PDA

View Full Version : Engine's idle speed

tesna
25-11-2009, 03:09 AM
Hi,

A while ago I just replaced my engine mounts with polyurethane. But I had a little problem, the idle speed of my car sometimes is quite low (500rpm-ish), so the car vibrates when idle.

Yesterday I took the car to the workshop to check on the problem. I get the throttle body cleaned (including the stepper motor & TPS), adjust/calibrate the SAS/fixed SAS, adjust/calibrate the TPS, and checked for problem using MUT-II.

The car does not output any diagnostic code on the MUT-II, according to the technician everything are working fine, but the techie says there is a little problem on the EGR sensor or something, but he said it isn't a big deal.

The thing is, sometimes the engine's idle rpm drop to 500 rpm. (it also happened before I cleaned the throttle body). Then I just noticed it yesterday, only drops to 500rpm when I set to A/C to AUTO at 25 degrees, and when outside temp are not far from the inside temp. I guess when the compressor on, but the a/c fan off.

So, in summary:

idle when a/c off: 750 rpm (according to MUT)
idle when a/c set below than 23 degrees: 750 rpm (Slightly increased for a moment then drops back to 750 rpm) I guess ICSV kicks in early before a/c compressor turned on? A/C fan is spinning.
idle when a/c set at 25 degrees (A/C fan stopped, a/c compressor on?): 500 rpm.

The question is, is that normal? ICSV appears working fine. In the MUT-II I can see the values (stepper value?) changed when a/c turned on. But I confused why the ICSV did not compensate when a/c fan isn't spinning? I guess the compressor still running but without the a/c fan.

The techie says it's normal, and to compensate that I should set the a/c temp below than 23 degrees and use manual control of the fan. The thing is, it's not convenient, I enjoyed the ability of the a/c to automatically adjust everything. and 23 degrees is too cold for me. :uhoh2:

aboo
25-11-2009, 07:52 AM
That sounds about right for idle.

Turbo_Steve
25-11-2009, 08:29 AM
You may have a "dead-spot" on the idle control motor. On mine, I pulled the ISCV out, and ground a little bit off the "idle stopper" with a dremmel. This forces the ECU to relearn the idle (as it now all idles much higher) and uses a different part of the stepper motor). It also means there is a "minimum" amount of flow past the valve.

It's a total bodge.