PDA

View Full Version : Shudder while in D, standstill and foot on brake

MarkSanne
18-12-2009, 09:48 AM
After reading this topic http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45001 I wanted to post a somewhat similar problem with my Legnum VR4 auto in a seperate topic.

What I have is that while I'm standing still, the gearbox in D and the foot on the brake, the gearbox seems te shudder/vibrate quite noticeably. When I put the gearbox in N most of the vibration is gone. It's been like this for a month or so now.

The geaxbox fluids are replaced a few (5 or 6?) months back with Amsoil ATF, it was just over 10 litres we swapped.

Any ideas where I should be looking for?

peter thomson
18-12-2009, 09:54 AM
I would have a look at the engine mounts first Mark

bradc
18-12-2009, 06:26 PM
What is your idle speed?

aboo
18-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Could it not be the engine/gearbox crossmember? I had something similar when Peter fixed my tc seal. I took it off straightened it out & that fixed the problem.

Davezj
18-12-2009, 07:00 PM
have you changed you engine mounts to poly ones mark as i think i remeber you were thinking of doing it.

i have just changed mine and i am now getting a slight vibration at idle, but this is just the normal idle vibration that is being transmitted though the very hard poly mount.
it is no big issue just something to live with. i might even have to raise the idle slightly on my car, as it is only around 550 on the rev counter when in D so that may well be the reason for the slight vibration.

MarkSanne
18-12-2009, 07:51 PM
@bradc: idle speed... er... sorry Brad, I don't understand. I'm standing still let's say before a red light. Or is it the speedometer you mean? Which is 0. RPM's are between 600-800 rpm depening on warm/cold engine.

@aboo: engine/gearbox crossmember? Not sure what this is (should've been born in an english speaking country or have some serious mechanic skills ;)). Any pics with arrows perhaps?

@others: engine mounts are originals, nothing done to them as of 1998 and 125000kms. Not planning on doing poly ones, if they need to be replaced I'll get a set of new orginals.

aboo
18-12-2009, 08:28 PM
The engine/gearbox crossmember is right in the centre of the engine when you look under the car.

Dont have any pics sorry but you cant miss it.

If you have you have ever jacked the car up useing a trolly jack at the front you will have used it to put the jack on.

MarkSanne
18-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Ah!!! I know what you mean now. Interesting... I might have hit that part a while ago. I'll have a look at it this weekend. Thanks aboo!

aboo
18-12-2009, 08:38 PM
No probs hope it is this as its an easy fix. Take it of put it on 2 blocks and hit it with a hammer till its back to it original shape then refit it.

Got that tip from Peter.

peter thomson
18-12-2009, 08:46 PM
No probs hope it is this as its an easy fix. Take it of put it on 2 blocks and hit it with a hammer till its back to it original shape then refit it.

Got that tip from Peter.

Yes worked great for me

MarkSanne
19-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Just took out the crossmember.
Looks perfectly good on the engine side actually. Doesn't seem to touch anything. But then....

This rubber mount doesn't look right. AT ALL!?
uploaded/1887/1261229171.jpg

That centerpiece should not be a loose component...
uploaded/1887/1261229209.jpg

uploaded/1887/1261229255.jpg

Looks like this is (part?) of the troubles with the vibration!

peter thomson
19-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Yes that will be upsetting it a bit Mark

MarkSanne
19-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Alrighty, done a bit of A-Team/McGuyver duct-tape fixing and a bit of cutting around the gearbox-bolthead-cutouts as two bolts made direct contact with the crossmember.

Must say that it feels like it helped quite a bit, but the new engine mount is ordered and will go under asap!

Thanks for the help guys!

Davezj
19-12-2009, 04:56 PM
i think most people with PFL car will find the front roll stopper is in that state.

it just depends if it vibrates against the the gear box or not as to weather it is noticed.

MarkSanne
19-12-2009, 05:07 PM
Was anything changed in the FL for this front roll stopper then? Or is it just age-related?

aboo
19-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Looks like an easy enough fix then Mark.

peter thomson
19-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Was anything changed in the FL for this front roll stopper then? Or is it just age-related?

No my preface and Keith's facelift are both the same

Davezj
19-12-2009, 05:38 PM
just age i think, i have just put a direct replacement poly bushing on to replace my original as it was in worse state than yours, the centre rubber bit was not connected to the out shell at all. the rear one had collapsed and the engine and gear box ones had stated splitting, but the oil had not come out of those yet.

i would get the rear, engine and gearbox mounts checked out and replaced if necessary, as the front one failing would have put a lot more pressure on the back one for as long as the front has been damaged. the vibration might have been caused by the rear one failing, not the front. if you get my drift. the rear one could have been supporting the front one for many months now.

MarkSanne
19-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Indeed Dave, I understand what you mean. I checked the rear and right engine mounts and they both looked en felt fine. However a visual and only partial 'feel' check won't tell the whole truth, so def. gonna get the simple ones out to see how those really are. Thanks for the advise!