PDA

View Full Version : Custom Sub Box

KennyM
12-12-2009, 09:09 AM
So I brought a wagon so I could have plenty of space.
Throw the golf clubs in the back.
Snowboard in the back.
Even slept in the back (not such a bright idea as this was the same time as the snowboarding trip......)

But I like some bass while im driving.
Question: where does the sub go? /wall

Just thought Id let you know how I got on.

Time taken:
About 4 hours - Box creation and wiring. (not 100% complete yet)

Special Tools:
Long a** Philips No. 2 to remove headunit ($17 @ bunnings)
Bevel for getting sides of angles ($10 @ bunnings)
300mm Compound Mitre saw (expensive - find someone who has one)
Table saw (same as above)

Costs:
Switch $6 Pick a Part (wreakers - Plus $1 entry fee)
LW2.260 Soundstream amp $100 2nd hand from flatmate
Slim Pioneer TS-SW1241D, 12inch Sub $199 from Mad Sounds.
Fusion wire pack $50 (power+fuse, earth, rca, remote plus speaker wire I didnt use)
Timber for box - Taken free from work. Which is why the top is ply and the sides are custom wood, only what was there.

Please excuse the 3meg images. Nothing to edit them down atm

biggest problem - Original headunit. No RCA out.
www.nzataglance.co.nz/Stuff/DSCF0406.JPG

Wiring under the bonnet.
I decided to go up the drivers side. I dunno why, but I stuck with it.
Amp has to be on the back right, as thats as far as the 5meter power cable reaches.
Remote wire runs up drivers side.
The RCA cables run up the passenger side.
www.nzataglance.co.nz/Stuff/DSCF0400.JPG
www.nzataglance.co.nz/Stuff/DSCF0401.JPG

Two Fog Light switches?
Ive always been a fan of being able to turn amps of from up the front.
Im not keen on the idea of having an ugly switch like a lot of cars have for things.
Tried jaycar and DSE to see if they had switches like whats in there. They didnt, kinda expected tho.
Tried looking for a guide for the switch terminals. No luck. 2 minutes with a multimeter - bingo
I will remove it and paint the center. Not sure what color, or might have 'amp' on it. There are plenty of switches I could have put in that are just lie'ing around, but I wanted to do it this way.
www.nzataglance.co.nz/Stuff/DSCF0399.JPG

Im going to get the box carpeted as close as possible to the boot carpet, then im playing with the idea of putting something like black stockings over the face of the sub so if you look in it just looks like a piece of the wall.

The amp will be put right below where it is now. But im going to run it for a while and see how hot it gets. I may have to put a couple of computer fans or similar down there to keep it cool. The cables are currently a little squashed, but when the amp is moved below they will run through there own holes, they arnt like that any where else : )

Im not even going to mention the wiring job I did for the RCA / Input. Im a little worried about too much power being sucked through the headunit.

www.nzataglance.co.nz/Stuff/DSCF0396.JPG
www.nzataglance.co.nz/Stuff/DSCF0397.JPG

I got a lot of things coming up atm and cant afford a proper headunit or to replace the speakers. I figured this would be a good project as this is the only one out of the sounds that takes time. Ie, headunit change = not long.
I didnt have any intentions of buying the sub just yet (due to no money - hello credit card) Was only supposed to be borrowing the amp, so would have only been a $56 project...then sub could just be thrown straight in.

Ill upload pictures once the box is carpeted and the amp is nice and tucked away

VR4WGN
12-12-2009, 11:36 AM
this is where it goes and how it looks .......

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41624

better sititng up higher so it fills the boot propper..
mine sits in the wall of the car aswell to maximise volume aswell,

is yours a shallow mount sub i take it?

Turbo_Steve
12-12-2009, 02:27 PM
As you have a shallow mount sub, why not build a box under the oddments tray, board on top of it and mount your shallow sub through it?

Unless you have an astonishingly high expectation for power handling, and require the most astonishingly flat bass response, it works brilliantly, and you don't lose any boot space. At all.

Other than that: nice work.

The insulation on the centre core of your RCAs is liable to break down at the sort of voltages the speaker lines are running at (about 70v p-p IIRC). It'll last a while though :)

VR4WGN
13-12-2009, 12:16 AM
Like the Sub box Tray Mitsi Made for theamerican package shallow mount subs.. i have one finally lol..

KennyM
13-12-2009, 07:44 AM
yeah it is a shallow mount sub.
I thought about making the box deeper, but as ive still got the original headunit, theres still the cd stacker behind it. I did wonder if the sub right in front of the cd stacker was such a good idea. Havnt had any problems yet tho.

jackerthanjack
30-12-2009, 05:48 PM
er any pics at all hmmmm