PDA

View Full Version : i dont know what car to get!

bhpamzz
12-11-2009, 04:22 AM
right im in a very confused state!

now heres my problem i want somethng fast and reliable.
i have looked at;
-200sx's
-legacy bh5 gtb's
-evo's
-impreza sti's
-and ofcourse the legnum vr4

now i have never been in legnum or driven one before so have no idea how fast they are and what the autos are like in them.

how would you guys compare the legnums to an evo now i'v been in evo's countless times and i think its the closest thing to an evo without being an evo.

but i want something different so i really dont want to buy an evo.
i mean all the cars i have listed are nice but they are just typical to see on the road and just dont have the aggressive looks and pressence like the legnum.

mattnz
12-11-2009, 04:53 AM
The VR4 is the gentleman's evo :)

Also, get a Galant :):)

bradc
12-11-2009, 05:32 AM
XJ220 is better :)

Nick Mann
12-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Just replied to this in your other thread:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44359

bhpamzz
13-11-2009, 02:26 AM
nick sory dude i just feel a little put off by the service intervals on the vr-4 scared me abit.

and now i am confused about what to get...........

bhpamzz
13-11-2009, 02:29 AM
xj220!!

i wish...

Nick Mann
13-11-2009, 09:46 AM
nick sory dude i just feel a little put off by the service intervals on the vr-4 scared me abit.

and now i am confused about what to get...........

The VR4 service schedule is about the same as the Evo AFAIK.

chris g
13-11-2009, 10:15 AM
If you choose Subaru Impreza Turbo you may find some concerns about engine problems, piston slap issues, rebuild being required...

It seems Evo owners have turned to the dark side because of these Scooby problems...

This may just be anecdotal stuff and bashing another brand but when you hear this sort of stuff, its the kind of thing that pushes you towards another manufacturer...

Ans as for VR-4 servicing, if you get a full service done on purchase inc ALL belts and fluids, then service intervals can be extended if car for everyday use...

Amsoil is that good...

For regular hard charging and track use, then more adherence to expected service intervals/fluid changes is prob best

Other people may comment about that and their preferences...

May help you decide about VR-4 ownership...

eyeballprawn
13-11-2009, 10:54 AM
If you like driving a truck then buy a Subaru. Because all the Subarus I've driven feel like that, not to mention the really cheap, cramped interiors.

In contrast, the VR-4s feel like a smooth, fine machine to drive. I love just going for a drive to nowhere in particular for absolutely no reason at all apart from the enjoyment.

But perhaps to start with, you should consider whether or not you need a wagon.

Gowf
13-11-2009, 12:00 PM
There is a fair contrast on your list regarding cars, but here's my 2p's worth.

I used to own an Audi S6 Avant that had been 'played with' somewhat. It was a truly awesome car up until the day my tallent ran out. So after that i was after another estate car that had similar performance/comfort, etc. So i bought a S14 touring 200sx!?!
It only had 40k on the clock and was running just shy of 300bhp. Totally loved this car although didnt fit the estate, or passenger criteria in real way. I ended up selling becuase of the way i was driving it i was sure to lose the licence, dont think that the police look to favourably on the phrase sideways is the new forwards.
From there i bought the VR4, but a manual, and it took me ages to find one that i considered good enough.
When it was then off the road for a while, as tends to happen with this due to what has been done to it, I bought an R33 GTST to run about in. And what a car it was! Totaly stock when i bought it, so it needed a few things to bring it up to the level of acceptance.

Now although all of these cars are inherently different in the way they drive/ comfort etc I will say this. The audi clearly destroyed the competition in terms of motorway driving for comfort and ease of speed. The skyline was just epic in every way and i'd have another one tomorrow. The 200 was more suited to pure agression and was a little more nimble than the skyline, but lost out on the real high speed stuff, and then your left with the legnum.......

Well i still own it, for various reasons, but they are a damn good car. And of the 4wd's ive owned its probably the best all rounder. The evo's are all well and good, but you have to 'drive' them everywhere as they're not truly happy just pottering about. Whereas with the VR4's you get the best of both worlds. They are sloppy in comparison, but you can drive them to the shops without feeling the need to find a forest to go through on the way.
The GTB's cannot be ruled out however, but i will say this, think its bad to work on a VR4? GTB's are a total nightmare..... my friend has one, and i just wouldnt, although they are quicker in standard form.

So you really need to decide what your driving style is and what you want the car for.... as you can tell, im still totaly undecided myself, its not an easy question to answer. But i will say, test drive a good example of them all (make sure you test a manual VR4) and go from there.

Or just buy a skyline and be done with it!!!!

Dom B
13-11-2009, 12:37 PM
xj220!!

i wish...

you can still buy them brand new in the UK, they have a warehouse of them i think they go for about £125000 at the moment. Not great to drive from what i hear but they look beautiful anyway. I'd prefer an xjr15 though, you do get the v12 in that one.:thumbsup:

AlanDITD
13-11-2009, 02:01 PM
There is a fair contrast on your list regarding cars, but here's my 2p's worth.

I used to own an Audi S6 Avant that had been 'played with' somewhat. It was a truly awesome car up until the day my tallent ran out. So after that i was after another estate car that had similar performance/comfort, etc. So i bought a S14 touring 200sx!?!
It only had 40k on the clock and was running just shy of 300bhp. Totally loved this car although didnt fit the estate, or passenger criteria in real way. I ended up selling becuase of the way i was driving it i was sure to lose the licence, dont think that the police look to favourably on the phrase sideways is the new forwards.
From there i bought the VR4, but a manual, and it took me ages to find one that i considered good enough.
When it was then off the road for a while, as tends to happen with this due to what has been done to it, I bought an R33 GTST to run about in. And what a car it was! Totaly stock when i bought it, so it needed a few things to bring it up to the level of acceptance.

Now although all of these cars are inherently different in the way they drive/ comfort etc I will say this. The audi clearly destroyed the competition in terms of motorway driving for comfort and ease of speed. The skyline was just epic in every way and i'd have another one tomorrow. The 200 was more suited to pure agression and was a little more nimble than the skyline, but lost out on the real high speed stuff, and then your left with the legnum.......

Well i still own it, for various reasons, but they are a damn good car. And of the 4wd's ive owned its probably the best all rounder. The evo's are all well and good, but you have to 'drive' them everywhere as they're not truly happy just pottering about. Whereas with the VR4's you get the best of both worlds. They are sloppy in comparison, but you can drive them to the shops without feeling the need to find a forest to go through on the way.
The GTB's cannot be ruled out however, but i will say this, think its bad to work on a VR4? GTB's are a total nightmare..... my friend has one, and i just wouldnt, although they are quicker in standard form.

So you really need to decide what your driving style is and what you want the car for.... as you can tell, im still totaly undecided myself, its not an easy question to answer. But i will say, test drive a good example of them all (make sure you test a manual VR4) and go from there.

Or just buy a skyline and be done with it!!!!

Was the GTST actually that good mate? I thought they were pretty slow in standard form, well not slow but certainley not blisteringly quick. Or is the upgrade path pretty simple and easy to make good power?

Bailey
13-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Hi fella, hard choise, some very good cars there. Having driven all but the legacy i'd still go for the VR4.
With the VR4 you get a nice cruieser for pottering round and long motorway trips but then put your foot down and it turns into a monster that keeps you smileying all day. I've got a a legnum auto at the moment which is great but if i had the choice again i'd prob hold out for a manule.

I see your in heathrow which aint that far away, i'd happly take u out in mine if you want to see what there like.

cheers

Bailey

bhpamzz
13-11-2009, 03:49 PM
hi everyone thanks for the kind replys, bailey that would be great!!
you should defo come down sometime i would love to see what the auto is like and it performs. bring it down dude!

Gowf
13-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Was the GTST actually that good mate? I thought they were pretty slow in standard form, well not slow but certainley not blisteringly quick. Or is the upgrade path pretty simple and easy to make good power?

Well turbo was dead when i bought it so put a bigger one on for £800, new exhaust, new coil packs, and it was running over 300.

As for speed it would cruise quite happily at 170mph..... does a vr4 do that?

It was totaly awesome once you got used to the rear wheel steer. All that it needed was bigger injectors, a front mount and an ecu (everyone seems to go for Fcon) and it would have been up to the 400-450mark. Far more fun to drive than the VR4, just loved it

Eurospec
13-11-2009, 05:36 PM
And you could sit it in the car park and light your fag off the flames out the exhaust! How cool is that!

Need to change the chg to go beyond say a bar of boost too.

Cheers,

Ben.

Ryan
13-11-2009, 08:43 PM
GTB's are a total nightmare..... my friend has one, and i just wouldnt, although they are quicker in standard form.

I'm not trying to start a Subaru Vs Mitsubishi debate here but I assume you're comparing a manual GT-B with a manual VR-4?

If so, I'm curious to know what makes the GT-B faster than the VR-4 considering that the VR-4 produces peak torque and power earlier in the rev range than the GT-B, not to mention the "VOD" that the sequential turbo is setup is renowned for.

Cheers :)

bradc
13-11-2009, 09:16 PM
A manual GTB will be about the same as a VR-4, quite a bit lighter, but less power. The difference is that those are impossible to get good power out of without converting to a single turbo setup, and then you may as well have bought an impreza.

mattnz
13-11-2009, 10:12 PM
I would've thought it would blow the VR4 away at high speed, when the big turbo kicks in.

bradc
13-11-2009, 11:51 PM
Above 6000rpm sure, the VR-4 drops off in power above 5500rpm (206kw), levelling off to about 185kw at 6500rpm. The twin turbo Subaru's on the other hand have 206kw at 6500rpm. At all points below 6000rpm though the VR-4 will make a lot more power.

Scanny
14-11-2009, 12:40 AM
i cant speak from experience from any of those cars but i am a very fussy driver and i have had the same questions as i am sure many others here have too. my opinions based on what i have picked up over the years are:
200SX has a reputation for weak turbos
EVOs are rally cars made road legal whereas the VR4 is a fast luxury car but not many people know them whereas an EVO is instantly recognisable. im not too keen on the 7/8/9 looks compared to the 6
scoobies are competition for the EVO but cheaper and therefore you cant go out without seeing one. remember when every street corner had an XR3i? now its scoobies!
i have also considered the 3000GT/GTO but they are heavy and are reputedly unreliable. they dont look aggressive but they are absolutely stunning cars to look at although there are not many around that are not red.
MR2 turbo? fast and fun but impractical
300ZX? im not keen on their looks but that is personal taste.
the S15 is a nice looking car and not too common

you cant really directly compare something like a 200SX to a VR4 because they are designed for different jobs. a 200SX is a sports car ie a toy whereas the galant is an everyday car with different engines to allow choice of application. i am on my 2nd galant and i am replacing it with my 3rd next year if the right one comes along. facelift manual type V. one factor of importance to me is reliability. in 4 1/2 years of driving 8G galants, the only time the AA have been called was due to a stone going through my radiator. NOTHING has failed on either of my galants and my most expensive MOT was £300 including the supply and fit of the only thing picked up which was the cat. the service intervals of the VR4 may not be too far apart but you wont need a mechanic to work on the car between them so you wont lose money on repairs or down time.

bhpamzz
14-11-2009, 02:37 AM
oh no i think i turned this into a gtb vs vr4 thread!!!!

well i think i will be marking out the gtb. no matter how many cars i look at i always come back to the vr4 and tell myself what a car!!

i will most likely be going for a vr4 i just hope i find a manual in my budget in decent condition!! and a nice colour i would love a grey one.

another thing i would like to ask is how much does it roughly cost to convert an auto vr4 to a manual??

g35
18-11-2009, 10:05 PM
I think its down to how much money you want to spend. I bought the VR4 after having a Nissan 200sx S15 and a Nissan Skyline 350GT. All are very different. The S15 was an ideal drifters car and had a ball bearing turbo-charged engine. The Skyline was heavier but had a smooth V6 engine. The move to a VR4 combined turbo power with a V6. Its the best of both - its just more difficult to drift than a 200sx!
I would prioritise what is most important to you (power/no of doors/size/mpg/style/age etc) and work out which of your list ticks the most boxes. 8 times out of 10 its should be either the VR4 or an Evo!

Ghost_2008
19-11-2009, 01:11 PM
A VR4 will cost anywhere from £3000 ish and up and the coversion to manual will cost approximately £1000-£2000 depending on who does the work..... but have a search and you'll find all the details on here......... it may even be worth considering buying the auto and doing the conversion at a later date, obviousley depending on what becomes available...........

White Lightning
19-11-2009, 01:56 PM
A VR4 will cost anywhere from £3000 ish and up

Not it won't. Here's a lovely example for £2495:
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43885

And I am just 15 minutes from Heathrow :deal2:

Bailey
19-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Hi fella sorry i havent been on latley, give me a pm if u still wont to meet up