PDA

View Full Version : Someones hurt my baby part 2

enigma
07-07-2004, 06:06 PM
Driving home minding mt own business, big sign saying queue on slip road so i naturally slow to a stop behind the car in front, the bloke behind didn't :sad3: :thumbsdow :io:

enigma
07-07-2004, 06:48 PM
Looks like the bumper is a write off and the tailgate may have to go too.

Great

The bloke that hit me spoke no English and his daughter claimed that they hadn't even hit me. My polite response to her was

UCK RIGHT OFF

F

Apparently the driver was looking at his wife in the back as she was about to be sick.

Simon
07-07-2004, 08:25 PM
Bloody hell! Gutted for you............ :sad3: how bad would it have been if you didn't have the tow bar?? :sad3:

Nick Mann
07-07-2004, 08:27 PM
Sh!te....

There are a couple of people on these forums trying for the nickname of 'Lucky'. You appear to be winning at the moment.

Hope it all goes smoothly. I take it they did admit responsibility in the end?

Big Ian
07-07-2004, 08:33 PM
:sad3: sorry to hear about this dave,
did they have a british address or are they "just visiting?

Wodjno
07-07-2004, 08:36 PM
Sorry to hear that dave :sad3: .. can't be just filled and painted then :thinking: .. is it creased badly .. :huh:

richieelliott
07-07-2004, 08:41 PM
lucky legnum drivers what a pair me and you
sorry to hear mate but living in immigrant midlands prob doesnt help!says the ex leicester boy

enigma
07-07-2004, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the kind words folks!

He gave a London address, I am phoning him in 10 minutes :io:

The car is not too bad, the bumper is shafted though. Christ knows how much a new one will be from our favourite dealers!!! The tailgate can probably be pulled, but as its someone elses fault this time I dont see why I cant have a new one.

Its more the hassle of it all......at least I can still drive it!

Got a banging head and it didn't do my delicate back any good, but I feel guilty claiming for such things. After all thats why we all get robbed blind on our premiums.

Anyway, anone heard of Helphire? They are an accident management company that take the pain out of claim (I made the slogan up!) My bodyshop gave me the details, said they were first rate. Gave me all the bunf, they apparently give me a like for like courtesy car! Now this I have to see! :laugh:

The Vee
07-07-2004, 10:10 PM
yeah bad luck Dave - just had mine repaired from same thing. Was hit a little harder than yours by the looks of it. All repaired now as you saw. I too was offered a like for like and was given a rover 75 for a month Yep long repair job.
original offer was a nissan micra or corsa yuk

Spirit
08-07-2004, 12:05 AM
Sh1t Dave sorry to hear this mate......did the phone number etc from the guy who hit you check out all okay ? Hope you get it sorted asap

Physician
08-07-2004, 12:14 AM
Sheesh, sorry Dave. NOW I understand what you meant in your email.

Someone mentioned Leicester in this thread ...... too true, we have an excess of terrible drivers who just don't know how to drive, let alone understand the highway code. Had one a few days ago who drove straight out in front of me when I had right of way (she had red lights against her). She then stopped car in middle of road to remonstrate with me and whereas she said she knew she was in the wrong, "because I haven't been on this road before" she felt it was my fault not to stop and let her pass without hooting .......... WHAT??? Pointless trying to explain as she just didn't GET IT ! Presumably she goes through any lights regardless ....... unless, of course, she has been on THAT road before! :sad3:

Roadrunner
08-07-2004, 12:25 AM
Sorry to see that, Dave. If you've been injured (or even if you're not sure you have been), it might be worth a medical checkup to let you know one way or the other. I note what you say about claiming on insurance, but you only have a limited time to claim if you have suffered an injury ...

Brian

Kieran
08-07-2004, 12:34 AM
Yeah, it's been a crappy week all round! :sad3:

Hope you get it sorted with minimal fuss.

I agree with Brian however. Get a checkup - just in case.

enigma
08-07-2004, 09:44 AM
Just spoken to Helphire, looks like if they take me on I will have to put up with an BMW M5 as a replacement.

RED
08-07-2004, 10:45 AM
Just spoken to Helphire, looks like if they take me on I will have to put up with an BMW M5 as a replacement.

First off you've got a pm. Dave helphire are good we are the approved repairers for them in this area so we do alot of work for them. Having said that though they couldn't help me as I hadn't got the insurance details of the guy that hit Marcus and by law he was only required to give me his phone number and address? I had to go through my own insurance and use the solicitors that they have.

This is because data is only allowed to be swapped by insurance companies and their own respective solicitors. They have a piece of software that tells them wether the vehicle that hit you has insurance on it and if it has they can go ahead with the claim regardless of being able to get the money back. The insurance companies have a "contingency fund" for this purpose. Helphire even though they are the biggest third party solicitors do not have this software and that is why they wouldn't help me - even though I do all their work :wall:

You say you've got a shop of your own but any problems give us a call :)

Quad Al
08-07-2004, 10:52 AM
Dave, cringed at what i just read, now i've got one, i'm feeling for you. I am def' putting a bar on mine now!.
Definately talk to the claims people. I've been smacked twice and have to live with a stiff neck when the weather drops and i work outside so it's not very pleasant. The second time i was hit (both times in works time)the lady conned me back to her house put on the sob story and then admitted she had no license. We came to an agreement of 700squds and guess what? yeh, never saw a penny!.
But a while back she had to have all her front windows replaced.
Beware of the lowlifes, they come in all shapes and sizes!!

Cheers
Al,
(well happy with motor, mitsui, doing bent p/s pump pulley, at a cost of .....wait for it, 740+vat just for the pump!!.)

Do you know the size of the fuel tank? can't find it in books anywhere.can't read tiddly wink!!
cheers again for the visit I owe you a beer or 3.
Al.

enigma
08-07-2004, 11:00 AM
This is because data is only allowed to be swapped by insurance companies and their own respective solicitors. They have a piece of software that tells them wether the vehicle that hit you has insurance on it and if it has they can go ahead with the claim regardless of being able to get the money back. The insurance companies have a "contingency fund" for this purpose. Helphire even though they are the biggest third party solicitors do not have this software and that is why they wouldn't help me - even though I do all their work :wall:

Just spoken to my insurance company (out of courtesy! ;)) and they confirmed the details that I was given last night regarding his insurance were lapsed :sad3: however they accessed their super computer and told me he is insured. With a little persuading they gave me the company and policy number! ;) So Helphire will now serve me well!

enigma
08-07-2004, 11:07 AM
Dave, cringed at what i just read, now i've got one, i'm feeling for you. I am def' putting a bar on mine now!.

Thanks for the thoughts Al! ;)

Whats up with the PS pump?????

Tank is about 65 litres, but I never manage to get more than 50 or so in!

Rally205
08-07-2004, 11:17 AM
What is it with VR4's being rear ended at the moment :(

As Jane said Helphire are top notch and should get you sorted no problem.
From the photos it looks like your tow bar is bent downwards? I have found over the years that tow bars cause more damage in an accident because they transmit all of the impact straight into the chassis legs and not into the crumple zones on the rear body. Get underneath and check for damage where the tow bar mounts onto the chassis. It may be worse than it looks :( :sad3:

If you want some independent advice or whatever just give me a bell.

Marcus

Quad Al
08-07-2004, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the thoughts Al! ;)

Whats up with the PS pump?????

Tank is about 65 litres, but I never manage to get more than 50 or so in!

the pump is fine,but the pulley is slightly running out of true,and when i test drove it on Sat' (130mph ish) ,back to nicks and noticed a squeeking under bonnet. it turned out to be the p/s belt had half jumped off the p/s pulley, it was still doing its job. but not good enough to drive back to Preston!.
I forced it back on and its perfick, but noticed the pulley is slightly out of true :( . .For info the p/s pulley cannot be bought off mitsu' on it's own, it comes complete unit at whopping £740 + vat + fitting. Good old mitsui!. Good old warranty! Cheers Nick.

enigma
08-07-2004, 11:36 AM
Project VX has a spare power steering pump ;)

enigma
08-07-2004, 11:38 AM

As Jane said Helphire are top notch and should get you sorted no problem.
From the photos it looks like your tow bar is bent downwards? I have found over the years that tow bars cause more damage in an accident because they transmit all of the impact straight into the chassis legs and not into the crumple zones on the rear body. Get underneath and check for damage where the tow bar mounts onto the chassis. It may be worse than it looks :( :sad3:

If you want some independent advice or whatever just give me a bell.

Marcus

Dont say that!! Its a bit wet outside to be crawling under my car! The tow bar is bent down but that is by design to clear the rear bumper without cutting it. I am sure everything will be tickety boo!

<engages crossed fingers mode>

I am more concerned that even though it was afairly small bump (I think) I have a stiff neck and shoulders and the headache from hell........I dont do headaches, ever! :( I also feel sick........great!

The Vee
08-07-2004, 12:15 PM
I have found over the years that tow bars cause more damage in an accident because they transmit all of the impact straight into the chassis legs and not into the crumple zones on the rear body. Get underneath and check for damage where the tow bar mounts onto the chassis. It may be worse than it looks :( :sad3:

Yes Yes Beware of this one. I have always had tow bars on my cars and have been rear ended two or three times. Certainly for minor bumps they will offer a degree of protection. BUT in a serious thump (such as the one my Galant received recently) the tow bar had taken most of the impact. The outside damage looked superficial -bumper, lights cracked etc - but underneath was a different story. the chassis was bent down leaving an arch on the boot floor. even the"D" posts showed signs of altered alignment. Car had to be jigged and I'm glad to say it's now had a very good repair after some discussions from the insurers saying it might be a write- off due to repair costs.

Roadrunner
08-07-2004, 12:25 PM

Just out of interest, when y'all are stationary in your cars, do you keep your foot on the brake? In my experience, having seen a few rear end shunts, those that were shunted weren't showing brake lights. In a couple of near hits, those that weren't hit did have brake lights on.

Not very scientific, I know, but I've always held my foot on the brake until the car behind is safely stopped behind me, and I've never been rear-ended (oo-er missus :rolleyes: ;) )

Brian

Kieran
08-07-2004, 12:29 PM

You poor soul you! How will you cope?! :-D

Hope it all goes through ok now. Good job you've got his details! Phew!! :)

RED
08-07-2004, 12:30 PM
Dave you should go down to casualty and get checked out you've got whiplash and it only gets worse especially after 24 hours you will end up feeling really sore and stiff :sick: The sick feeling is shock - even though you're a butch tough chap have a sweetened cup of tea and lay down :lolice: with a damp flannel on your head!

The Vee
08-07-2004, 12:32 PM
That was one of the things that 'issed me off, sitting at the end of a line at roundabout and definately all 3 brake lights on. Bloke just wasn't looking.

Kieran
08-07-2004, 12:35 PM
Dave you should go down to casualty and get checked out you've got whiplash and it only gets worse especially after 24 hours you will end up feeling really sore and stiff :sick: The sick feeling is shock - even though you're a butch tough chap have a sweetened cup of tea and lay down :lolice: with a damp flannel on your head!

Yep. Get yourself checked out Dave. A colleage of mine had whiplash. 2 months later he was still having physiotherapy. He says he's gald he tackled it. He's also just got a cheque for a four figure sum in compensation too!

enigma
08-07-2004, 01:15 PM

Just been to the docs, he felt my neck said I had whiplash and sent me away to take some drugs......I dont do drugs! He said feeling sick is normal as is a headache. I am at home now as the whole site has gone down at work, at least I can lie down inbetween doing some urgent work!

Nick Mann
08-07-2004, 01:24 PM
Al:

Bladdy 'ell, thats a bit pricey, ain't it? Told you that £25 I spent on reinstating the warranty was worth it! Just sorry I didn't realise it and have it sorted before sat. Glad all is okay apart from that. The fuel tank is approx 60 litres, the light comes on in yours at about 10-12 litres left. I rarely put more than 50 litres in it to fill it up.

Dave:

An M5! Cool! Got any spare nitrous jets? :rolleyes5

If you are injured, then go through your insurance and claim. That is your right! That is what I would do. :soapbox: The people who annoy me with claims are not the people who do that, but the 'no win no fee' claimants. That appears to me as greed. If you have a car accident injury claim, then it should be made there and then, through proper channels, not three years later through a company that rips everone off! OOoooopps. Sorry! /Rant mode off.

enigma
08-07-2004, 02:09 PM
have a sweetened cup of tea

Does getting something warm wet and sticky inside you help then??? :D

Polabear
10-07-2004, 04:09 PM
Sorry to hear about your baby's Ar$E gettin bent Dave..and I hope it gets sorted soon with no hassle, I don't think I would have been able to hold back..certainly verbally......:screwu: :arse:

RED
10-07-2004, 05:46 PM
Does getting something warm wet and sticky inside you help then??? :D

I am for once absolutely speechless (Marcus - that's a bloody first Dave) I obviously have no idea what you mean :p You are sooooo lucky I can't make Sunday. Your'e a dirty bugger - but I do like it !!!! :laugh:

RED
13-07-2004, 03:44 PM
You've not been intouch with the car details for the price of the bumper you wanted but I'm taking this as a sign that you've got everything sorted out OK :-D

enigma
13-07-2004, 04:17 PM
Yeah, should all be sorted........Helphire are dealing with it. just waiting for the call to take her in for some love and metal bashing!

How long do Helphire normally take? ie when do I panic and call them?!

RED
13-07-2004, 04:40 PM
Yeah, should all be sorted........Helphire are dealing with it. just waiting for the call to take her in for some love and metal bashing!

How long do Helphire normally take? ie when do I panic and call them?!

Should have it in within a couple of weeks it'll just depend on the bodyshop when they can do it. They'll organise an engineer to look at the vehicle the same day and authorise the garage to get on with it there and then. Done and dusted easy peasey :-D Hope it goes OK :)

enigma
26-07-2004, 09:52 AM
My car has gone in to the bodyshop today, not to be fixed but to be assessed :|

Anyway I have a replacement from Helphire and its no VR4, but it seems fun!

A MG ZT-T 180BHP Turbo estate car. Its 2WD so they may be getting it back with bald tyres! It revs nicely, but its just got no grip whatsoever! Fun few days ahead methinks! :D

RED
26-07-2004, 11:14 AM
Hi Dave glad to hear it's gone in. The engineer should assess and authorise at the same time so the garage should be able to order your parts today if he's coming today :-D they're pretty good like that. Hope it all goes OK and you get a nice shiny rear end with no dents :-D