PDA

View Full Version : Who runs an oil cooler, and where did you get your sandwich plate from?

Jesus-Ninja
20-11-2009, 01:35 PM
As per the title, really. Looking to get a plate to fit an oil cooler I have. Usual BSP fittings.

Gowf
20-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Ive seen them on fleabay for cheap, but im using the grex kit that relocates the oil filter aswell.

Paul C
20-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Motorscope in Northallerton supplied mine. Although i never fitted and could be around somewhere.

Louis
20-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Get one for an evo off ebay, bout £20, but as mentioned you can get kits for about £80 bucks that will allow you to relocate filter and also go through oil cooler.

miller
20-11-2009, 03:39 PM
can you run in and out oil lines to a cooler from spare slots in your sandwich plate?

Jesus-Ninja
20-11-2009, 04:46 PM
can you run in and out oil lines to a cooler from spare slots in your sandwich plate?

No, Mike. Too small for one thing (by the time you've allowed for the meat of the threaded insert there wold be too much restriction on flow), and all the "oulets" are all on the high pressure side.

Gowf
20-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Get one for an evo off ebay, bout £20, but as mentioned you can get kits for about £80 bucks that will allow you to relocate filter and also go through oil cooler.

£80? for a sandwich plate, -12 s/s braided pipework, all associated unions and fittings, a thermostat, a filter plate and a cooler? If you can get all that for £80 i am hugely impressed, as people would be selling them at a loss.

Davezj
20-11-2009, 06:31 PM
amsoil does a relocation kit for the filter, and i am sure you could cut in to the pipe work and add a cooler as well.

i think they were about £150 for the relocation kit. i will see if i can find a link.

here it is:-
http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/by-pass_kits_filters.html

stuey
20-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Ive seen them on fleabay for cheap, but im using the grex kit that relocates the oil filter aswell.

I've got the Grex one on mine, works well but:

1. It uses a different oil filter, currently using Audi/VW ones as these fit best, and are bigger than the Mitsi one.
2. The mount for the remote filter is quite thin and bends sometimes when removing or fitting a filter.
3. The sandwich plate hangs down quite near to the bottom engine mount, so when I tried to fit an oil pressure gauge sender it hit the mount and caused a tiny crack in the sandwich plate, not leaking yet but not ideal.

phosty
05-12-2009, 01:30 AM
Hmmn - I have a Trust GREX relocation / cooler kit that the car came fitted with from Japan.

I purchased a suite of PLX sensors however both the temp and pressure sensor are 1/8th NPT - but the allen grub blanking screws in the sandwich and relocation plate are all 10mm (M10?). Any suggestions on how to get the sensors to fit (that doesn't involve re-tapping the plates).

Jesus-Ninja
05-12-2009, 01:44 AM
I'd be surprised if they were M10. You also don't mention a thread pitch.

I would suspect they are more likely to be 1/8PT (as opposed to NPT) 1/8PT is the same as 1/8BSP. If so, you can run a 1/8NPT tap down them, and they'll be fine, although I'd recommend PTFEing them.

I guess you'll need to remove the unit to tap it though, which is a pain, hence your question....

phosty
05-12-2009, 02:12 AM
Well, the grub screws are 10mm OD and parallel threaded so I assume M10.

See here http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/INSTRUMENTS-/-GAUGES-VDO-VDO-Senders/c1_2_4/index.html

It looks like I got NPT VDO senders with the PLX kit but the Jap stuff is designed for metric.

I think the easiest (+cheapest) would be a second sandwich plate on the remote plate with NPT fittings - circa £20 on eBay.

Jesus-Ninja
05-12-2009, 10:31 PM
I think the easiest (+cheapest) would be a second sandwich plate on the remote plate with NPT fittings - circa £20 on eBay.

I think you're right! :)

kiteman
06-12-2009, 11:48 AM
_www.mcgillmotorsports.co.uk

I've just ordered mine from the above supplier. £20 delivered.

phosty
07-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Got mine for £16.75 delivered - but from same supplier as you - they sell em on eBay too!

3 x 1/8th NPT with 2 blanking plugs (i.e. you'll need at least one sensor). Seems to be quite well made (not much to it really). Only comment is that the central adaptor which screws onto the existing centre thread doesn't have any seals. As its a parallel thread there will be a very small leakage of unfiltered oil via the threads into the engine oil intake. I might put some thread sealant or teflon tape on mine just to be sure.

Edit: Mind you, just noticed that a standard filter doesn't have any seals on the centre thread either so no worse really.

Gowf
08-12-2009, 02:27 AM
I've got the Grex one on mine, works well but:

1. It uses a different oil filter, currently using Audi/VW ones as these fit best, and are bigger than the Mitsi one.
2. The mount for the remote filter is quite thin and bends sometimes when removing or fitting a filter.
3. The sandwich plate hangs down quite near to the bottom engine mount, so when I tried to fit an oil pressure gauge sender it hit the mount and caused a tiny crack in the sandwich plate, not leaking yet but not ideal.

Odd, as ive been using standard VR4 filters, and had no issues fitting the pressure sensor in the sandwich plate or the temp one in the remote filter plate.

Bailey
08-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Hi guys, i've been thinking about getting one of these kits, do you think there worth it?

Nutter_John
08-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Hi guys, i've been thinking about getting one of these kits, do you think there worth it?

Are they worth what ?

Bailey
08-12-2009, 07:18 PM
A remote oil filter? as dont you still need to get under the car to empty the sump.

Gowf
09-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Yes, its not done for ease of removal.... It allows a bigger filter to be fitted as its no longer on the lowest point of the car (or there abouts), greater cooling of the oil and also means that its not in the way when trying to fit turbos where the original filter was.

You still have to drain the sump from the same plug, and the filter from where youve put it.

Bailey
09-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Ok cool thanks Gowf its all a bit clearer now.