PDA

View Full Version : comments please before i buy wheels

Stevie B
11-07-2004, 06:36 PM
Been checking on internet and getting confused over the technical bits and bobs involved in buying the correct wheels. Went into local car shop to ask additional advise and he recomended a set of TSW's with 205x45x17 yokohama tyres to go on my gallant 2.5 V6 sport.

Are these any good, before i purchase. cost approx £600.00 all in

Thanks for any help.

regards

stevie b

Spirit
11-07-2004, 07:29 PM
Good wheels, good tyres and a good price.....but do look around first as there are loads of deals on alloys all the time ;)

Stevie B
11-07-2004, 09:53 PM
Cheers for the reply :)

Does anyone know where to get a good deal on wheels and tyres?

Looking in this catalogue I see 17x7 / 17x7.5 what is used on the 2.5 v6 sport ??

I know the tyres are 215x45xZR17 but the chap in the shop said that according to his book the tyres shoud be 205x45x17 ! what should it shoud be ???

Do not really want to spend more than £600 on them (skin flint I know but I am also looking to do the suspension and put a spoiler on) I am in a bit of a hurry as I got a puncture NSF on Friday so I am using the spare.

I am using the original sport wheels which are a bit scuffed and all tyres are due to be replaced so now is as good a time as any to replace the lot.

I believe it is best to stay with 17's from reading round the site but does anyone have any ideas on styles that look good :)

I have been offered TSW Spyder (7x17) wheels at the moment (the wifes choice - although they do look nice in the picture)

Cheers again for any help

Stevie B

Big Ian
11-07-2004, 10:52 PM
ive got 17"x7.5" wolfrace alloy's and i'm running on 225x45x17..i think you'll see that this is the most favord size with most on this site..no rubbing and mine's is lowerd 35mm :D

ritch_w
12-07-2004, 09:46 AM
Cheers for the reply :)

Does anyone know where to get a good deal on wheels and tyres?

Looking in this catalogue I see 17x7 / 17x7.5 what is used on the 2.5 v6 sport ??

I know the tyres are 215x45xZR17 but the chap in the shop said that according to his book the tyres shoud be 205x45x17 ! what should it shoud be ???

Do not really want to spend more than £600 on them (skin flint I know but I am also looking to do the suspension and put a spoiler on) I am in a bit of a hurry as I got a puncture NSF on Friday so I am using the spare.

I am using the original sport wheels which are a bit scuffed and all tyres are due to be replaced so now is as good a time as any to replace the lot.

I believe it is best to stay with 17's from reading round the site but does anyone have any ideas on styles that look good :)

I have been offered TSW Spyder (7x17) wheels at the moment (the wifes choice - although they do look nice in the picture)

Cheers again for any help

Stevie B

standard sizes on the 2002 v6 sport is 7.5x17" rims with 215/45/17 tyres
:D

Stevie B
12-07-2004, 12:20 PM
Cheers Ritch

Once I get the wheels sorted I will get back to you about the spoiler

Stevie B

Nick Mann
12-07-2004, 01:30 PM
There is a good tyre size calculator that has been posted before.

Tyre Size Calculator (http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html)

205/45/17 will read 1.4% higher than you are actually travelling.
205/50/17 will read 1.8% lower than you are actually travelling.

Given the enormous wheel arches we have, I would want a larger circumference than normal to try and fill it. Therefore I would tell the local car shop that I wanted the next tyre size up. (Either wider of higher profile.) Having said that, you must be aware that you will be travelling faster than you think!

Good luck in your search - post up what you get!

Stevie B
12-07-2004, 07:33 PM
Cheers Nick

Will let you know

S :-D