PDA

View Full Version : VR4 problem... HELP!

richibass
10-07-2004, 09:33 PM
I've just bought my first VR4 and it has a couple of problems! The first is that under accelleration it sometimes seems to miss-fire! Has anyone had the same problem, or heard about it?

The other problem is that after driving at speed (coming of a motorway) if I stop the engine just cuts out! The guy I bought the car of provided me with a HKS idle controller but for some reason he didnt fit it. Does anyone know if firstly this will solve the problem, and secondly how difficult these are to fit!

Cheers guys, I'd appreciate any help

Richibass

Kieran
10-07-2004, 09:40 PM
I've just bought my first VR4 and it has a couple of problems! The first is that under accelleration it sometimes seems to miss-fire! Has anyone had the same problem, or heard about it?

The other problem is that after driving at speed (coming of a motorway) if I stop the engine just cuts out! The guy I bought the car of provided me with a HKS idle controller but for some reason he didnt fit it. Does anyone know if firstly this will solve the problem, and secondly how difficult these are to fit!

Cheers guys, I'd appreciate any help

Richibass

Ok...

First Problem... Does it do it at about 40ish MPH in 4th or top on a lightish throttle, or is it all the time? if it's under these conditions then you may have the torque convertor lockup problem (I assume it's an auto). There's lots of info about it on here if you do a quick search.

Second Problem... Hmmm.... Try resetting the ECU. Could be lots of things... First thing coming into my head is a leaking/worn blow off/dump valve.

richibass
11-07-2004, 11:50 PM
Ok...

First Problem... Does it do it at about 40ish MPH in 4th or top on a lightish throttle, or is it all the time? if it's under these conditions then you may have the torque convertor lockup problem (I assume it's an auto). There's lots of info about it on here if you do a quick search.

Second Problem... Hmmm.... Try resetting the ECU. Could be lots of things... First thing coming into my head is a leaking/worn blow off/dump valve.

Hi Kieran,
It does do it in 4th or top, but at any speed under heavy throttle! Ive just done a 200 mile trip and its P'ing me off now! Do you still think it could be the torque converter lock up problem?

With the second problem, how easy is it to reset the ECU (you can probably tell I'm a bit of a novice as far as these cars go!)

Cheers mate

Spirit
11-07-2004, 11:56 PM
With the second problem, how easy is it to reset the ECU (you can probably tell I'm a bit of a novice as far as these cars go!)

Just disconnect the battery negative for at least 30seconds - I always leave it a couple of minutes.

Remember to take down any radio settings/codes etc that are permanent live reliant and will need to be re-set up

Brind
11-07-2004, 11:58 PM
I've moved your post to a more appropriate place.

You can reset your ECU by simply removing the power for a few seconds.
Don't forget to disable your alarm first though!

The misfire could be an air leak somewhere, faulty spark plug/s.
It has been mentioned before, I'm sure someone will have a more precise answer.