PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Springs Assistance Required

2700gavin
16-11-2009, 01:58 PM
I am wanting to lower my VR4 a bit and have been searching through the threads in the forum. Am I right in assuming that the TEIN TECH S ones are the best for the job. Its that I was a bit confused when I checked CAMSKILL's website and tthey say they are for a legnum ?

Nutter_John
16-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Leggie springs fit a galant so should be no problems

chris g
16-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Yes, Tein S were the ones I bought (green) and best fitted with shock absorbers that are for lower springs. I bought Bilstein - a combination used by others here.

Looks good as well as Bilstein are yellow - a colourful combination unfortunately only noticed when wheels off.

2700gavin
16-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Do you know the part number of the bilstein ? Or if not what do I need to be asking for ?

Nutter_John
16-11-2009, 03:52 PM
The issue with buying bilsteins and lowering springs is that the cost of them is more than buying a full on set of coilovers .

you looking at nearly £500 just for the shocks + £150 ish for the springs , where as BC coilovers costs less than £600

chris g
16-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Did not think I paid that for both pieces of kit - prices may have gone up since my purchases but both are good brands...

Suited my needs...

Are BC a decent product...?

And coilovers are questionable as to whether you need them...

chris g
16-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Kieran had this combination as well...

"Bilstein B8 shocks... I got mine from Motorsport world, they took a couple of weeks as I recall:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18061

Note that B8s should only be used with lowering springs. B6 shocks can be used with standard springs and lowering springs that have up to a -25mm drop."

I also bought mine from MotorSport World - and springs from Camskill...

Nutter_John
16-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Price them up a few months back and the difference between them was tiny

BC coilovers are fine , I have them on the evo with no problems

Everyone needs coilovers Chris , it's how you set them up that differs

chris g
16-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Oh no we dont !

But I have some coilovers from a friend - were on a toy Evo - will they fit me vr-4, pleeze tell me...

Nutter_John
16-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Chris if you leave being a member then I will post up the answer

chris g
16-11-2009, 04:50 PM
No!

My understanding of coilovers compared to matched lower springs/shock absorbers...

Coilovers more likely to be firmer - harder ride even at softer settings - need much more care for set-up

And then depending on load in the car and task at hand - track, holiday touring, shopping etc, they need adjusting to match circumstances...

And I did not buy BC coilovers as cost concious, not aware of fitment for VR-4 or of prev owner with them, did not fancy periodic adjustment as required and other option was already described by a member...

Nutter_John
16-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Yep fully understand Chris and you are right in what you say about setup is key