PDA

View Full Version : Help: Need lifters fixed

menace32
10-11-2009, 02:14 AM
Hi Guys,

I live in Taupo and keen to get my lifters done. (tick tick)Has anyone got any ideas of where a good mechanic can do it close to me.
And if anyones got it done Id like to hear about it and your opinion.

Cheers

Ryan
10-11-2009, 02:20 AM
Hello.

Just because your lifters are ticking does not necessarily mean they require replacement - it's common in our engines.

What car do you have, what mileage etc and why do you want to replace them?

scott.mohekey
10-11-2009, 03:44 AM
As Ryan says, just because they're ticking, doesn't mean they need replacing. Often, just an oil flush and change is enough to quieten them down, optionally including an additive to enable the oil to flow through the lifters easier. And if that doesn't work, there's a procedure you can follow to flush the oil from the lifters themselves.

menace32
10-11-2009, 07:56 AM
Hey Ryan and Smohekey, My Vr4 is 98 and done 155 thou.. Yeah my thort was a flush I use additives all the time now up to 3 bottles this weekend after having a oil change.,. Would like to hear more about lifter flush....

Cheers

Gly
10-11-2009, 08:38 AM
which additives??

theres only one that really works, (i wouldnt recommend any other)

proma mbl8

wintertidenz
10-11-2009, 08:55 AM
Are you using fuel additives or oil additives? Sounds like you're using fuel additives, which definitely won't help.

Ryan
10-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Hey Ryan and Smohekey, My Vr4 is 98 and done 155 thou.. Yeah my thort was a flush I use additives all the time now up to 3 bottles this weekend after having a oil change.,. Would like to hear more about lifter flush....

Cheers

Ultimately no "oil / additive " will ever compensate for the metal/on/metal wear. You can mute the sound but that is about all - you will never fix the problem with any additive.

If you've only experienced a difference in sound, don't worry about it. Regularly change the oil (every 5000km) for turbo application.

I've done 171 000km. My car ticks for a while till everything is up till operating temperature then it goes away.

taupodrifta
10-11-2009, 09:18 AM
hey mate I have a set of cleaned lifters here and am also in Taupo I can have a look at it if you want

aaron68nz
11-11-2009, 01:18 AM
Hi Guys,

I live in Taupo and keen to get my lifters done. (tick tick)Has anyone got any ideas of where a good mechanic can do it close to me.
And if anyones got it done Id like to hear about it and your opinion.

Cheers

Have experimented with nulon E30 engine treatment lately. It quietens the engine, but for how long depends on how much you put in. A 500ml bottle only keeps things quiet for about 1,500km though before you'll need to add more. The E20 won't last as many kms as it is less concentrated.