PDA

View Full Version : Manual facelift Galant in E&I

projectdarkstar
03-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Have you seen this one:
http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/cars_popup.jsp?did=19952&pageid=2&originalid=&gid=nogroup&tid=40&start=3&distance=0&adcategory=cars&channel=DEALERPAGE&id=200941343296404

Facelift manual for 4,695.
Looks decent, price isn't bad but I've read mixed reviews about E&I and quality of their cars. Plus it's been there for a long time now and my paranoid nature tells me there has to be something wrong with it if it hasn't been sold yet.
I'm tempted but don't have time to travel over 150 miles on a possible wild goose chase.
What do you think?

pezza
03-12-2009, 12:18 PM
I think a pal of mine went to have a look at that one, for some reason he walked away but will speak to him to find out why.

It may be because he wanted a type-s but think that this E&I car is a type V, with LSD instead of the type-s AYC (Even tho the ad states Type -S) The car looks like it has the non hi vis dash which was typically in type v also

I am wondering why this car also has prefacelift wheels (just as an observation not a problem). Maybe the previous owner had after market alloys which were removed prior to selling the car on.

Cheers

Derek

Nutter_John
03-12-2009, 12:24 PM
There is a 97 p reg manual for sale in stevenage for half that money , have a look in the for sale section on here

elnevio
03-12-2009, 03:05 PM
I am wondering why this car also has prefacelift wheels (just as an observation not a problem). Maybe the previous owner had after market alloys which were removed prior to selling the car on.
I think they became standard facelift Type V alloys? Brad might confirm this later...

Xanadu Detailing
03-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Type V's were sold with Pre-face wheels as standard yes.

projectdarkstar
03-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Did any pre or post facelift Galants came in Type-S trim? Ideally, if I'm buying one I'd like the best one there is i.e. with AYC and all.

Nutter_John
03-12-2009, 04:00 PM
The one I refer'd to in Stevenage in the for sale section has ayc and is at £2400

Ralliart1
03-12-2009, 06:40 PM
"It will be fully ESVA tested"
???
The 10 years old cars don't need ESVA test.
I have two VR4s from them.I bought the car from persons whom bought from E&I.One had problems like transferbox oilseal and waterpump leak,second one is perfect.

bradc
03-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Abridged version to include relevant info only:

Introduction:
Over the 6 years of 8th Generation VR-4 production the primary mechanicals stayed the same, the drivetrain, including engine, gearbox and brakes were constant however the specifications and options were changed over time, with the primary upgrade occurring in August 1998
August 1996 to July1998 (prefacelift):
There were two main models available with 2 limited run special editions. All prefacelift VR-4’s have AYC along with the High Vis dash. Almost all options such as sunroof/moonroof, colours, tan leather or fabric, cold or warm spec and side airbags were available on standard models, with the exception of the COTY and Super VR-4’s.
The various models and their differences are listed below:
VR-4
This was the manual version with 206kw at 5500rpm and 363nm at 4000rpm. An AYC differential was fitted at the rear but there was no option for stability or traction control. Standard equipment from factory included multispoke BBS forged wheels although these were often changed for the standard 5 spoke Enkei wheels. Both designs were 16x6”, 46mm offset and came with 205/55/16 tyres. The BBS wheels are 1.5kg lighter than the Enkei wheels. The standard interior was a dark grey fabric with various highlight colours woven into the main grey and black colours. The steering wheel was the standard 4 spoke design. Original price in Japan was 2,980,000 Yen for Galants and 3,060,000 Yen for Legnums.
VR-4 Type S
Only available with an automatic gearbox and included stability control (ASC) that cannot be switched off and traction control (TCL). The TCL turns itself on with the car but can be turned off via a switch on the dashboard. The ASC can apply the brakes individually to help bring the car back in line with its intended direction by using G-sensors, Steering wheel angle sensor and Wheel speed sensors. The TCL simply limits engine power by closing the throttle and in turn limiting the power output. When either system is functioning a ‘skidding car’ icon lights up on the dash board and flashes. Again, all prefacelift VR-4’s came with the AYC diff including the Type S. The standard interior trim and steering wheel were the same as the manual cars. To help protect the automatic gearbox the engine was slightly detuned by setting it to run at a lower turbo boost setting of approximately 7psi, 0.48 bar whereas the manual version was set to approx 8psi, 0.54 bar. This resulted in the car being rated at 191kw and 343nm, still at the same engine speeds as the peak outputs in the manual cars. The engine is identical and an increase in boost via an aftermarket boost controller will ‘fix’ the power output. Due to the gearbox the Type S is 40kg heavier than the standard VR-4. Original price 3,094,000 Yen for Galants and 3,174,000 Yen for Legnums

August 1998 to April 2000 (facelift)

VR-4 models became more complicated with the August 1998 Facelift, there were now VR-4’s available with and without AYC. The ASC and TCL system was now optional on Auto VR-4’s, it was a rare option though. New options were available, the Momo Steering wheel and Recaro seats from the Super VR-4 could be optioned on all models, while the tan leather option was still available. The centre console was the yellow/grey carbon fibre imitation weave from Super VR-4’s as well. The cars with tan leather still had the woodgrain centre console. The standard seats were the same as before but wore the black and red fleck coloured fabric from Super VR-4’s. All facelift automatics have 206kw and 363nm just like the manual VR-4’s. Stock facelifts tend to run slightly higher boost than prefacelifts, at around 9psi, 0.6 bar even though they are rated at the same power and torque figures. The small increase in boost is only apparent in the middle of the rpm range increasing torque. By 5000rpm the boost has dropped down to the same level as prefacelifts. The overall difference is small and would only result in 10nm or less increase in torque. New colours were introduced, including a very dark blue called Indigo Blue and medium burgundy colour called Roanne Red. Mechanical changes were few, the primary point of difference is that Brembo brakes from an Evolution 5-9 will bolt straight onto the facelift cars. The MMCS system was also updated to a widescreen 16:9 version over the 4:3 version on prefacelifts. Legnum VR-4’s were the only ones to undergo structural sheetmetal changes, the tailgate was modified along with the rear bumper to moderise the appearance of the car. The body kit on facelifts was updated too with new front and rear bumpers, side skirts, grill and the bonnet bulge was made substantially larger.

Galants:
VR-4 Type V
The Galant VR-4 Type V was available with both automatic and manual gearbox options. The primary difference between a Type V facelift and a prefacelift VR-4 was that AYC had been dropped for a standard open differential at the rear. The dashboard style had also been changed to a standard style of dash that was on normal non turbo 8th Gen Galants and Legnums, the other interior change was that the auto gear shift cover plate was black, the same as prefacelifts. The wheels were the standard 5 spoke carried over from prefacelifts. These were the lightest of all VR-4’s, with the manual weighing in at 1460kg and the automatic at 1500kg. The rear wing remained the same from prefacelifts. The manual version was 2,643,000 Yen and the automatic was 2,767,000 Yen
VR-4 Type S
The Type S was still available with AYC as standard equipment however ASC and TCL were now options. Galant VR-4 Type S’s were only available with automatic gearboxes. It is not possible to buy a facelift manual Galant with AYC. The Type S model had the same front bumper, side skirts and rear bumper as the Type V, the only external differences were the addition of wheel arch flares and slightly wider 16x6.5” 38mm offset Enkei wheels which wore 225/50/16 tyres. Internally they had the same High Vis dash as the prefacelifts but strangely the indicator lights for AYC operation were made slightly smaller. The auto gear shift cover plate was silver, like on Super VR-4’s. The price was 2,981,000 Yen.

May 2000 to August 2002 (minor update)
This update was across the board for all VR-4’s. The interior trim pattern changed to a softer grey fabric on the standard seats and the Recaro option, resembling Suede on the door cards and on the Recaro seats. The Momo steering wheel which had carried red sections on the side since its introduction became black all around. The Type V Galants and Legnums now came with the High Vis dash and their wheels changed to the polished style of stock wheels that were on the COTY VR-4’s. The Tan leather option was still available and still came with the wood centre console and steering wheel, while the cars with standard seats or Recaros now came with a Grey centre console. The pricing changed slightly, the Type V’s went up 30,000 Yen, while the Type S models stayed at the same price.

projectdarkstar
04-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Thanks Bradc. That clears up a lot of questions.
It looks like the car I wanted doesn't exists :( and I can't combine facelift manual and AYC. Unless I fit the AYC after I buy the car. Or do manual conversion.
At least now I know I have to be very wary of any potential car and check the spec thoroughly.

Atik
04-12-2009, 01:43 PM
So you want a facelift with manual transmission and AYC as standard. I'm sure that was readily available from the factory. I think you are confusing the AYC with ASC/TCL which was an option on the FL cars.

A FL/manual/AYC car will be available, but you might have to wait a while for one to come along. The 10 year import rule means that only now the FL cars are beginning to be imported. But due to the current recession, there are not many being imported.

Good luck in the search

White Lightning
04-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Sorry Atik, I think you are wrong :P

There is no such thing as facelift manual with AYC. All facelift manuals are Type-V's which do not have AYC.

If you want a Galant with a manual gearbox and AYC you will have to buy a pre-facelift, like mine :d ... you could get the one that NJ is referring to.

Alternatively, you could buy a facelift Type-S (all Type-S's are auto) and convert it to manual like Atik has.

Atik
04-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Hmm, I stand corrected /yes

Looks like I have the best combination of specifications in any VR4 EVER! Though it didnt start out that way :D

pezza
04-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Hmm, I stand corrected /yes

Looks like I have the best combination of specifications in any VR4 EVER! Though it didnt start out that way :D

Its just the Facelift Saloons that wont have the AYC, the facelift manual legnums / galant estates have AYC.

bradc
04-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Yes, all facelift manual legnums are Type S's and have AYC.

Atik
04-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Arghh. Too much information to take in! Learn something new everyday here :)

bradc
04-12-2009, 09:28 PM
All prefacelifts however have AYC :) And all prefacelift autos have ASC+TCL