PDA

View Full Version : ...if something sounds too good to be true

rees
09-12-2009, 11:10 AM
it ALWAYS ISNT TRUE:stop:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/200949347356578/sort/priceasc/usedcars/make/mitsubishi/model/galant/radius/1500/postcode/de557el/page/2/adid/200948347242708?previous=%2Fsearch%2Fresults%2Fuse dcars%2Fpostcode%2Fde557el%2Fradius%2F1500%2Fmake% 2Fmitsubishi%2Fmodel%2Fgalant%2Fpage%2F2%2Fsort%2F priceasc%2Fadid%2F200948347242708&anchor=advert200949347356578&logcode=p

good car? good price ?

CAT C IN 2008 ,

was gonna buy it but hpi'd it

just posting up to save other folk £20 quid (or more if the bought it by mistake!:sick2: )

ritch_w
09-12-2009, 12:28 PM
By law (AFAIK) a trader should declare the car cat C

report him to auto trader and trading standards

pitslayer
09-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Depends what it was cat C for, I mean Galants are so cheap these days that a Cat C write off could be as simple as a front end knock, might be worth checking it out.

Also worth taking into consideration that this would be tres expensive to tax a year believe it falls into one of the top tier tax bands.

elnevio
09-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Depends what it was cat C for, I mean Galants are so cheap these days that a Cat C write off could be as simple as a front end knock, might be worth checking it out.

Also worth taking into consideration that this would be tres expensive to tax a year believe it falls into one of the top tier tax bands.
You might well be right, but you appear to have missed the point of the post in the first place, which is that the dealer is REQUIRED to advise of Cat C/D status.

pitslayer
09-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Care to point out where the law says he must declare it? As all I have found so far is that a dealer doesn't have to declare a car has been written off unless the potential buyer asks, then they have to tell you.

You could call misrepresentation on the dealer, but to be fair it isnt really misrepresented he hasn't tried to hide the fact its written off, he just hasn't stated it has been written off.

If you find the actual written bit of law which says that a dealer must advise/declare a car has been written off then I will take note of it, but I am googling now and so far my suspicions have been confirmed that a dealer does not have to reveal a cars history, granted its not a good way of doing business and certainly not a way I would sell a car.

I may be wrong though, I just cant find anything solid other than people calling it misrepresentation or fraud, which is what it can be interpreted as, but the dealer hasn't implied the car isn't written off or as described.

Cat C or not in reality that is an utter bargain.

elnevio
10-12-2009, 01:16 AM
Hey, I didn't check it was right - all I was doing was pointing out the point of the first post!

That aside, and I've got too much other stuff to do to Google it now, but I suspect that if your supposition that it isn't in fact required by law is correct, dealers may however still be required to follow industry guidelines to be a member of the relevant motor dealers association, whatever that may be. Breaches of these codes of practice may well have repercussions that effect trading/business as bad as effects of legal breaches.

Otherwise, the salient *part* of your post is agreeable - Cat C doesn't necessarily mean a problem.

Nutter_John
10-12-2009, 11:06 AM
From my view point a cat C is better than a cat D , the reason I see this is that from what I recal a cat D does not need anything other than an MOT to put it back on the road where as with a cat C they need to under go a VIC test at a DVLA inspection site ( like a IVA test )

So all may not be as bed

zedy1
12-12-2009, 09:16 PM
was it 03 plate black with leathers

Nick Mann
12-12-2009, 10:38 PM
I think it was Mo. Do you know what it was?

rees
13-12-2009, 10:49 AM
pits is correct unless the buyer asks you dont have to declare it , and it doesnt mention it on a log book , which i thought strange and also to what john said ; i wouldnt put too much faith in the VIC check mate , its a 5 min job basically checking the chasis number etc so make sure the car is as its described on paper , its not great

now putting that all aside

john you know how we said that i f i were to buy it ( before we learned of its cat c status) we or you said that because it harry cheapsters it wouldnt even be worth putting on fully comp insurance because its so cheap and pay out wouldnt be worth what i pay a month?
with that in mind am considering ringing him and syin words to the effect " look mate i know its a cat c write off and i know what that means and i know you wont shift it so lets talk proper money " ie £1000-1200

obviously ask him what the story is etc

then just buy it mega cheap , that way you could have a nice comfortable runaround that you dont care if you crash it

what ya reckon dudes??

rees
13-12-2009, 10:52 AM
was it 03 plate black with leathers

yeah mo dou you know the background of this car ?
was it a bad whack ?

elnevio
13-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Looks possible that it has already gone: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45021 and the Autotrader link doesn't work now either.

rees
14-12-2009, 10:16 AM
ive got a set of the vr4 twin fogs
you wouldnt be able get get em both working ( unless you do some custom wiring )

but at least they look better than the stadard elegance ones relativley cheap as i dont need them too