PDA

View Full Version : I'm in trouble,pls HELP!

Ralliart1
07-11-2009, 07:19 PM
How the title said I'm in big trouble.Today I remove the tappets to give them a cleaning.Using the special tool from ebay,was really easy,but to take out all of them I've had to rotate the camshaft.Here I did the big mistake/wall ,I put a 17 spanner to the pulley screw and rotate from there.When the engine make compression,the pulley jumps a few teeth under the cambelt./Hissy
What I have to do now?

Nutter_John
07-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Sounds like you will have to take the cambelt tensioner off and line up the whole lot .

Ralliart1
07-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Sounds like you will have to take the cambelt tensioner off and line up the whole lot .

Thanks John,this was my nightmare,never did before.Today I told for my friend that I have to learn how to do!

Nutter_John
07-11-2009, 07:42 PM
There is a how too in the members section , you should be able to do it no problem . Once you have the covers off and backed off the tensioner you should be able to move the camshaft back the number of teeth without removing the belt

Ralliart1
07-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Now I've had read the cambelt change article,try to learn it word by word...

GalantOnly
07-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Remove spark plugs next time you want to rotate camshafts /yes

Ralliart1
07-11-2009, 11:17 PM
Remove spark plugs next time you want to rotate camshafts /yes

Oh yes,I did,but was too late...

Nick Mann
07-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Or rotate from the crank and not the cam.

I'd have a look at the teeth on the belt - if it were my car I'd seriously consider a new belt to make sure that there is no damage to the teeth.

Gowf
07-11-2009, 11:48 PM
you may be able to skip them back, i have in the past. However you shouldnt ever really turn an engine over by the cams, not that helps you im afraid. Take the covers off and see how many teeth you are out by, but as nick has also said, if your going to the trouble of taking everything off, id just replace it and the water pump. They can have a tendency to leak after retensioning, age dependant of course.

Ralliart1
08-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks everybody for comments,I learned again something.The car is done,works perfect,no tappet noise at all.I was stupid that I rotate the engine from camshaft pulley,but a lucky stupid,cose when rotate it back jumping back a few teeth.Unmonted the covers ,rotating the engine (this time from crank )to timing marks,and all four cam pulley's marks matching the marks on the rocker cover.So I was bloody lucky...
PS:-just for fun-the rocker cover's fixing screw's plate with the rubber bit on,can be easily removed from turbo with a vacumcleaner.:toilet:
2x lucky...
Wasn't my car,so haven't authorisation to change the cambelt or waterpump.

Gowf
08-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Glad to hear it buddy, like i said above, its the best way to try it, but doesnt always work. Glad it saved the effort, time and ballache of doing the belts.

swinks
08-11-2009, 03:58 PM
For a future reference, you can remove tappets by lifting them up by air compressor thru spark plug holes.

Ralliart1
08-11-2009, 04:21 PM
For a future reference, you can remove tappets by lifting them up by air compressor thru spark plug holes.
The tappets coming out without problem,but must rotate the camshaft,cose two of them catching the cams in both sides.

Davezj
08-11-2009, 05:17 PM
personally i do it the easy way and just crank the engine over on the starter motor until the cam lobe is out of the way. it only takes a couple of 1/2 a second cranks and you can watch cam lobe rotate out of the way.

here is a warning though, don't crank the engine for any length of time with the rocker covers off however tempting this may be, as oil is sprayed out of the little hole next to where the oil filler cap was. you know the one.

so only do 1/2 second cranks at a time. you might need 2 or 3 to get the cam in the correct position. this is very easy and hassle free.

Ralliart1
08-11-2009, 06:03 PM
personally i do it the easy way and just crank the engine over on the starter motor until the cam lobe is out of the way. it only takes a couple of 1/2 a second cranks and you can watch cam lobe rotate out of the way.

here is a warning though, don't crank the engine for any length of time with the rocker covers off however tempting this may be, as oil is sprayed out of the little hole next to where the oil filler cap was. you know the one.

so only do 1/2 second cranks at a time. you might need 2 or 3 to get the cam in the correct position. this is very easy and hassle free.

Yes,is very easy how you saids,but I worry to do like this,I did just the front 12 lifters,the oil was drained from engine,oilfilter down,etc.With a rachet was easy as well to rotate the engine,of course more job,lifting the car,removing the wheel,but the lazyness doesn't pay out for me...

GalantOnly
08-11-2009, 06:13 PM
If you're really lazy, you will not remove the wheel... Just turn steering wheel all the way to the right and take the key out.../yes

peter thomson
08-11-2009, 06:40 PM
If you're really lazy, you will not remove the wheel... Just turn steering wheel all the way to the right and take the key out.../yes

That's what I did