PDA

View Full Version : Tcl

Physician
09-07-2004, 10:48 AM
Simple question ..... if the traction control operates does the TCL light on the dashboard light up or is it there merely to advise if there is a fault with the system? The reason I ask is that my AYC is constantly lighting up but I've never seen the TCL light up apart from pre-engine start up.

It could be that I'm not driving/pushing it enough of course! :sad3:

Thanks,

Richard

enigma
09-07-2004, 11:13 AM
I dont understand why these cars have TCL! I have never managed to light the tyres up in a traction control required type way! I have a lot more power and torque than a standard car and I dont need it! Even in the wet I struggle to lose traction! The AYC sorts the back end out, and sometimes blips in a straight line presumably to stop me snaking. AYC and TCL seems super overkill, anyone that claims its for bad weather driving is missing one small point.

If you take a 280BHP monster out in the snow and boot it you are either a fool or a very very good driver who doesn't need TCL or AYC anyway!

I guess the Japs like feature packed cars, whether its any use or not.

<waits to be shot.......>

enigma
09-07-2004, 11:14 AM
Ooooh almost forgot.......I would expect the TCL light to come on if its doing something. :p

zentac
09-07-2004, 11:21 AM
On all the Mitsi`s Ive had the light comes on when its active. Mot driven a VR4 with it though

Spirit
09-07-2004, 12:38 PM
Never seen it light up on mine, and thats including Pod and track days

Darren
09-07-2004, 02:21 PM
The tcl light comes on just before a stall. I sometimes get it coming on after booting the car for a while. The idle at junctions gets a little rough and after a short hunt it normally sorts itself out. I did get it on constantly at one point, or at least on for a long time, after using the car, taking a break and continuing my journey the car would act up a little, Pescha outlined a fix regarding pressing vacuum hoses back in.
I find the hunt/cut out problem is compounded when I use the car in tip mode and therefore hold higher revs for longer.

KiwiTT
11-07-2004, 01:45 AM
Mine comes on, But I suspect it is because of my tyres. When replaced I'll see then.

-LegnumVR4-
11-07-2004, 10:22 AM
TCL light will flash on and off until it's ok to continue. U will feel power loss then it will recover when u have stopped playing silly buggers :p

I had it when i pulled out of a intersection and some nutter came around the corner at warp speed, had to nail it while on a sharp lock, the VR4 just took off then easied off the power a little until it gained traction. Feels a bit funny :dozey: Other time i had it is when lauching it. :-D

mike
11-07-2004, 01:03 PM
My TCL Light comes on when I'm pushing hard in the wet - and on the first lap or 2 of Japfest... So I turned it off :D more fun!

But the light comes on when active, I don't think it flashes - I'm never really concentrating on the dash when its lit... :rolleyes:

Mike.

Physician
12-07-2004, 01:19 AM
.......... - I'm never really concentrating on the dash when its lit... :rolleyes:

Mike.

Thanks everyone ........ yes Mike, that may well be the reason why I haven't seen it also.

LegnumVR4 ........... thanks, I *think* that's what may have happened to me ONCE only about three days ago when I was cornering very hard at maximum acceleration - I suddenly felt the car stop accelerating and actually thought at the time it was fuel starvation for some reason - it was THAT sudden and 'strong' a feeling. I guess it was only a millisecond until it returned to normal again ...... but that's very interesting to know what it feels like when TCL cuts in, thanks.

Richard