PDA

View Full Version : Restrictor Pills

Spirit
02-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Anyone know a place that can custom make a restrictor pill ?

My Evo has one with a 1.3mm hole and need to change it to a 1.2mm hole

Cheers

Turbo_Steve
02-12-2009, 05:40 PM
I made my own last time I needed one.
I used a bolt of the same size as the hose, and just cut the head off and a slot in one side of around the right width.

Failing that, ring up Grade-A subaru (or any subaru breaker) and they should have plenty of pipes with one in: it goes to the bottom of the boost solenoid on any 3-port solenoid installation.

Spirit
02-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Thanks Steve

I did notice Subaru do 1.0mm, 1.1mm and 1.2mm ones. Bloody Mitsy don't supply them anymore :furious4:

Barney
03-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Strange
Every hole that I know of gets bigger with use:whistle:

Spirit
04-12-2009, 12:09 AM
It's becoming more complicated than I first thought.....always the way !

Turns out the Mitsy pill is a special design so the air flows a certain way etc etc. Even found a company in the USA who make them but not in the size I need :dizzy2:

Sometimes you just wish you never started something :undecided

Anyone know where any FQ330's are being broken ?

Nutter_John
04-12-2009, 12:11 AM
shove a wanted up on mlr , or drop dave@ears a pm on there as he should be able to get one

Spirit
04-12-2009, 12:16 AM
shove a wanted up on mlr , or drop dave@ears a pm on there as he should be able to get one

Nobody on the MLR has them mate, and Mitsy no longer supply them so not sure Dave could even help. :uhoh2:

Nutter_John
04-12-2009, 12:19 AM
well thats a PIA hmm only thing I can think of is for you to buy a full on boost controller like the Apexi type R :D

Spirit
04-12-2009, 12:26 AM
I have sent an email to Ears just in case.

Apexi AVC-R you say :whistle:

psbarham
04-12-2009, 07:47 AM
I have sent an email to Ears just in case.

Apexi AVC-R you say :whistle:

/subliminal voice mode on, do it, do it, do it /Devil5

Turbo_Steve
04-12-2009, 08:30 AM
Hang on.....I'm experiencing some disbelief here!

We're talking about the boost control mechanism: so where is the pill?

Assuming this is a two port solenoid, then the atmospheric bleed is restricted by the size of the hole in the solenoid. So the pill must be between the actuator and the solenoid?

If this is the case, it really should just be there to smooth the boost control mechanism, preventing bleed from happening too quickly.

If that's the case, you can usually use a simple pipe-clamp (as used in labs up and down the land) to clamp down on the pipe and get roughly the right restriction. I've done this on other cars, (including an Evo 5) so I can't believe the later ones are that different.

Finally, as NJ say, you could just stick a boost controller on it.
You could go for an EBC, or you could just say sod it and stick a ball-and-spring device on there. It's about as sophisticated as the factory boost control anyway!

Nutter_John
04-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Too much info Steve , all Pete needs to know is ->

Pete buy an Apexi boost controller for Xmas, the car will thank you :D

<- The simple anwsers are the best :)

Paul C
04-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Halfrauds do a a selction box of plastic couplers, connectors and T-pieces for rubber pipe. I don't know if they will be useful for your application.

Spirit
04-12-2009, 05:02 PM
There are two restrictor pills on the Evo VIII.

The one at the compressor housing end controls the boost levels (and should increase mine from around 1.3 to 1.5 with the correct pill), and the other one controls the flow and should stabilise boost spikes.

The good news it looks like I have managed to locate one, from the original manufacturer ! It's in the post today (£6)

The reason I have gone this route is that I managed to acquire an FQ330 piggyback ECU for a mere £35 ! Whilst I appreciate a remap would be better, and also get me to about 360bhp, this option is considerably cheaper in the interim and would also allow me to remove it easily and put the car to standard if I decide to sell it next year /yes