PDA

View Full Version : Driving and Texting don't mix

g8legnum
14-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Filmlet that's rather graphic on the consequences of texting and driving. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0LCmStIw9E One that I think everyone who is surgically attached to their mobile phone should watch right through

Turbo_Steve
14-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Hmm..Shock and awe: and unlikely to be seen on TV, which is, perhaps, a shame.

pitslayer
14-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Not this one again, ripped it to pieces last time it was shown, wasted time and money filming that.

Lets face it, it would never go down like that, regardless of who you are, whenever you are a passenger you are always vigilent of whats going on, and would mention that you are heading for another car.

The mondogo would of seen this happening, as lets face it, a car wandering across the road, means I am going to apply brakes and stop.

Last point why on earth, for the love of **** was that red Fiesta driving down the wrong side of the road, what was he doing, rubber necking for a better look?

Actually one final point, it was filmed in Tredegar, and if anything this video just shows Darwins theory working I have been there several times, and you know when you are in Tredegar because someone does something really really dumb. I was up there once when I saw the Tredegar milk truck, I say milk truck losely, it was actually a smiley face Transit van, not a pickup, a van. So what did they do for ease of access for milk distribution? They got an angle grinder out, and cut the side panels out, they left
3" after the B piller of metal
Every thing below the load bed, including the inner arches, looked wierd
The roof
Now your thinking nothing wrong with that...Really? Here is the best bit, not the kids hanging off the side whilst doing 30mph down the road, but they left the rear doors on, and had put a massive great padlock across the doors! Why? To stop people breaking in to it....You cut the sides of you dumb *****!

I dont touch my phone whilst I drive, if it rings, it rings, if a message goes off, a message goes off I do not touch it, as for texting whilst driving it takes me hours to write out one text when I am stood still let alone trying to do it in a car

I hope my taxes didnt fund this useless drivel.

miller
14-11-2009, 02:25 PM
three

two

one

and your back in the room!

Turbo_Steve
14-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Pits...perhaps the ad is aimed at stupid people? Y'know....those who text whilst driving?

And as for other cars averting accidents......I'm not afraid to admit I've misjudged an overtake or two in my life. And as you're on the wrong side of the road, with a lorry on your left, nowhere to pull in and a mondeo heading towards you, what do they do? Do they brake? Do they swerve? No. They flash their lights. I mean WTF is that all about? Do they think I can't see them? Do they think that my poor judgement should be commented on BEFORE they take steps to save everyone from horrific injuries?

So no, I utterly disagree: The trailer is aimed at people who won't be looking at it with your cynicism, and if you're relying on other drives to have even one, single, iota of common sense, you're wrong. Emotions come before safety every time.

If it saves a single life, the advert was worth it. I notice that the accident sequence is less than 30% of the total length of the film, and it mainly focusses on the consequences of the accident rather than how it happened. Perhaps food-for-thought for everyone, not just the texters?

g8legnum
14-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Absolutely right Steve. The film is not an advert, but a movie in its own right. Apparently it was made for less than £10K using local actors. The director was looking to do a follow-up to a film ha made 15 years ago about joyriding. He was pointed in the direction of texting while driving as being more relevant to today.

As for being seen in the wider sense, it may be seen on BBC as it is already available on iPlayer.

Alex
14-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Personally I think that messages about issues like this, delivered in whatever form, are worth their weight in gold. If it makes one person think, and then behave more responsibly, then it is certainly not a waste IMHO. I also think that this was incredibly well made, and deserves credit for that if nothing else.

I fail to see how going into a rant about make shift milk floats in Tredegar has got any relevance here at all. It perhaps indicates the purile level on which you view things Pitslayer??

aboo
14-11-2009, 07:35 PM
I do hate seeing people texting while driveing & the film maker should get some credit for taking 3 more Fords of the road.

pitslayer
14-11-2009, 07:52 PM
The video holds no credibility or weight with me what so ever, its just another stupid waste of money, all they have succesfully shown me and many others who have seen this video is that people in Tredegar can fire Fords at each other.

Look at the video properly, that impact even in a KA has caused so little damage I highly doubt, even with no seatbelts on that many people will die. 27 seconds in, not even a write off, just pull the front end out on both, new wing, new slam panel, bonnet, light and a bumper for both cars. Yet I am supposed to believe they are dead?

How about all three of them, intently watching the phone, and the driver intently watching the phone, sorry self preservation always kicks in, and your self preservation is going "I am driving a car and not look where I am going, lets take a look at where I am going"

Again I will point out, why, honestly, give me a valid reason that, that Fiesta should be on the wrong side of the road, and boosh into them?
Give me a valid reason, and I mean a valid reason for that Fiesta being there, and what it exactly has to do with texting.

Is that Fiesta overtaking? Well in the first 27 seconds the Fiesta isnt even shown as behind, the KA, let alone overtaking, and why does that person need to overtake with that little amount of traffic on the road.

Perhaps that Fiesta by the looks of it has happily been driving down the wrong side of the road?

Now look at the KA, dont ask me why I know this, but thats a 55 plate, so it should have a passenger airbag system which didnt go off, wierd, also noticed the pre tensioners in the seatbelt didnt go off as she smacked her head on the dash.

Call it Puerile if you want, I call it, looking at it logically with some common sense.

You honestly think people who see these adverts pay any attention to them? I bet your the type of person who will see all this dont speed propaganda then mention how horrific the ad is, but I would put money on all of you having your foot creep down on the go pedal from time to time?

I bet you have all seen the dont drink and drive ones, and see how nasty the videos are for that and think "oooh thats nasty" I bet you have all had a beer and driven home (btw I can happily say that as I dont drink alcohol)

Here is a really good idea, instead of wasting sh*t loads of money on these stupid adverts, why not just increase the fines, remember most insurance companies dont care about 3 points anymore, increase anything to do with phones whilst driving to 60 points and £150 fine, that will drive the message home, how about the drink driving, dont just ban people, thats a waste of time, lock them up for a few weeks with a massive fine, the more times they are caught the longer they get.

We need to stop wasting money on crappy over exaggerated adverts directed by Michael Bay wannabes and spend money on real policing, or even just simple adverts black background white writing "Texting whilst drivng 6 points £150 fine, get caught twice, thats a ban"

On top of all of that, who honestly can raise there hands up and say they sit through the adverts whilst watching there telly boxes? I dont watch telly box much, but when ever I do and adverts come on, I change channel, which means I like many others dont see these adverts anyways

Made for 10k? 55 plate Ka will set you back around 4k, a mondeo £1200, fiesta £600, thats half the budget gone already, expect me to believe that?

10k could be used doing something useful to combat people on there phone

elnevio
14-11-2009, 09:03 PM
:ranton: :furious4:

I-S
14-11-2009, 11:35 PM
The video holds no credibility or weight with me what so ever,

It's just like looking in a mirror...

its just another stupid waste of money, all they have succesfully shown me and many others who have seen this video is that people in Tredegar can fire Fords at each other.

Oh yay, you know where it is. Apparently, you've missed the point.

Look at the video properly, that impact even in a KA has caused so little damage I highly doubt, even with no seatbelts on that many people will die. 27 seconds in, not even a write off, just pull the front end out on both, new wing, new slam panel, bonnet, light and a bumper for both cars. Yet I am supposed to believe they are dead?

It's called the suspension of disbelief. Everyone knows it's not real. Apparently, you've missed the point...

How about all three of them, intently watching the phone, and the driver intently watching the phone, sorry self preservation always kicks in, and your self preservation is going "I am driving a car and not look where I am going, lets take a look at where I am going"

You need to get out more if you never seen anyone driving badly because they're messing with a phone or texting. YOU might be ever so wonderful not to do that, but there's a huge number of people out there who do. But apparently, you've missed the point.

Again I will point out, why, honestly, give me a valid reason that, that Fiesta should be on the wrong side of the road, and boosh into them?
Give me a valid reason, and I mean a valid reason for that Fiesta being there, and what it exactly has to do with texting.

Is that Fiesta overtaking? Well in the first 27 seconds the Fiesta isnt even shown as behind, the KA, let alone overtaking, and why does that person need to overtake with that little amount of traffic on the road.

Perhaps that Fiesta by the looks of it has happily been driving down the wrong side of the road?

Apparently, you've missed the point.

Now look at the KA, dont ask me why I know this, but thats a 55 plate, so it should have a passenger airbag system which didnt go off, wierd, also noticed the pre tensioners in the seatbelt didnt go off as she smacked her head on the dash.

Apparently, you've missed the point.

Call it Puerile if you want,

Not what I was going to, but I'm impressed at the expansion of your vocabulary.

I call it, looking at it logically with some common sense.

Everyone else will say you've missed the point. Logic generally carries agreement from others, so perhaps you might want to rethink that. Anyway, apparently, you've missed the point.

You honestly think people who see these adverts pay any attention to them?

People may mock them or tell their friends how rubbish it was, but if people are talking about them it means they've paid attention and the message will be understood. However, apparently, you've missed the point.

I bet your the type of person who will see all this dont speed propaganda then mention how horrific the ad is, but I would put money on all of you having your foot creep down on the go pedal from time to time?

Which has what to do with the message that this ad is trying to convey? Apparently, you've missed the point.

I bet you have all seen the dont drink and drive ones, and see how nasty the videos are for that and think "oooh thats nasty" I bet you have all had a beer and driven home (btw I can happily say that as I dont drink alcohol)

I think you're wrong. Certainly most of the people I know are very very sensible about drink driving. I have never driven over the limit.

Here is a really good idea,

The words "milord, I have a cunning plan" have just echoed in my head.

instead of wasting sh*t loads of money on these stupid adverts, why not just increase the fines, remember most insurance companies dont care about 3 points anymore, increase anything to do with phones whilst driving to 60 points and £150 fine, that will drive the message home, how about the drink driving, dont just ban people, thats a waste of time, lock them up for a few weeks with a massive fine, the more times they are caught the longer they get.

Why instead of?

We need to stop wasting money on crappy over exaggerated adverts directed by Michael Bay wannabes and spend money on real policing, or even just simple adverts black background white writing "Texting whilst drivng 6 points £150 fine, get caught twice, thats a ban"

I'm sure Michael Bay would have had more explosions in it...

"Real policing". You seem to think that the only "real policing" is to catch people who've committed a crime? This is trying to prevent not only the crime occurring, but the injury or death that may result. If one of your relatives were killed by a driver who wasn't paying attention because of texting you might well change your tune.

On top of all of that, who honestly can raise there hands up and say they sit through the adverts whilst watching there telly boxes? I dont watch telly box much, but when ever I do and adverts come on, I change channel, which means I like many others dont see these adverts anyways

I don't have a television. But so what? You change channel... lots of people just turn the volume down. This advert is designed to catch attention, and stop people flipping over because of basic human morbid curiosity. Then you get people saying "hey, have you seen this?".

Made for 10k? 55 plate Ka will set you back around 4k, a mondeo £1200, fiesta £600, thats half the budget gone already, expect me to believe that?

No one actually cares whether or not you believe in space aliens either... You think that money is the only way things are obtained (for example, how do you know that these are not cars that were impounded, not claimed and then used for this? Or obtained through Proceeds of Crime? Or insurance write offs? Or donated?)

10k could be used doing something useful to combat people on there phone

Like euthanasia? Can think of wider applications for that...

elnevio
14-11-2009, 11:46 PM
The Master of Post-Assassination has returned from an apparently self-imposed hiatus period to furnish us with both a) his presence, and b) a post assassination of 100% WIN! :D

I-S
14-11-2009, 11:54 PM
Someone was shining a spotlight up on to the clouds...

Turbo_Steve
14-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Thank you.

Mrs B
15-11-2009, 12:47 AM
(btw I can happily say that as I dont drink alcohol)
O RLY?

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=255776#post255776

So Kyle, is that 'Real' beer or had someone shat in your water?! :P :runkest:

Alex
15-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Call it Puerile if you want, I call it, looking at it logically with some common sense.

I think you'll find that my comment on that note referred to your totally irrelevant rant about milk floats, rather than any 'useful' comment you may have shocked us all by making about the advert itself.

But again, it would appear that you missed the point.

g8legnum
15-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Pitslayer, why do you insist on calling it an advert. Its not a f***ing advert, its a bl@@dy film, thats 30 minutes long. The Utube film, is the 5-minute taster (if thats the right word). Basing your comments on just on this, I think shows that you've missed the point!

stuey
15-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Point.......

Missed....

ANTHONY
16-11-2009, 10:23 PM
why do we have to have a debate on somthing that could save life's this should be shown in every school,college,uni and cinema ram it down their throats like they do with McDonald's or gocompare

AlanDITD
16-11-2009, 10:50 PM
to be fair the only post of any interest in here other than the actual video link is aboo's

Good ridance to the fords.