PDA

View Full Version : newbie looking for alloys

mortalis
06-07-2004, 09:11 AM
I am looking to change the standard wheels on my Galant, is there anything I need to know lol....... ie upgrade suspension or maximun size anything not to do..... I apologuise if this is a simple question its just I have never upgraded wheels before and I done want to get caught out.

Kieran
06-07-2004, 09:29 AM
I am looking to change the standard wheels on my Galant, is there anything I need to know lol....... ie upgrade suspension or maximun size anything not to do..... I apologuise if this is a simple question its just I have never upgraded wheels before and I done want to get caught out.

First you need to know the wheel specs.

If it's a UK car then it's 4 x 114.3 with an offser between 35-42. Center bore is either 65 or 66, can't remember which now!:$

As long as the total rolling diameter doesn't change much you should be ok.

I've gone for 205/50 R16s, another popular choice is 215/45 R17.

Regarding suspension, the favourite suspension modification for UK cars is eiback pro-kit springs with Bilstein shocks - these provide increased cornering ability AND a better ride quality - on the standard UK models I think this is a weak area, so it's a worthwhile upgrade.

If you need more detail, use the 'Search' button at the top of the forum - lots of info will be yours! :) :-D

ritch_w
06-07-2004, 04:44 PM
totally agree with wot Kieran said

stick to 7.5 x 17s with 215/45/17 tyres (this is standard fit on UK V6 sports)
I'll be sticking to theses sizes once i get the funds to change my standard 17" alloys.

eibach suspension - oh yes - these are the boys to have. you can get cheaper springs for around £100 - but i would not compremise the my comfort or handling for these.
The eibachs are progressive and improve everything- looks / handling / comfort - i cannot endorse them enough!!!! The next best thing is eibachs and bilsteins (around £45 a corner from here - http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/)
posted prices & part nos in another thread asking same questions - search and you'll find!!

follow these simple instructions for galant nirvana!! :D