PDA

View Full Version : Eurospec, 7202 ECU and a reflash

Atik
20-11-2009, 09:03 PM
I just dropped off my car to Eurospec for a full ECU reflash on my car. Thought I could keep a thread posted with progress and updates and hopefully some good results.

The car, in case you dont know it, is a manual converted Legnum VR4 (260ps). Was fitted with an E-Manage Blue (piggyback ECU) and boost controller... and a whole load of other bits and bobs. The last dyno run showed the car running at 0.8bar boost, managed 223.5bhp at the wheel and 287.4bhp at the flywheel.

I had since 'lost' my ECU map and was running back on stock ECU settings and managed to up the boost to 1bar (but with no way of monitoring AFR and knock etc, I backed off to 0.9bar) and the car felt super quick.

So fingers crossed, Ben can work some magic and get my car to reach the 300bhp point.

:eurospec:

[See how I used a very appropriate thread title, to aid in possible future searches] :beatnik2:

AlanDITD
20-11-2009, 09:06 PM
When you getting it back matey?

aboo
20-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Looking forward to the results.

White Lightning
20-11-2009, 10:56 PM
I am watching this one with interest /yes

aboo
20-11-2009, 11:03 PM
When is someone going to sort the auto ecu out?

White Lightning
20-11-2009, 11:04 PM
When is someone going to sort the auto ecu out?

Are you getting confused with the Vipec mate?

aboo
20-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Thought this was a map of the standard ECU.

Turbo_Steve
20-11-2009, 11:11 PM
It is, and as far as I am aware, Aboo is correct and the Manual has been reflashed but the Auto has yet to be tested?
Atik has a FL ECU in his car, and a manual conversion.

aboo
20-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Thats what I thought Steve. So you dont need Vipec,piggyback or Map2.

Nutter_John
20-11-2009, 11:15 PM
If the ecu is flashable then it makes no difference if it is auto or manual

aboo
20-11-2009, 11:19 PM
So what your saying John if you get a ECU 7202 for an auto it can be re flashed?

What I'v read on here its not as easy as that.

Nutter_John
20-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Ok none of you have read the post where by Mu told everyone that his AUTO super vr4 had just been flashed to give him a higher fuel cut limit ;)

And the person who flashed it was me :D

Basically when the 7202 is flashed you are not touching the control software from an auto/manual side all you are doing is alterning the timing / fuel and boost tables

White Lightning
20-11-2009, 11:47 PM
That's what I thought /yes

aboo
20-11-2009, 11:53 PM
I did read that but for some reason I'v allways thought Dons was a manual. Dont ask me why.

Is higher fuel cut limit the only advantage?

As I'm hitting 16psi in 1st & 2nd & then dropping to 14psi 3rd,4th & 5th at the mo.

Nutter_John
20-11-2009, 11:57 PM
No we only chose to up the boost cut as we did not have any method for reading afr's .

To tune the ecu you only need ecuflash , evoscan , a long piece of camera free road , a AFR reader that works with evoscan and plenty of time and fuel :D

Atik
20-11-2009, 11:59 PM
'Tis as John said. I have a 7202 'flashable' ECU from a manual FL that will be replacing my current stock 7201 PFL ECU.

I am aiming to get the car back next weekend (28/29th Nov). I've just left the car with them for the week so they can play with it properly and get it mapped to the limit. I am currently driving a big 'rat' which surprisingly is quite comfortable :D Thanks Ben, although I was secretly hoping to take the Skyline as a courtesy car :D :whistle:

Hopefully Ben can also place his wise input in this thread as he goes along. Don has managed to alter his boost map (with John's help), but as far as I know, there isnt anyone else who has fully remapped a 7202 in the UK? As its new territory, I'm hoping with this development, it can help the club as a whole to learn more about the car and even maybe get the 7201 fully remapped.

aboo
21-11-2009, 12:01 AM
Sorry for the thread hijack Atik but I now know whats next on my shopping list.

Thanks John for the info this has cleared a few things up for me.

Nutter_John
the 7201 is a totally different ball game so lets not confuss the issue :D

I recon you should see around 305 bhp

Atik
To tune the ecu you only need ... a long piece of camera free road ...
Is there anywhere in the UK like that now? Seems to be average speed cameras and other such speed trap devices everywhere these days.

AlanDITD
21-11-2009, 12:02 AM
Is there anywhere in the UK like that now? Seems to be average speed cameras and other such speed trap devices everywhere these days.

Come to cumbria i have the perfect bit of road 5 mins from my house :)

Nutter_John
21-11-2009, 12:03 AM
Come to cumbria i have the perfect bit of road 5 mins from my house :)

I thought that was now a river :P

Don has a nice piece of private road near his unit , just as I do .. this makes it a bit easier

Atik
21-11-2009, 12:04 AM
the 7201 is a totally different ball game so lets not confuss the issue :D

I recon you should see around 305 bhp
:evil2: I know /Wave

305 you reckon? I was hoping to maybe see around 310, but then I thought that my pistons might give up way before then. Ben aborted one of my previous dyno runs as the pistons almost gave up at 236bhp at the wheel. Well, lets see what next week brings. /popcorn

aboo
21-11-2009, 12:09 AM
There is a few roads up here I can think of. John you fancy a trip to Aberdeen?:jester:

miller
21-11-2009, 12:29 AM
Just curious, how do you know your 'pistons' werent happy at 236hp?

Keeping an eye on this thread with interest as its the cross roads im at regarding vipec or just flashing.

Mike

Nutter_John
21-11-2009, 12:32 AM
vipec will give you far better performance than re-flash of stock ( based on the better control of the vipec )

aboo
21-11-2009, 12:48 AM

Keeping an eye on this thread with interest as its the cross roads im at regarding vipec or just flashing.

MikeI'm the same Mike.

aboo
21-11-2009, 12:50 AM
vipec will give you far better performance than re-flash of stock ( based on the better control of the vipec )So why go re flash John if Vipec is better?

AlanDITD
21-11-2009, 12:53 AM
So why go re flash John if Vipec is better?

Because you have to pay for VIPEC before you even start with the mapping costs :)

aboo
21-11-2009, 12:55 AM
Because you have to pay for VIPEC before you even start with the mapping costs :)But if you get better results then the extra cost is worth it. IMO

apeman69
21-11-2009, 01:00 AM
So why go re flash John if Vipec is better?
1) To push the envelope / explore alternatives
2) For reasons / considerations concerning comparable costs

Nutter_John
21-11-2009, 01:03 AM
The vipec will allow the mapper to get better control of the car and push closer to the limits . it will alos allow the ecu tables to be update on the fly so real time tunning is possible 1000's times with out issues . All these features come at a cost so for example a Vipec will set you back around 1.5k .

The stock ecu will allow you to alter it's tables but to do so you must switch the car off each time , this means you can not map on the fly ( slows down the mapping ) . If you look aorund they have done great things with the EVO stock ecu and can now do live mapping , anti lag , Lauch control , flat shift , multi maps - but this is were people have re-wrote the internal code of the ecu . I very much doubt that we will see this level happen on the vr4 , One issue that will hit some people is that there is a limit on the number of times the ecu can be writen !!!
cost wise you are looking at around £300 ish to remap

So the vipec may get you 15% more out of the same engine , but it costs 5 times the price , but gives you 10 times the feature

I would go with the vipec every time but on my evo I have reflashed the rom as it suits where I am now !!

apeman69
21-11-2009, 01:08 AM
And anybody at a cross roads who thinks that the extra cost is worth it for the extra performance should turn right towards the Vipec.:p

Nutter_John
21-11-2009, 01:13 AM
One thing to mention is that the price that Ben is doing for the vipec mapped is very very good value

Atik
21-11-2009, 01:21 AM
Cos Ben told me :p In all honesty, I'm not actually sure, but he told me that when I dyno'd the car earlier this year after I fitted the Emanage.

I'm going via the reflash ECU route purely because the Vipec would be too much for me, in both cost and functionality. All I am looking for is to tune the car to a point and leave it there. I'm not looking for 'on-the-fly' tuning or the level of detailed tuning afforded by the Vipec. Just want to improve my maps and control the various parameters so that the car is maximising its potential.

aboo
21-11-2009, 01:35 AM
So it sounds like I should start saving for a Vipec then.

apeman69
21-11-2009, 01:40 AM
So it sounds like I should start saving for a Vipec then.
And hope, like the rest of us with autos, that it can be proven to work as desired.

Nutter_John
21-11-2009, 01:45 AM
Will be a case of finding the comms used from the auto ecu to drop torque during a gear change and then getting the Vipec to do the same .

When Caveman had his autronic done they left the stock ecu in place to make sure there were no issues with the auto box , but I doubt it pulled torks when changing gear .

aboo
21-11-2009, 01:50 AM
Thats the thing once I get the inter cooler I want I'm into the next stage so want to get whats best for the auto. Map2, piggyback, vipec or reflash?

Not to bothered with cost just whats best.

I Know that re flash is best value but we dont know what we can do with it yet from the auto side of things.

Thats why I'm asking the questions.

Nutter_John
21-11-2009, 01:52 AM
well as yet the Vipec has not been done on an auto , so until then I would say a remap would be best .

Hold you breath until Atik;s is done as we need to see some figures :D

aboo
21-11-2009, 01:56 AM
Thanks John. I know Atiks is a manual but will see what happens with his & take it from there.

Eurospec
21-11-2009, 10:55 AM
On Atiks car the danger to the pistons was from the knock i encountered on that run- so i stopped the run. Essentially i tried to run more boost than the car was happy with and i didnt have enough timing resolution left to stop the knock without the egt's going sky high! Ultimately there is a limit to how much you can get in there without breaking/melting stuff.

I have a vipec board here now for the auto, and the test car is coming early next month. If the torque reduction works as i think it does, then i should be able to make it work. If it doesnt, then i will have a load of work to try and get it to work.

The transmission type wont matter for ecu reflash. The tcu is separate. Ive done evo & GTA's and they are auto, so should be no issue.

I suspect the vr4 ecu will be not quite as flexible as the evo, but i am expecting the process to be the same. Basic tables should be able to be updated no problems. So fuel, ign, boost etc etc etc.

As of now i have never used 'live flash' on the evos. I have tried it and never had it work, but it works by using a volatile section of memory that you later commit to flash.

Cheers,

Ben.

miller
21-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Ive done evo & GTA's and they are auto, so should be no issue.

How did you feel the GTA reacted to a reflash, was it a better drive afterwards,much the same or harsher?

I so dont want to mess too much with the Airtrek but would love that extra kick of a little more bhp

Mike

Turbo_Steve
21-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Miller, I would have thought that was more down to the map rather than the tech: Nice smooth ignition curves, plenty of low end driveability etc etc etc

scientist
23-11-2009, 12:39 AM
You do know that the maps can be expanded to 21x20 for timing and 20x15 for fuel to provide enough resolution. Which puts it within the size of the Evo 9 maps

Eurospec
23-11-2009, 10:46 AM
How did you feel the GTA reacted to a reflash, was it a better drive afterwards,much the same or harsher?

I so dont want to mess too much with the Airtrek but would love that extra kick of a little more bhp

Mike

The 7 was fine mate, obviously since i turned the boost up the shifts were harsher on full throttle, but the rest of it was fine.

I think i have the stock roms for the airtek too.

Cheers,

Ben.

Eurospec
23-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Okay, so i re-mapped atiks car today.

Mixed news:-

First of all at 0.9 bar i got 300bhp and 350ft/lbs torque.

However, it seems like the xml file for atiks ecu is incorrect in some way. The internal ID is 20030010, this is one of the xmls that is out there, however it does some wierd stuff:-

First of all the fuel cut limiter can be read, can be written, but has no effect irrespective of edits, ie fuel cut remains. I suspect there must be another level to it that the xml doesnt define, or there are multiple tables which need to be edited.

The rpm ranges in the fuel maps seem to be incorrect. Example, when i edited the 4000 and 4500 ranges the applied change happened at that load, but at 6000 and 6500 rpms.

So i am going to road test the car tonight- i suspect it will boost cut on the road, unless i back the boost off.

Now i can tune, but xml defs are something beyond me. If someone has an updated one i can try, that would be great.

Cheers,

Ben.

Eurospec
23-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Sorry- just to say, the process itself works exactly as it should/does with evos, so the ecus are defo editable and tuneable and the flash 'sticks' after a ign reset and a battery disconnect, but it seems certain bits have other dimensions that are yet to be defined. Oh and the ecu rom description says it is for MANUAL or AUTO.

Cheers,

Ben.

Nutter_John
23-11-2009, 08:30 PM
I read the xml def for the 20030010.xml file and it just inherits all the vr4base atributes .

May be worth posting back up on geekmapped to see if someone is willing to double check them ,

Davezj
24-11-2009, 01:18 AM
have you guys spoken to aderC, he was one of the first to play with reflashing of the 7202 ecu.
he may have some answers on this issue.

Eurospec
24-11-2009, 10:05 AM
No, but i found a later xml base definition. Just tried it this morning- it will only read the rom data though.

I'll give him a try.

Cheers,

Ben.

Eurospec
24-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Okay, right, i found the problem. You are gonna have to bear with me as i dont program computers, so let me try and explain.

The maps are made up of:-

A rom file that contains all map information

that rom file is kind of 'decoded' by an xml file, which to the best of my ability seems to be like a street map of the ecu memory structure that defines where each seperate bit of the rom file is kept.

The xml file which is out there has an incorrect address in it- it wrongly specifies the location of the boost cut table. It identifies it as having the sme address as one of the target boost tables.

Hence, if you try to edit the boost cut table, using the xml definition that exists it doesnt work. It will read the table, write the tyable, but actually you are editing another table. (target boost).

To fix it you have to open up the xml file and change the address of the boost cut table from 12228 to 11d1b. Then it works!

Be aware that the original address is a target boost table, so if anyone has reflashed thinking they are moving the cut, they are actually editing a boost table, which may result in freaky boost behaviour on a car not equiped with a boost controller.

Cheers,

Ben.

Davezj
24-11-2009, 02:46 PM
i am reading this with great interest. keep it up!

Xanadu Detailing
24-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Okay, right, i found the problem. You are gonna have to bear with me as i dont program computers, so let me try and explain.

that rom file is kind of 'decoded' by an xml file, which to the best of my ability seems to be like a street map of the ecu memory structure that defines where each seperate bit of the rom file is kept.

The xml file which is out there has an incorrect address in it- it wrongly specifies the location of the boost cut table. It identifies it as having the sme address as one of the target boost tables.

Hence, if you try to edit the boost cut table, using the xml definition that exists it doesnt work. It will read the table, write the tyable, but actually you are editing another table. (target boost).

To fix it you have to open up the xml file and change the address of the boost cut table from 12228 to 11d1b. Then it works!

Be aware that the original address is a target boost table, so if anyone has reflashed thinking they are moving the cut, they are actually editing a boost table, which may result in freaky boost behaviour on a car not equiped with a boost controller.

Cheers,

Ben.

Arse!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

NUTTEERRRRRR!!!!!

:D:D

Atik
24-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Woohoo! 300bhp and 350ft/lb of torque... :D

Nutter_John
24-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Arse!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

NUTTEERRRRRR!!!!!

:D:D

Did say tell you no gareenteesss :D

Atik
24-11-2009, 03:14 PM
LOL.

Don/John, did you have any issue with the same problem on the Super? Maybe the 7202 ECU in the Super has a different XML code? I dont recall if there was a problem with boost cut and I cant be arsed to search :p

Xanadu Detailing
24-11-2009, 03:16 PM
LOL.

Don/John, did you have any issue with the same problem on the Super? Maybe the 7202 ECU in the Super has a different XML code? I dont recall if there was a problem with boost cut and I cant be arsed to search :p

we tried to move boost cut...

thought we had but maybe we didnt.....

I certainly cant run much higher boost than i was and we thought it was down to the low temps, maybe it was due to not modifying the correct table in the first place :P

Atik
24-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Ahh right. Well, I guess the only way is to check it again, now armed with the right info. This is exciting :D

Nutter_John
24-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Ben can you put your copy of vr4base up on here as I have 2 different copies from around the same time and want to make sure I have the correct one

Eurospec
24-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Errrr, yeah, how do i do that?!

I do cars mate! I struggle to put pictures on!

Atiks got a good point, i do not know how the different roms will react to the change i did. Since all roms are a dughter of the defn, then i think they will be fine.

Cheers,

Ben.

Nutter_John
24-11-2009, 04:17 PM
The changes should be fine accross all cars as the vr4base is just the base config , all the other xml defs inherrit the items they need or create new ones within there defs

send me an email with it on ben and I will post it up

AderC
24-11-2009, 10:53 PM

Cheers,

Ben.

I've got 1153c as the address for the boost cut table and it seems to work (I was getting cut at around 16psi and I've raised it to around 18.5).

aDe

Davezj
24-11-2009, 11:02 PM
hi ade,
thought you would pop up sooner or later!

AderC
24-11-2009, 11:06 PM
Been away last couple of nights...

lyndon
26-11-2009, 04:40 AM
hey guys need some help.came across a problem while trying to tune my vr4
tune the ignition maps first to get out the knock, that work fine but when i started to tune the fuel map the changes i made didnt make any difference the car still ran the same AF ratios. Any sugesstions

Eurospec
26-11-2009, 10:16 AM
If you had the same problem i did, i found that the rpm ranges are incorrect. I just tried it till i found the area that would make the change i wanted.

Make sure you are editing both hi octane fuel maps.

Cheers,

Ben.

lyndon
27-11-2009, 01:32 PM
If you had the same problem i did, i found that the rpm ranges are incorrect. I just tried it till i found the area that would make the change i wanted.

Make sure you are editing both hi octane fuel maps.

Cheers,

Ben.
Thanks bro would try it out again and see how it goes

Atik
28-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Got the car back now and I dont know if its a placebo effect going from driving 'The Rat' Celica to my car, but the throttle response seems to have improved.

The big thing is the power now. Im getting huge power low down now which feels so good when planting it.

At 2750rpm I previously had 220ft/lbs of torque and now I have 325ft/lbs. Thats MASSIVE! No boost cut at 14.1psi and overtaking at 70mph is now so easy.

I love my car even more now!

Thanks Ben, and Eurospec.

Now to get some mpg figures over the next few weeks to see what the real world differences are. And maybe a few G-Tech readings if I can get to my racetrack sometime.

Roberto
28-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Result!!!

Brilliant work

:eurospec:

bradc
28-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Pics of the dyno?

chris g
28-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Pics...?

It's a computer thingy with big set of rollers in a shed type enclosure thing...

bradc
28-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Of the graph

psbarham
28-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Of the graph

oh that's a squiggly line and some numbers /lol

HPRULZ
28-11-2009, 11:06 PM
/wall

Atik
28-11-2009, 11:41 PM
Can confirm they are squigly lines. In a pink and blue colour if you were interested.
:D

My scanner isnt working so I'll try to get a decent camera shot of the graphs.

Atik
28-11-2009, 11:54 PM
Here we go... Blue line is my old run with the Emanage and boost controller. Pink line is the new one with the ECU flashed and boost controller.

Turbo_Steve
29-11-2009, 01:36 PM
That must take off like it's been stung! Very nice!

I assume the power tails off as our turbos can't hold 1 Bar all the way to the redline?

Just to be clear, this is timing and fuelling tand fuel cut that's been modified, with standalone boost control?

Atik
29-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Yes I believe so Steve. Ben could advise better, but I just told him to map the car to maximise everything.

It is a massively noticeable power improvement :D I'll have to take a drive and see how the boost reacts across the rev range. I'll keep you posted, but I am sure I saw a steady 14.1 psi from foot to the floor to gear change. Watch this space.

In any case, the purpose of this thread has been to bring the re-flashed ECU process to the front, and although Ben had a few issues with wrong addresses, he sorted it. So hopefully with a few more jobs, we may reach a point where the remaps are nice and simple to work out and get the process fine-tuned enough for the masses (well, as long as you have a 7202 ECU).

Also, now I have a flashing TCL on the dash. It was disabled anyway, but the new M/T FL ECU has no controller for the TCL. I'll just pull the bulb out shortly ;)

Eurospec
29-11-2009, 07:43 PM
I did fueling, timing and boost limit. I had to back timing out in order to stop it knocking around the 5-5.5k mark at that much boost. This is expected- i always have to on piggy backs.

There is an issue with the fueling addresses or something since when you adjust certain rpm ranges, the effect is observed at others. I found it really hard as a result to get the afr excactly as i wanted, so i ended up leaving it a bit on the richer side than i other wise would. The timing maps seem to respond as you expect.

There are four main maps for each of fuel and timing. There are hi and lo octane maps (think of it as normal and knock maps). I left the stock lo octane maps alone so as to preserve factory knock control and edited the hi octane maps. I set both map 1 and 2 the same. It is unclear in what circumstance it uses hi octane map 1 or 2.

Cheers,

Ben.

elnevio
29-11-2009, 07:50 PM
It's all a learning process - and great to see it in action.

Good work all round, people! :thumbsup:

Turbo_Steve
29-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Well, it's awesome and I am heartily jealous of the whole thing. :P

I assume the used price of an FL ECU is now twice what it was? :D

AderC
29-11-2009, 08:42 PM
There are four main maps for each of fuel and timing. There are hi and lo octane maps (think of it as normal and knock maps). I left the stock lo octane maps alone so as to preserve factory knock control and edited the hi octane maps. I set both map 1 and 2 the same. It is unclear in what circumstance it uses hi octane map 1 or 2.

Cheers,

Ben.

As I understand it, if knock is detected then the octane value is reduced from it's normal 100%. The ECU interpolates between the high and low octane maps and adjusts the fuelling/timing accordingly and continues to decrease the octane value until knock is no longer detected. In other words, it doesn't "switch" between the two maps, rather there is a smooth transition between the values in the hi and lo maps, based on the value of the octane flag. Say the timing advance is 20 in the hi map and 10 in the lo map, if the octane flag is reduced to 90%, the actual timing advance would be 19 deg.

aDe

Eurospec
29-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Yeah thats right Ade, but what i dont know is why there are two sets of each map, ie Hi Oct fuel 1, Hi oct fuel 2, Lo oct fuel 1 and lo oct fuel 2. The same repeats for timing.

Cheers,

Ben.

scientist
30-11-2009, 02:34 AM
Was it an Auto ECU? if so its most likely the 1-3 and 4-5 etc maps. Map 2 is usually the higher gears

Also, have you gotten 2byte load, rpm etc to work?

Marklar
30-11-2009, 04:25 AM
So is it possible to replicate these results on the piggyback or is the ECU performing some other magic in there.

Turbo_Steve
30-11-2009, 08:48 AM
So is it possible to replicate these results on the piggyback or is the ECU performing some other magic in there.

?? What piggyback ??

If you mean, can a Piggyback ECU be set up to achieve results like these, then, yes, use the search function, many many people have used piggy-back ECUs to great effect.

In Atiks case, it looks like his Emanage was limited by the amount of adjustment available, though it's possible this could be worked around with a fair bit of hassle.

Eurospec
30-11-2009, 12:06 PM
I didnt get the 2 byte load to work, but since load equates to kpa, i can measure it with the dyno- which makes it much easier for me to do.

For Mike, if he is reading this, i just recieved ECUtek files this morning for the airtek roms. This means whilst it may or may not be able to be done with ecu flash, it can be done with ecu tek.

Cheers,

Ben.

AlanDITD
30-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Yeah thats right Ade, but what i dont know is why there are two sets of each map, ie Hi Oct fuel 1, Hi oct fuel 2, Lo oct fuel 1 and lo oct fuel 2. The same repeats for timing.

Cheers,

Ben.

Maybe it has a secret VTEC function.........

Marklar
30-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Yeah sorry, I was meaning his E-Manage.

I guess I thought that the boost graphs would be much the same if the same boost controller was being used.

Does this imply that the engine is producing more and/or hotter exhaust gas?

Eurospec
30-11-2009, 12:48 PM
The issue with emannage is you cant get round the fuel cut unless you accept an afr that is lean- at least not without fuel injectors/or adjustable reg.

Cheers,

Ben.

miller
30-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Ohhhh excellent news Ben, will get in touch, most likely be the new year at this stage though.

AderC
30-11-2009, 01:35 PM
I didnt get the 2 byte load to work, but since load equates to kpa, i can measure it with the dyno- which makes it much easier for me to do.

Ben

What was the issue with the 2-byte load? Works fine for me (it was me who got it working!)

aDe

AderC
30-11-2009, 01:57 PM
There is an issue with the fueling addresses or something since when you adjust certain rpm ranges, the effect is observed at others. I found it really hard as a result to get the afr excactly as i wanted, so i ended up leaving it a bit on the richer side than i other wise would. The timing maps seem to respond as you expect.

I've not noticed any problems with the fuel map RPM range being wrong, as the AFRMAP values in my logs have been as expected from the cell values for a given RPM and load. I'll have a closer look at some of my logs tonight...

aDe

Turbo_Steve
30-11-2009, 02:49 PM
The issue with emannage is you cant get round the fuel cut unless you accept an afr that is lean- at least not without fuel injectors/or adjustable reg.

Last time I needed to do anything like this, there was a small "bypass" pipe around the MAF, and all four injectors ran adjusted values to compensate for the MAF under-reading: stopped me having to use so much of my 20% in the tables.

Wasn't an Emanage, though.

Eurospec
30-11-2009, 02:52 PM
The 2 byte i didnt pay much attention to in honesty aDe, since i can read it out of the dyno it was just a nice to have for me.

On the afr maps i was trying to adjust the afr in the 4k range (lean it out) but what happened waas the fuel came out at 6k. I put that back in and then took out fuel at 2k and it came out at 4k.

Wierd huh. It was a 20030010 Rom.

Cheers,

Ben.

AderC
30-11-2009, 08:08 PM
I've just looked back at a log from when I was confirming that the open loop load table was correct. I set the AFR cell at 60% load and 1500rpm to 15.4, and reduced the load at which open loop is triggered to 50%. I did get an AFRMAP value of just over 15 at this load and RPM so the scale is definitely OK at 1500rpm.

However, looking at another log, I've got AFRMAP values of 10.2 at 4500-5000rpm, when they shouldn't be that low until 6000rpm according to the map, so it looks like you're right about there being something amiss with the RPM scale.

scientist
30-11-2009, 08:08 PM

For Mike, if he is reading this, i just recieved ECUtek files this morning for the airtek roms. This means whilst it may or may not be able to be done with ecu flash, it can be done with ecu tek.

Cheers,

Ben.
Have you tried setting up a read template on the VR4 to see if upping the memory to 512K would help download the transmission maps?

Eurospec
02-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Errrrrrr, i could try, but i'm not sure how to do that!

Cheers,

BEn.

Eurospec
03-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Okay, so iadmit to being a dumb ass!

Can someone tell me how to upload the base vr4 xml i did?

Its on my lap top, so i cant e-mail from it, but it does have net access.

Cheers,

Ben.

Nutter_John
03-12-2009, 01:46 PM
rename the file as a pdf ( right click , select rename and call it what ever .pdf)

open the reply into advanced mode and then select manage uploads , attach the file and click upload , away you go

Eurospec
03-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Try this......

uploaded/2298/1259849329.jpg

Cheers,

Ben.

Eurospec
03-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Oh balls! Gonna pm the text to nutter.

Cheers,

Ben.

Atik
12-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Problem solved regarding the TCL flashing indicator on the dash! Mr Eurospec had put the wrong connector onto the TCL button /pan

There are number of switches above the coin tray in my car (old fog light, new fog light, TCL, wiper heater) and it was simply a case of the wrong plug being fitted to the wrong switch. I only found this because my heated wiper button wasnt illuminating so I took it out and realised they had been swapped.

I now have the TCL light auto switching off as per my old gizmo.

Eurospec
12-12-2009, 06:15 PM
LOL!

Sorry Atik!

Cheers,

Ben.

John TheAntique
12-12-2009, 08:54 PM
You got heated wipers? Wow, I feel bereft.

Atik
12-12-2009, 09:02 PM
I have a cold-spec car with the heated wiper pads on the front windshield. Not been able to fully utilise it yet as I havent yet driven in the freezing cold weather this winter.

John TheAntique
12-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Ah--