PDA

View Full Version : nasty noise

craig-1
10-07-2004, 05:47 PM
has anyone ever had a nasty creaking and creakin noise coming from the front eng. when im driving i dont hear it but when i brake from 40-0 iget the clicking sound and when i come to a stop i get the creaking noise(i think ive got gremlins) HELP. :scared1:

Kieran
10-07-2004, 08:06 PM
has anyone ever had a nasty creaking and creakin noise coming from the front eng. when im driving i dont hear it but when i brake from 40-0 iget the clicking sound and when i come to a stop i get the creaking noise(i think ive got gremlins) HELP. :scared1:

That's exactly what my GLS does... Nothing ever gets picked up on when it goes for a service however and it's been clanking, creaking and clunking away for more than a year now - I got fed up with "We can't find anything wrong, sir". I'm hoping that it's the balljoints that are screwed.

Japmetal
10-07-2004, 08:26 PM
I have several crweaky groany noises emanating from my suspension which I put down to worn bushes in various places - although one of mine are particularly braking-related, and I'd hope my Galant has done a fair bit more mileage than yours [just shy of 120,000] :sad3:

craig-1
10-07-2004, 11:08 PM
its only done 65000 miles.
another Q how do i go about fitting side lights into my fog lights

Exbury
17-02-2007, 08:33 PM
Hmm, doing a bit of a search and turned up this post. Anyone resolve any of these issues as my Galant is now reproducing the exactly the same noises as described above.

No noise when driving
Less noise when braking hard from 30mps-ish to 0
clicking,squeaking and groaning if braking slowly from 30mps-ish to 0

I think a wheel bearing is also going but not sure that would cause the above symptoms!

Kieran
17-02-2007, 11:05 PM
Well, Isaac Sibson also had these issues with his GLS, If memory serves.

Think the clunk/crack/clack/creak was down to no anti-rattle shims on the back of the brake pads in the main - though a good strip, re-grease and refit would probably help too. Certainly it seems that way - My word, an old thread... Been nearly 3 years since I got rid of my GLS....:inquisiti

Paul Beazer
17-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Hmm i had this on my V6. I seem to recall taking the wheels off, the removing the disks, cleaning the inside mating faces of the disk and the hub, scraping off any corrosion and crap, then putting a thin smear of copper slip or similar on the contacting faces sorted it out.

Exbury
18-02-2007, 07:04 PM
Ah, I did clean up my brakes on my V6 (early smaller brakes version), re-did the copper grease, the noise disappeared for a few days then came back.....no anti-squeal plates on the pads though, need to look in the new box. Time to strip and put back new brake discs and pads as the discs look too dodgy to me, one of the inner sides is only biting about 20mm wide band!
Thanks guys.