TVs are purely LED backlit LCD screens. Wait until OLED (Organic LED) screens are out, either the current LCD ones will come down massively in price, or the newer ones will be at similar price levels now.

Kenneth
08-11-2009, 12:05 AM
Jo and I got a 42" full HD plasma. Still haven't managed to setup the contrast/brightness properly yet and some of the colours run a bit (i.e. Red lettering is very hard to read)

Apart from that it is very good.
One of the main reasons we went for Plasma over LCD was actually because the screen is glass. While this does make it much heavier, it also means that it will survive one of the cats trying to catch a fly should it decide to rest on the screen.