PDA

View Full Version : cutting rear bumper to fit muffler? advice?

benthomsen
08-07-2004, 06:44 AM
ive just brought a large s/s rear muffler but for it to fit in nicely i need to take a slight curve out of my rear bumper as my model legnum doesnt have a cutout at all (1997 ST GDI). has anyone had to do this before? or have any helpful advice for cutting or reshaping the bumper? cheers

Big Ian
08-07-2004, 08:57 AM
draw round the shape of your new end pipe (on to paper/card) and then try some different shape's around it ,once you have your shape use it to make a template that you can use against your rear bumper.
the bumper's cut away very easy,you may want to use a drill and space out hole's just below you drawen mark that make's the shape of the bit your cutting off and then with a round edge file,(file it till you have your shape .
go to page 6 of my domain page for some photos that may help you?

Darren
08-07-2004, 12:40 PM
i need to take a slight curve out of my rear bumper as my model legnum doesnt have a cutout at all

Talk to big dave, I'm sure he managed to get a cut out cover from mitsu when he installed his dual exhaust

Nick Mann
08-07-2004, 01:07 PM
BDA has a different rear bumper. He did buy trim for his second pipe, but it won't be applicable in this case.

I think Scottish Ians car could be the nearest, although Interlec has a second cut out as well. Interlecs is a VR4 bumper again, but more similar to the ST GDI than BDA's.