PDA

View Full Version : Dump Valve

Wodjno
09-07-2004, 02:36 PM
I have read that the recirculating dumpvalve can leak as i read this yesterday on another site .. i have thought for quite a while now that my dumpvalve sounds as thou it is releasing pressure to early and that it sounds quite loud for a re-circulating type .. has anybody else had problems with this and is there any easy way of finding out if it is working ok without taking it into the dealers ..

enigma
09-07-2004, 02:43 PM
is there any easy way of finding out if it is working ok without taking it into the dealers ..

Err......replace it with a dump to atmoshepre?!!! :D

Wodjno
09-07-2004, 03:28 PM
Cheers Dave .. Now why didn't i think of that :rolleyes: Yes i know i could just exchange oe 1 for aftermarket , but i don't want all that noise all of the time :rolleyes5 .. i have seen 1 for sale from the states that allows you to turn it from re-circulating to atmospheric at the twist of a knob .:smug: but thay are £250 :( .. probably alot cheaper than an oe recirculating 1 thou :-D .. will give it a bit more thought and i would have to make the posty become invisible to Mrs WODJ and then stealthfully fit it without here knowing.. and then obviously ... WHAT NOISE DEAR >> THATS BEEN THERE ALL THE TIME :laugh:

simpsonm
09-07-2004, 03:57 PM
Do you have a boost guage attached.

If it was leaking, wouldn't the boost guage register it?

Wodjno
09-07-2004, 04:07 PM
Do you have a boost guage attached.

If it was leaking, wouldn't the boost guage register it?
yes i have a gauge .. It seems to holding about the right psi .. but i have had a problem trying to up my boost i can't seem to get it above standard maybe the bov is releasing it to early ??

Polabear
09-07-2004, 04:14 PM

Whootashaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!! :evil1: :evil2: :devil5:

Wodj,

Is your car manual or tip..? if tip you won't get the Dump all the time, only when the box changes gear, with a manual box you can scare the SH!TE out of cyclist's , pensioners , and kiddies any time you want.... :lipsrseal

PS, what you really want is an HKS SSQ Dumper.... :rolleyes5 ;)

Wodjno
09-07-2004, 04:19 PM
Whootashaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!! :evil1: :evil2: :devil5:

Wodj,

Is your car manual or tip..? if tip you won't get the Dump all the time, only when the box changes gear, with a manual box you can scare the SH!TE out of cyclist's , pensioners , and kiddies any time you want.... :lipsrseal
Its a tip .. but even on the oe recirculating on light throttle whenn i lift off i can a tashish noise .. if i'm holding say 3500rpm then let of the gas i can still her it .. but it sounds more a leaky sound like releasing some air out of your tyre valve 4 say a second or so ??

simpsonm
09-07-2004, 09:24 PM
If the dumpvalve was leaking I would expect a hissing sound when the boost kicks in. Like a constant release of pressure, have you checked whether the return pipe is securely fastened? The clip may have come loose.

Homer Lawtey
10-07-2004, 03:58 AM
Don't know if this is of any use to you guys, but on the GTO the re-circ dump-valve has a small hole in the middle of it for constant re-circ. The spring is also weak, so when you up the boost it leaks and makes a noise like an owl hooting.

I've done the same as many other GTO owners and swapped the standard BOV for a Nomad double piston BOV. This costs somewhere between 50 and 80 quid (I can't remember, but I know it's cheaper than most).

Steve

-LegnumVR4-
10-07-2004, 08:11 AM
I have the GFB blow off maximus, the spring in this BOV isn't srong enough 4 my setup. The blow off valve will start to leak/bleed (release the built up pressure) when in manual mode holding high revs and backing off the throttle. Just need a stronger spring then i can adjust it so it the valve snaps back quicker/stronger.

Rhys

ako
17-07-2004, 10:11 AM
Not sure if the later models are the same as mine - but mine leaked at 14 - 15psi, and for ages noone could work out why i couldnt raise boost. Couldnt hear a thing at all, wasnt till i discovered by chance (getting a vent-to-atmo bov) we figured out what it had been all along. Go figure.