PDA

View Full Version : Vr4 gearbox problem

Gav0896
07-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Hi
I was hoping for some advice in relation to the vr4 tiptronic box. I have been to see a vr4 today and really liked the car however when I put the car in drive the car moves forward then kind of jumps out of gear and the engine just revs. When you use the tiptronic the car changes gear as it should and changes down automatically. But this problem in full auto put me off buying the car. It's a 98 vr4 if that helps. Was just wondering if anyone else has come accross this problem and is it a cheap or expensive fix

thanks

Davezj
07-11-2009, 07:30 PM
it is just a hunch but i think there was a thread on here about a year ago when the same issue was described.
it could be something to do with a broken bracket holding the auto gear box cable in place, which when in D is allowed to move about and knocks the geargox into nutral or something like that.

but it would be worth searching on "gear box bracket"or "jumping out of D" or "auto box bracket"

hope you find an answer

peter thomson
07-11-2009, 07:32 PM
That is also caused by having the wrong gearbox matched with the wrong auto ecu

Gav0896
07-11-2009, 08:47 PM
The guy I was going to buy it off assured me that it had been like that since he had owned it. I think a previous owner was on here as it had a vr4 owners club badge.

peter thomson
07-11-2009, 09:25 PM
If it had a gearbox change at some time that would explain the problem

Gav0896
07-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Would it need a new ecu or could the box be paired with the ecu do you know. Thanks for the advice.

peter thomson
07-11-2009, 09:45 PM
It would need a matching ECU. Is it a facelift or pre facelift VR4. You need to check if the box has OWC stamped on the top of the gearbox casing if possible to try and confirm if this is the problem. I have a spare ecu for an OWC box if this is the problem but you can then have problems with the traction control as there are very few facelifts with traction control. It's a bit of a win ,no win situation and it may be better to walk away and look for another one.

Gav0896
07-11-2009, 10:28 PM
It's funny you should mention the traction control cause he said the em light came on last week and the tc light lit up saying off. It's a 98 pre facelift I think

peter thomson
07-11-2009, 10:31 PM
I really would walk away from it as it seems to have a few potenial problems

bradc
08-11-2009, 03:22 AM
I agree with Peter, walk away. The gearboxes cost a heap to fix.

Unless of you are getting it for 1000 pounds or less and have a bit of money to get it sorted.

Gav0896
09-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Thanks for all the advise I have been given so far, a bit of an update the car was checked over today and they discovered although the gearbox kicks out of gear when you try and pull off in drive when you use the tiptronic and then transfer into D from 2nd the car changes up and down through the gears as usual. The car was linked to the computer and it showed no faults, as this is not yet my car Im not sure where or who looked at the vehicle but he mentioned it could be something to do with a selector or drive plate.

Im obviously no mechanic lol, but I really like the looks of this car and if anyone has any more ideas as to what may be the problem subject to it not being a massive problem Im thinking of doing a deal with the current owner, as such any information on potential problems would be massively appreicated.

(I know I have done the usual newbie introductions but i will do all these if and when I get myself a VR4, cheers for all the advise so far)

peter thomson
09-11-2009, 06:09 PM
That is an auto ecu gearbox problem. Either the ecu or gearbox have been replaced at some time without matching the 2 together.

White Lightning
09-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Give us some more details on the car.

If it's an ex-members car, the history may well be recorded on the forum.

Gav0896
09-11-2009, 07:07 PM
This is the car in question on pistonheads

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1196500.htm

thanks

elnevio
09-11-2009, 07:27 PM
That is Big Ian's old Galant Super VR-4. It is actually rather rare - but he had a massive heap of problems, and it has, IIRC, changed hands repeatedly in recent times. Maybe due to unresolved problems with it.

Search through Big Ian's posts. Here's the last thread that mentioned it though: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43027

It would seem that the existing advice of 'walk away' is potentially sensible. But it is a great looker of a car... the old heart v head syndrome!

Gav0896
09-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Well just Reading that link alone it's defo time to walk away. Shame though it does look really nice. But by the sounds of it if it's had a heavy shunt and needs a new box then I'm not interested. Thanks very much elnivio you have saved me making a big mistake. The search continues.