PDA

View Full Version : What should i pay

bro
11-06-2003, 11:13 PM
1997 legnum 21000 miles in blue private seller who bought 12 monthg ago at auction in Liverpool.
Any suggestions ?

calum
11-06-2003, 11:53 PM
Hi,

How are you? I'm fine - thanks for asking.

So you're new here? Well nice of you to say hello.

If your occupation is 'buy and sell' shouldn't you be telling us what it's worth?

Calum

haydar
12-06-2003, 12:40 AM
Why is the seller selling the car? Also, does the car have any modifications? How much is the seller asking for the car?

bro
12-06-2003, 09:12 AM
Appologies a big hello to all vr4 forum members.last night was a late night trying to decide if i should or if i should not i am an ex scooby owner who got sick of spending money on security to keep hold of my pride and joy.
Finally giving in and selling but i miss them.
Bought a Galant Estate v6 two years ago and love the car.
In my search for a late V6 Galant replacement became interested in Legnum,i am probably i little old at 49 for a car like this but what the heck im divorced and kids have grown up.
To answer your question no mods £8500 and time to move on.
Do members find themselves targeted by thieves or is the VR4/Legnum not as popular for joyriders/bank raiders/spare parts

bro

bro
12-06-2003, 09:23 AM
Just a foot note my occupational stated as "buying and selling" means a Fish and Chip shop and supplier to International Motors of car part.
Bro

calum
12-06-2003, 01:30 PM
8500 sounds good. To give you an idea, I paid a few grand more than that for mine just over a year ago. I've not had any problems with it theft wise - some idiot has scratched a key along the rear quarter panel. It does attract a lot of comments such as 'smart car' from passers by.

My old man's got a galant V6 estate INSERT INTO post VALUES (a 98) and he loves it. He bought it after we went on a holiday in Scotlandl in the VR4. It's nothing like the vr4 though INSERT INTO post VALUES (100bhp down, two driven wheels, no tiptronic and one gear less INSERT INTO post VALUES (auto)). Just doesn't have that shove in the back.

Mine had 23k on it when I bought it and was like new - so I'd expect one with 21k to be the same. Drive it and listen for knocks, rattles and check everything operates smoothly. Drive it slowly as well as quickly - sometimes easier to hear/ identify any issues.

They seem OK reliability wise - usual high performance car stuff - change the oil regularly, etc.

You're never too old to have fun!

Calum

Spirit
12-06-2003, 03:10 PM
£8500 sounds cheap to me. This is either good or bad - good if no issues but bad if he is desperate to sell if it has a problem.

Follow Calum's advice and also check for any oil leaks - especially around gearbox and at the back end INSERT INTO post VALUES (AYC). Issues with either of these costs a LOT !

For that money I would HPI it and also get an RAC/AA inspection done aswell for peace of mind. It has to be worth the money.

Cheers

Pete

bro
12-06-2003, 04:10 PM
Thanks Calum and Spirit 979.
But please tell me what is the AYC ?

bro
12-06-2003, 04:30 PM
Active Yawl Control ?
Can anybody tell what it looks like
Thanks Bro

jaysback
12-06-2003, 06:19 PM
think you will find its the rear diff m8 :)
pump for it is located on the right hand side INSERT INTO post VALUES (looking from rear) under a cover, behind the backoffside wheel.

Brind
12-06-2003, 09:34 PM
Auctions are ideal places to sell on dodgy motors!

He may have found something wrong such as a faulty gearbox = £4000 replacement.
AYC light has come on = likely pump failure £2000.
Oil found on the floor = simple oil plug faulty = engine out = mega money.
Rattling engine = normally nothing serious = can be sorted by flushing the engine, if it is more serious then it's serious money.

Has it had the usual services? if not you could be asking for other serious problems including the above.

21,000 miles is still very low but if not serviced it doesn't matter how many miles it's done especially if it has been thrashed.

My car spend more time sat on the driveway since it's only for pleasure.
But when I drive it like others will know with theirs, it gets amazing attention!!!!!! you could pull up alongside a Ferrari and still get attention!
IMO one of the best looking cars to come out of Japan.

bro
12-06-2003, 09:53 PM
I believe the auction was dockside virtually straight off the boat.
The present owner tells me a company brings cars in direct from Japan to Liverpool and a dock in the south and auctions direct to public and trade . SVA is diy

the_boy
13-06-2003, 03:29 PM
Howdy , thought I'd better say hello since I want to make my first post :D

Do the Legnum's need any modifications made once they reach our shores? For example do they need converting to take RON98 if they have come from Japan like the Scoobies do?

I must admit I 'm quite interested in buying one of these.
The guy locally has a saloon and estate available.
1997 with approx 45, 000 miles on the clock.

£8950 each.

I'm presuming the major service is quite expensive. What the norm for this?

Brind
13-06-2003, 04:20 PM
If you are buying from a dealer the car should have been SVA tested, to pass an SVA test the car has to past the legal requirements for this country.
This includes converting the speedo from KM to MPH, red fog light for the rear etc.
The VR-4s will adjust automatically to the lower octane fuel, but you will obviously lose some power.

Major service is around £600 I believe.
They must be serviced every 4,500 miles religiously.

bro
13-06-2003, 10:18 PM
Pending a close inspection of Legnum Estate and drive on Sunday + full AA inspection {£239} on Tuesday I will be proud owner next Wednesday.
Thanks for tips about oil leaks and slow speed knocking any other tips would be appreciated.
Bro.