PDA

View Full Version : Boost control - Relief valve

ako
14-12-2009, 06:27 AM
Long time, no see here haha. I've been VR4-less for a couple of years, went through a couple of GTB / B4 subarus, now have a 95 VR4 hatch to play with, and an 03 Airtrek Turbo to be sensible and reliable with. And still run low 14's in haha.

Anyways, I'm using a boost controller on the VR4 I'm sure you will find useful, it cost me $50 and works far better than any electronic one I've seen, short of an AVC-R... Which costs about 12 times more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QefttmTFJYU - Note this is essentially a stock car, factory exhaust and intake, 5sp manual.

It's a norgren relief valve, normally used to stop air compressors etc from over - pressurising. Theory is it only lets boost through at the pressure I want, and if pressure drops below that point (as per stock VR4) it closes again until pressure goes back up.... repeat X lots haha

Can't recommend this thing highly enough!

Ryan
14-12-2009, 06:55 AM
The results certainly are impressive.

ako
14-12-2009, 07:51 AM
Bear in mind that the 7g behaves exactly like the 8g does, boost normally spikes up to 4-5psi more than the final amount it holds from 6k onwards.

I've used the MS-IBC and profec B controllers before and both failed miserably, hours of setup and they go and get trounced by a plumbing fitting :p

Ryan
14-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Bear in mind that the 7g behaves exactly like the 8g does, boost normally spikes up to 4-5psi more than the final amount it holds from 6k onwards.

Forgive my skepticism but I fail to see how what is essentially only an improved MBC (manual/mechnical boost controller), can give provide the claimed increase in performance stated here?

I'm not having a go at you - I'm very much a doubting Thomas when it comes to these sort of things. Do you have pictures of the device itself or a link to the manufacturer's website?

Adam.Findlay
14-12-2009, 09:58 AM
I have the regular IBC, if you reccomend this relif valve above the ibc where can i get one so i can make a bit of money by sellling the ibc

ako
14-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Forgive my skepticism but I fail to see how what is essentially only an improved MBC (manual/mechnical boost controller), can give provide the claimed increase in performance stated here?

I'm not having a go at you - I'm very much a doubting Thomas when it comes to these sort of things. Do you have pictures of the device itself or a link to the manufacturer's website?

Yep, I'll take a photo of it after work.

It's made by "Norgren", who make pneumatic fittings. Any shop which sells air compressors / stuff along those lines should stock them.

The reason this works as it does is as I described, it's a simple valve which opens above a pre-set pressure, and closes when it is below it. Hence on a TT VR4 or GTO with boost that falls away up top, it's damn near perfect. If boost falls below the pressure you want, the valve closes off air supply to the wastegates - making boost rise again to the desired pressure.

With the valve in the cabin you can hear it clicking away reasonably quickly when you're nailing it as it closes and relieves. As I said, I've tried a few different EBC's all gave results that were... Average, AVCR being the only exception and why pay $700 for something you can do yourself for $50?

I'll try to get a video tonight of the car with just a normal bleed valve in place instead.

Turbo_Steve
14-12-2009, 08:29 PM
As Ryan says, it's a ball-and-spring check-valve. I love them: simple and effective.

Levi
17-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Looks impressive, just what I like, simple and effective!

I assume this is installed in place of the factory solenoid?

Any chance of a part number for the norgren valve?

The company I work for use Festo for pneumatic parts, but the man there says if I get him a Norgren part number he will be able to find the Festo equivalent for me, and if I order it through the company I get a discount too :d

pbaron
17-12-2009, 07:16 PM
I got all keen after reading this thread when it was first posted and went searching part numbers etc.

I came across an excellent article (http://autospeed.co.nz/A_111348/cms/article.html)that covers the installation and use of what looks like the relief valve mentioned in combination with the a regulator valve. This combo allows boost to build quickly and then maintain this as much as the vehicle is capable of.

Part numbers are in the article (http://autospeed.co.nz/A_111348/cms/article.html), I got in touch with the local Norgren distributor and ordered one of each valve and the replacement lower pressure springs. I picked them up a couple of days ago for a total of $142 with fittings. From memory the Regulator valve was $45ish, the Relief valve was $65ish and the springs ~ $5 each, the remainder was for fittings etc.

I have not got around to fitting them yet, typical impulse buy, they are sitting on my desk next to the MBC I purchased a month ago that came without fitting instructions and so I have also not got around to fitting.

Cheers
Pierre

Looks impressive, just what I like, simple and effective!

I assume this is installed in place of the factory solenoid?

Any chance of a part number for the norgren valve?

The company I work for use Festo for pneumatic parts, but the man there says if I get him a Norgren part number he will be able to find the Festo equivalent for me, and if I order it through the company I get a discount too :d

Davezj
17-12-2009, 10:02 PM
yeh seen that article before it's a 2 or 3 parter. Very well explained and documented. but it seem to do the same job as a ball and spring MBC but it is probably better quality than the really cheap ball and spring MBC.