PDA

View Full Version : Back to Turbos...

valmes
07-07-2004, 08:08 AM
Anyone has upgraded them yet?

The numbers on stock turbos are(Front&Rear):
49131-04300
49131-04100

What are they? Name? CFM? FlowMaps? Max HP output? Did Mitsubishi produce them only for 8g VR-4?

The space for front turbo is quite tight... the rear one is constrained even more... fitting bigger turbos might be a problem.

Any information would be appreciated, since I removed stock turbos from the car and right now looking for ways of replacing/upgrading them.

pjjohnson
07-07-2004, 09:19 AM
They are Mitsubishi TC03-06a Turbos. You can get them upgraded by fitting bigger, 'better' compressor wheels and 360 degree bearings.

Fitting bigger ones was a problem, so I had mine done at Turbosport in the UK, and its been posted that Majestic Turbos in the USA also do them.

I didn't have flow maps done or got any quotable numbers for you but they did make a difference.

borgan
07-07-2004, 01:45 PM
cfm per turbo roughly 120 & with modifications you can flow between 20-25% more air. Hp range of aprox 360 std & between 430-450 modified. More airflow can be got but turbo rebuilders have concerns with strength of shaft (very thin) so reliabilty of turbos drops dramatically if you're after more than 450 hp on these units.
If you want straight replacement then Buzz in japan make them (quite expensive). Otherwise you can get them rebuilt, mine were done by Majestic in the states. Final option is to upgrade to a single turbo. Done by FTOLTD with very good results.
Yet to find anyone with a compressor map for this turbo.

valmes
09-07-2004, 09:50 AM
Thanks for info.

Hmm... :dozey: - 120 cfm per turbo doesnt seem to be right... were did this info come from?

According to other sources our turbos flow the same as pair of 9Bs that come stock on 3000gt.

PS: Contacted Majestic Turbos. Will call them Monday, to find out more.

Mante
15-07-2004, 04:36 AM
They are Mitsubishi TC03-06a Turbos. You can get them upgraded by fitting bigger, 'better' compressor wheels and 360 degree bearings.

Fitting bigger ones was a problem, so I had mine done at Turbosport in the UK, and its been posted that Majestic Turbos in the USA also do them.

I didn't have flow maps done or got any quotable numbers for you but they did make a difference.

Do you still have the part #'s from majesticturbo.com (http://www.majesticturbo.com) ? What did you upgrade to if you dont mind me asking?

borgan
15-07-2004, 08:25 AM
You're right Valmes, figures for cfm are low. Must have divided by 2 (twin turbos) by mistake. Lb/min to cfm conversion appears to be between 13.3 & 14.7 depending on conditions etc. Does 240-260 cfm for std turbo sound about right.

Mante, no part number from Majestic as they rebuild your own units. Speak to kevin, he's very helpful.

jerryd_33
26-07-2004, 11:08 PM
if it will help anyone with turbo problems and depending on where those in question live , there is a place in Brentford -- Middlesex , called --- " TURBO DEVELOPMENTS " . they were quite very reasonable price wise when i had my Nissan Bluebird `s turbo repaired . i do not know if these phone numbers are still applicable but they are all i have for now ----- 0208 560 3927 --- fax 0208 560 3928 --- mob. 0860 449827 .