PDA

View Full Version : 2.4 GDI Performances?

VR4WGN
19-12-2009, 06:27 PM
just want to ask this now for future reference...

2.4 GDI Engine,are they any good for sooping up for an N/A Engine or not?
if so what can we do?
will we need to get rid of the GDI unit or cant we?
and 3" too big for exhaust ? with 2" exhaust manifold ?

is there anyhting e can take from another Mitsi Engine to make these well performing engines or is this the end of the line for these?

obviously i would like to build it Reliable lol,and maby get rid of the fly by wire tho!!!

but in making these manual aswell how would you work around the auto throttle?(electronic)
~Q~

Nutter_John
19-12-2009, 07:38 PM
take the head off and put a 4g63T head on

swap the rods and pistons for some forged ones

add a BFO turbo

turn boost to 2.0 bar and spin the plannet with the fwd

bradc
19-12-2009, 09:26 PM
I agree with John. It makes sense to put the 4G63T head on as you get rid of the GDI stuff and can go to an EVO ECU. Then you can pop a TD05 on and see how it goes.

VR4WGN
19-12-2009, 10:50 PM
ehehhehe really?? give me a shopping list of exactly what i need and we can do it then??
im very keen to do modded engines lately lol,,and the sound of a TDo5 on a 2.4 sounds yum,pity itll be FWD but ill be spinning up when gearing down on the highway to avertake lol..

bradc
19-12-2009, 10:59 PM
http://forums.evolutionm.net/lancer-engine-tech/443875-darkmitsus-4g64-swap-page.html

It isn't 100% what you need but it should give you a good idea to start with. If you look around on the evom forums you will find plenty of info about putting 4g64's into EVO's as well.

Nutter_John
20-12-2009, 09:26 AM
ehehhehe really?? give me a shopping list of exactly what i need and we can do it then??
im very keen to do modded engines lately lol,,and the sound of a TDo5 on a 2.4 sounds yum,pity itll be FWD but ill be spinning up when gearing down on the highway to avertake lol..

You really know feck all about cars don't ya :whistle:

why whould you put on a TD05 which an evo has as stock to a 2.4 litre engine . /wall

Turbo_Steve
20-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Cos it'd spool for tuppence? :D :D

BUt yeah, John is on the money, a TD05 would need a turbine clip, and ideally a larger compressor. Which means you might has well fit an 18G or a 20G. Which means you might as well start looking at TD06-18G or 20Gs?

The only reason I can see for staying TD05 is the exhaust manifold, and if you're going to the amount of work you are, buying a large manifold for a big-turbo conversion for an evo isn't going to bust the bank.

Finally, if you're forging and re-heading, I'd look at going for a pre-finished head designed for a stroker kit. Something with wilder cams and bigger ports.

In fact, by the time you've done all that, it might be easier to buy a crated 4G63T and just drop it in. Making mounts is a lot easier than building engines.

VR4WGN
20-12-2009, 06:49 PM
the mounts wouldnt be too far off i dont think to be honest,the housings however can be removed and replaced,and yes Steve i was just thinking that yesterday aswell...

bradc
20-12-2009, 07:22 PM
I don't get what you mean John? A TD05 on a 2.4L engine would have immense low down torque, overall it would be like a VR-4 to drive, coming on boost quite early and being great from 3000rpm to 6500rpm or so. The 2.4's don't like to rev due to the 100mm stroke so 6500rpm is further than you would want to go anyway.

Anyway do you really want a huge laggy turbo in a FWD car?

Nutter_John
20-12-2009, 10:20 PM
The issue with using a td05 on a 2.4 / 2.6 4g64/4g63t hybrid is that you will flow far too much gases unlss you clip the turbine if not you will end up having to cut the revs to stay around 6000 rpm .So a bigger td06 or gt30 /35 would be the turbo of choice , very little extra lag on a 2.6 but this is comparing against a td05 not a small useless td03

You would rev it to around 7500 rpm as that is quite safe beyond that and you will stress things , a 2.6 4g64 block and all the head an stuff should give you over 500 bhp with ease and be very street able

4g63's do not make that much torque unless your flowing lots of gases

Brad there is lot more to it than just stroke as the overal rod lenght / rod ratio comes into play

wintertidenz
20-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Brad - shall we look at this on my mum's car? It has a 4g64... ;)

Nutter_John
20-12-2009, 11:18 PM
buy her a BC stroker kit , she will love you for ever :D

bradc
21-12-2009, 06:54 AM
That is the whole point of wastegate and effective boost control though isn't it?

Knowing Quinton I know that he won't want to go to the huge expense of forged everything and big turbos. It will need to be done reasonably cheaply and in NZ finding a cheap evo manifold + turbo + downpipe won't be that hard.

Turbo_Steve
21-12-2009, 08:10 AM
On a 2.4 (or 2.6) the TD05-16G will be running very hot. In fact, it will probably be "on boost" a lot of the time. So you're building a very thirsty (think VR4!) car.

As above, it might just be easier to drop a complete Evo lump in there.

VR4WGN
28-12-2009, 05:35 AM
hmmmmmm

Johny
28-12-2009, 06:41 AM
but waht about non turbo performance upgrades would it be benificial at all to put a normal 4g63 or 4g63 mivec head on it?

VR4WGN
29-12-2009, 06:29 AM
dont see why not!! im still keen to soop up a viento engine.. unfortunatly i have now found my engine i wanted and hope to to get it next week,so im excited

Johny
29-12-2009, 06:50 AM
then again upon searching through trademe its probably easier to do everything said in this thread than find a 4g63 head that didnt come off an evo or a 6g vr4

Turbo_Steve
29-12-2009, 10:03 AM
What you need to ask yourself is: if it was easy to make a "Performance" 2.4GDI....why didn't they?

GDI technology works in a specific way (lean burn, high compression) so you're making a fundamental change to the way the engine operates.

4g63 Head is going to be setup for a 2.0L engine...it MIGHT flow more than the standard head...but it might not. And it's likely to change the compression ratio. It's also possible that you may get a valve > piston meeting. Unlikely, but possible.

If you're serious about this, you should look at buying a scrap engine and trial fitting some bits. However, I suspect that your best bet for performance is simply a bolt-on turbo kit. A T27 sized Garret, or TD05 on the standard engine would be responsive and probably run reasonably cool at 0.6-0.8Bar (which is what you would be aiming for, absoloute max). Then it's 'just' ECU and Fuelling.

Rambaud
29-12-2009, 10:47 AM
A complete waste of time & money, IMHO.

Unless it's meant to be some sort of "project".

Turbo_Steve
29-12-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm assuming it's to be "The First company with a 200bhp GDI" or similar, rather than to be a worthwhile financial proposition.

Build something nobody else has built, get it featured in a magazine, watch customers roll up wanting double bhp for milk-money and see how much you can sell them. Standard business practice in the modified car world.

[/cynical]

VR4WGN
29-12-2009, 07:41 PM
that is true Steve... but like mentioned some want it for personal not sale points of view. however i will not be doing anyhting to mine as i have got a 2ltr Mivev FTO engine Finally after waiting a few months so i think a Mivec Legnum will be Cheaper and economical to run along with the performance aswell on the economical side that is it wont be hungry on gas..