PDA

View Full Version : ARC Titanium backbox

crazydriver81
15-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Hi folks!

Thought I'd share my newest purchase with you. I've bought an ARC titanium back box from ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230407326448&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT) for my ST-R.

The back box is partially worn, but a friend of mine is able to TiG weld the back box. I have paid 128 USD or 90 EUR or 82 GBP including shipment. /bananaroc

Just going to source some Ti pipes now, so the plan is to have a Titanium cat-back exhaust system then with 3" diameter (to be prepared for an engine swap later...) on my ST-R. :3d: :3d: :3d:

Dom B
15-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Interesting seeing titanium bits. It is so difficult to weld sucessfully, it's like trying to weld magnesium, it glows white hot for a long time after you stop welding and if you stop the gas at any point whilst cooling the weld oxidises. very tricky. Because it is so difficult to weld most people over build the muffler out of thicker than necessary metal making it heavier than it should be which makes it a bit of a gimmick. Still nice bit of engineering to see made though. It says weight 3.8kg which seems pretty heavy for a good muffler. I recently built one out of 304 and 316 stainless and it is over a kg lighter. I'd love to see an ally back box, that could be really light but would only last 1 winter lol.

swinks
15-12-2009, 01:11 PM
I was about to say exactly the same. Welding titanium... you must have very, very skilled friend.
Let us know about progress.
That hole on pipe bend seems to be PITA. Easy to overheat.

crazydriver81
15-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Yeah, my mate is working for a company dealing with titanium parts every day and he is welding them together ;) So I am not afraid that it might not work.

My only concern is the mid pipe section made from titanium (the cost of raw material)... We will see. ;) I'll keep you updated

Dom B
15-12-2009, 04:29 PM
To be honest titanium as a raw material is not hugely expensive, we machine it now and then and use sawn billets. The cost is in how hard it is to work etc. You will have fun sawing it easily. Top quality bimetal blade in a bandsaw is your best bet. We have enough trouble sawing the 3" stainless 304 pipe. the ti will be hard on the blade. The secret is that there are many types of titanium and some are surprisingly soft. get an easy to work type and you should be home safe and dry.

Ryan
15-12-2009, 06:52 PM
And to think that the Soviets built entire submarines with Ti alloys...

Dom B
15-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Military stuff is usually cost no object. Blackbird was made entirely from titanium including all the formers which start off life as heavy forging. They had to develop their own hot forging process to do this before making the aircraft. Some great vids on youtube showing them forging and machining the ti.

PS i deal with some russian materials on a regular basis here, usually copper but just as an example their standards are not the same as everybody elses. Quality is not the greatest.

Ryan
15-12-2009, 07:19 PM
Military stuff is usually cost no object. Blackbird was made entirely from titanium...

Which, somewhat ironically, was supplied by the USSR. :laugh:

Beastlee
15-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Yeah, my mate is working for a company dealing with titanium parts every day and he is welding them together ;) So I am not afraid that it might not work.

My only concern is the mid pipe section made from titanium (the cost of raw material)... We will see. ;) I'll keep you updated

And a good friend of mine claims to have access to large quantities of titanium pipe and off-cuts. I will have a word with him for you.

crazydriver81
16-12-2009, 01:03 AM
And a good friend of mine claims to have access to large quantities of titanium pipe and off-cuts. I will have a word with him for you.

Thanks Lee. Maybe you can ask him for some Ti weld wire too??? /thankyou /thankyou

funkstardelux
16-12-2009, 08:28 PM
nice exhaust

Beastlee
26-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Stefan,
Haven't seen my friend recently but I'll be seeing him on New Year's Eve and will make sure to ask him.

crazydriver81
26-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Thank you Lee...errr...and merry X-mas dude! ;)

Beastlee
06-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Stefan, I forgot to update this tfor you. I asked my friend about it but it seems he can't get any more. I'm very upset as I wanted some to make parts on my car too.

crazydriver81
09-06-2010, 09:24 AM
UPDATE!

The back box is installed since yesterday. We found, that the muffler must have been under a car which was rear ended. One of the hangers was bent so we had to bend it back.

I didn't had the chance to drive the car yesterday, because we currently installing the Brembo setup. So no front wheel bearings etc. Hope to finish everything today, so that I can go for a test drive.

The only thing I did was fire the engine up and give it some revs. Nide, deep sound, but not annoyingly loud...

I will post pics later or tomorrow...

crazydriver81
10-06-2010, 11:13 AM
And here is the next update. Finally the ARC Titanium back box is installed. ;)

We had to fabricate a new joint for the center section of the exhaust to fit it properly. Additionally I had to cut the rear bumper and fit a VR-4 tailpipe plastic surround. I was wondering why the back box had no Jasma badge...now I know.

Cruisin with the car gives a nice deep but not annoying sound, but if you give the car the beans...:rolleyes3

Here is the result: