PDA

View Full Version : 1.8 gdi questions

Avenger
24-11-2009, 08:44 PM
I've had my ST Gdi Legnum for a month now, and am very pleased with it.

But, I can find no record of a cambelt change, and it's done 98k KM.

So, is there are manual or similar available that details the job? Does it require any special tools? And is the belt readily available?

Thanks in advance,
Nick

crazydriver81
24-11-2009, 09:12 PM
The cars has the 4G93 GDI engine which was in the UK Spec Mitsi Carisma GDI too. So parts are easily available. You will need a tool to fix both Cams when taking off and putting on the cambelt. Optional you will need someone toassist you.

Anyhow, if you haven't done before...don't try this at home without help of someone who knows this stuff.

Rambaud
24-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Engine also used in Volvo S40/V40.

Avenger
24-11-2009, 09:29 PM
The cars has the 4G93 GDI engine which was in the UK Spec Mitsi Carisma GDI too. So parts are easily available. You will need a tool to fix both Cams when taking off and putting on the cambelt. Optional you will need someone toassist you.

Anyhow, if you haven't done before...don't try this at home without help of someone who knows this stuff.

Good to know that the bits are easy to get; presumably there's a tensioner to replace as well?

I've done plenty of cambelts before(and chains, remember them?), just not one of these. What I didn't want to do was find there's a specific expensive tool for something I'm unlikely to need more than once.

crazydriver81
24-11-2009, 09:42 PM
if you have experience in cambelt change than it's not a problem for you. It's the same like on the other 16 Valve DOHC engines from Mitsu or Hyundai. Hydraulic tensioner to be replaced, as well as the roll tensioners. ;)

For sure I know those chains...my motorbike has one too :D

Avenger
08-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Finished the belt change today, and I'm not impressed by the engine installation! The cost of the bits was a shock too; the last belt I bought was £8!

Considering how straightforward the actual belt change is(once I'd knocked up a tool to hold the tensioner pulley), what cretin 'designed' the way the engine goes in the car? I struggled for nearly an hour to get the engine mount out, when a slightly different shape would have made it easy; running the PAS pipe around the front of the engine mount is just ridiculous; there's no need for the belt cover backing plate to be bolted to the water pump, and the alternator adjuster bracket could have just as easily been bolted elsewhere. God only knows what the job is like on a V6!!

Still, at least it's done.

psbarham
08-12-2009, 11:16 PM
the v6 is easier due to it being about 3" shorter.

plus the v6 is a better engine, which is why my 1.8 gdi engine is sat on the workshop floor and a 2.5 v6 is in its original home.

do you want a spare engine? or 2? oh and a tiptronic gearbox to suit?????

Avenger
09-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Spare engine could be tempting, depending on how much you want for it, and where in the country you are! Mine's a manual; I really don't like autos.

Nick

bradc
09-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Plus one for the manual gearbox guy :D