PDA

View Full Version : Undersealed body and arches

funkstardelux
27-11-2009, 12:02 AM
Decided last week that I need to underseal the car big time as it had nothing near enough due to it being a warm spec car. After lots of reading and scratching the old noggin I decided to use a paint called rust bullet. It wasn't cheap £130 but after reading about it I thought its for me. orederd 3 quarts..hey its american no litre cans..lol

So went to my mates garage. , took the arch liners off jacked the car up and steam pressure washed the whole of the car ..the amount of gunk that came off was unreal.

Then put it on a 2 post ramp and a load of heaters underneath it to dry it..and me and my mate using high guns too..fun and joy.

then it was on with the painting , used th normal paint which is silver metalic..bonus for me as my car is silver. after painting the arches and underside till 2 am decided to leave it for the day..sunday cracked on again with 2nd coat on arches decided to leave it silver and paint the under body with the gloss black.

and oh my giddy god it looked lush. even my mate was getting thrills of it..he works for a vintage car racing garage that do ferrari's etc he said this paint is the best stuff he's used for rust proofing.

Painted the drive shaft and most aux parts ..the hardest was the rear sub frame..it was a right pain to do.

went through around 10 brushes... it took 2 days..but well worth it.

but get the paint on your skin and it sticks for a weeks..its not toxic but is tough as nails.

Got to say the guy who sells rust bullet in the uk was a really helpfull guy. I don't usally recommend stuff ..but this rust bullet is god damn goooood stuff:dance:

psbarham
27-11-2009, 08:54 AM
looks good, is it an underseal? or is it like hamerite?

funkstardelux
27-11-2009, 11:00 AM
its like hamerite but tougher , its a four pack paint. it can be used as body or underseal.
this is the stuff
http://www.rustbullet.com/

miller
27-11-2009, 11:09 AM
those arches look awesome!

funkstardelux
27-11-2009, 11:13 AM
thanks chap.. i painted the whole underbody silver aswell but then used the black stuff to finish it as i had brought it..to be honest i prefer the silver look

Nick Mann
08-04-2012, 10:16 PM
So, Dave, how does this look over a year on? I am looking to underseal my car next month and I am leaning towards this at the moment.

The Vee
08-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Interested too

Nick Mann
09-04-2012, 10:38 AM
Reading around on the internet, lots of people seem impressed at the application stage. Very few have given negative feedback but very few have given feedback after more than a few months.

It is hinted at that the people behind rust bullet have insider knowledge of por-15 and whilst the formulation is similar they have tried to remove some of the negatives of por-15.

Most of what I am reading I like, it has less negative feedback than other stuff and the dealers seem to have a similar sales pitch to Don at Amsoil, i.e. show independant test results and give honest opinions of alternatives, letting their product sell itself to a certain extent.

I'd still like to hear Daves opinion on his after a year and a bit though!

The Vee
09-04-2012, 11:00 AM
Thank you Nick. Now where's that Dave got to.................

funkstardelux
09-04-2012, 10:43 PM
had the car on a ramp few weeks back , the underside is in great shape , driveshaft that was painted has no rust and other underbody sprayed with dinitrol looks good a slight show of orange in one section i think due to me to getting rust away completely and also it was applied and not let to dry properly as i had to drive home in the rain when it was done for 1 hour. Only gripe is inner rear wheel arch the dinistrol has seperarated aways from car an flaked off a bit but underneath rustbullet applied is fine. I have noticed a bit of rust on a wheel arch lip i have to look at closer as i dont know if i had painted it with rustbullet or not and will get back to you.

to be honest if i hadn't done the work when i did by now the car would prob be a rust bucket so £100 plus ish for materials was worth it as it was a warm spec car and had zero undersealing

ps cant take any pics of underneath as car is without gear change

The Vee
09-04-2012, 11:28 PM
OK Dave, thanks for the update.

Nick Mann
12-04-2012, 04:02 PM
It sounds like what you are saying is the rust bullet is outperforming the dinitrol? Thanks for the feedback, Dave. I still think that rust bullet is looking like the jobbie.

funkstardelux
14-04-2012, 02:52 PM
update the nearside rear arch lip has got slight rust appearing though the front arches are great no rust both had rustbullet and dinitrol applied

Nick Mann
21-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Got to say the guy who sells rust bullet in the uk was a really helpfull guy. I don't usally recommend stuff ..but this rust bullet is god damn goooood stuff:dance:

Yep - emailed them at about 11:00 last night to say that the gallon tins are currently showing as out of stock and to ask when they would be back in stock. Already had a reply (8:30 saturday morning!) to say shipment arrives end of next week at Liverpool , should be available to order middle of the following week. As my only experience thus far it's a good one.

Nick Mann
08-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Just a quick update - I bought a gallon tin of rust bullet automotive. After reading the instructions, you can only use very specific solvents with it and whilst the blurb says minimal preparation, it also says the bottom of the car must be grease free and dry. As my car has had a torque converter seal leak, the grease free bit has taken some time!!

Hopefully I'll have feedback on application within the week.

Nick Mann
29-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Application was fun and very messy. The drips on my skin stayed on for days, so don't do this job if you are getting married the next day! (Or going for a job interview, or need in any way to look professional!)

I am pleased with the results so far, but we are only a couple of months down the line.

One thing that is sticking in my mind is what to do about box sections. I have painted with a brush, so all the box sections only have external protection. I am now wondering about what to do to protect the inside of the box sections. Will a spray wax last a decent amount of time in there or not? Does anyone have any recommendations? Ideally I'd also want to use the spray inside the doors before I sound deaden them.

jayp
29-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Just a thought that has been in my head for a while, but if you ensure the are perfectly dry inside, what about expanding foam? Will prevent the moisture and crud getting inside?
I might be way off, and please tell me if I am!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

WOODY72
29-07-2012, 06:05 PM
A mixture of engine oil and diesel, then spray it into the sills. It comes out of the gun like a mist so should cover all of the inside. You can do it to the inside of the doors as well Nick.

Nick Mann
29-07-2012, 06:18 PM
How often would you do that Graham? I assume that it would come off relatively quickly. Wouldn't wax last longer?

Julian - interesting idea, but radical enough I'd like to think about it more and listen to others points of view on it! I guess it would work as a sound proofer and should also have a minor rigidity bonus too?

WOODY72
29-07-2012, 07:01 PM
You'd only have to do the doors and inside the sills once. As for underneath, i would think it's keep an eye on it after the first winter and make a decision. My other halfs Micra was done around 2 1/2yrs ago, and it's still as black as your hat underneath and looks well tidy. Even if you do it every 2 years it's free anyway and you can cover everything.