PDA

View Full Version : ATF bedding in?

I-S
09-07-2004, 09:57 PM
Does ATF take a while to settle down and give really smooth shifts? I had mine replaced recently as the car was hesitating/overrevving between shifts, and generally not being very smooth. It's still not as smooth as I think it should be, but I might just be being overly sensitive/paranoid...

Kieran
09-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Does ATF take a while to settle down and give really smooth shifts? I had mine replaced recently as the car was hesitating/overrevving between shifts, and generally not being very smooth. It's still not as smooth as I think it should be, but I might just be being overly sensitive/paranoid...

No. You should notice an immediate improvment. If not, find out what fluid has been used, and check the level is correct. You need to do this with the gearbox nice and warm, with engine RUNNING, and in position N. Cycle whilst stationary through all available gear positions, then return to N and take a measurement. Chances are the box has been slightly overfilled.

miller
07-09-2009, 03:49 PM
whats the symptons if overfilled? is there a level drain plug?

I think i may have just overfilled my box, gulp!

Nutter_John
07-09-2009, 03:53 PM
No Mike there is no drian plug other than the main one

Goto screwfix and buy a big sucker and some pipe , shove it down the fill tube and suck some atf out

White Lightning
07-09-2009, 03:56 PM
I drained a bit out using the normal drain plug when I thought mine was overfilled. Just be slow and careful and it's fine. It's a nightmare getting the level right isn't it!

miller
07-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Okay, so at cold it showed a 1/4 level on the cold indicator only. Not incl the hot level.

Should i have just filled for a 3/4 on the cold or 3/4 to include the hot? Make sense?

Confused
07-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Did you reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery?

Edit: I only noticed the original date AFTER I hit the submit button...

miller
07-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Did you reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery?

not sure that applies to me or to the original post of 2004. apologies for confusing but i did search :rulez:
dont think an ECU reset will help me? Maybe a miller brain reset would be of more use :smash:

Confused
07-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Damn people bumping old threads!

White Lightning
07-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Okay, so at cold it showed a 1/4 level on the cold indicator only. Not incl the hot level.

Should i have just filled for a 3/4 on the cold or 3/4 to include the hot? Make sense?

LOL!

I have been through all this. The COLD reading is actually not very important but it is MUCH easier to read. As long as it's somewhere in the COLD range it's OK.

The HOT reading is the important one. I think this is right ... get the car nice and warm, stop on level ground cycle through all gears twice and then leave it in N with the engine running ... then as quickly as possible take a reading on the dipstick.

You will find the dipstick is really hard to read so put it in 90% if the way and pull it up and down a few times to clear all the oil in the dipstick and then take a reading. You may need to do a few readings to convince yourself what you are reading!

miller
07-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Cheers Wayne,

I measured when cold it read 1/4 off the base cold line if the cold section was 4/4.

So off i fill, just under one litre /Wave

Cycled for 5 minutes whilst stationary through DNRP12 etc etc. Now reading i cant get, the whole plasticy thing is red.

See pic below. When cold i fill to the yellow fill mark or the pink fill mark?

I-S
07-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Nice thread revival.

For the record, the problem in my case was that mitsubishi dealers are incompetant and had only changed the fluid in the sump. A full change to Amsoil solved the problem.

miller
07-09-2009, 04:58 PM
right after following the procedure above by Wayne it now appears its only over the O in Hot full! so its underfilled grrrr

Thats presuming the car sat for 10mins idling is sufficient to get the oil hot? At least im getting a reading similar on two occasions consecutively!

So after removing a 1/4 litre by this little contraption it now seems i got to put it back in! /pan /pan

im gonna take another 10 readings :sigh:

Confused
07-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Idling in P or idling in N?

I'd take it for a 5-10 minute drive, park it up, flick between N-R-N-1-2-1-N a couple of times then check it.

Nutter_John
07-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Love the sucker thing Mike , full points for bodgery

miller
07-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Right, im getting there. Consistent readings when hot, car idling in N so the fluids actually circulating of just over the T of hot, After gear cycling, N, check repeatedly. That should do just fine.

So on balance judging by what i put back in i overfilled by half a litre.

So 'bodgery' (is that points or rep?!) device removed 1/4 litre in just a few minutes. Saved me jacking up, removing undertray malarky gulp! /Poms

Cheers guys, its a black art in itself to get the readings :karate: