PDA

View Full Version : Remote turn on lead

johny105
20-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Hi, i'm going to put a sub and amp in my galant.
What i would like to know is, Is there a place in the boot i.e ariel that i can take a remote turn on for the amp. obviousley i want it to work with more than the radio so the ariel is out. but is there anywhere else?
i'm just being lazy tbh because i have to run the phono's and B+ wire in.
i was going to start now but were losing light and its snowing :d

Where is the common place to earth also.

cheers johny

Turbo_Steve
20-12-2009, 05:03 PM
You can earth to just about anywhere. Mine is currently (temporarily) on the retaining bolt for the spare wheel.

If you have an aftermarket head unit, it will have dedicated output for switching the aerial and and usually another for the amp.

If not, you could just wire the remote-power feed to the "Ignition live" on the head unit. The amp will come on when you turn the key.
It's not ideal, and you're likely to get a "thump" when you turn the headunit on and off...so just leave it on and turn the volume down.

WizardKing
20-12-2009, 05:07 PM
Run a wire, especially seeing as you have to anyway.

For earthing, the nearest screw or bolt that goes into metal. Just look carefully first, lots screw into nylon inserts.

Don't forget to install fuses (at or near power tap-point), safety 1st. !!
[I can't believe I said that. . . ]

EDIT ;
Beat me to it, Steve. I wondered why you hadn't already replied !

johny105
20-12-2009, 05:18 PM
well i've just stripped the wiring out of the other car ready to fit so all is fused and safe.
just need to wait for tomorrow + for the snow to ease off.

i knew this would be the answer deep down t'was me being lazy lol

cheers

johny

wintertidenz
20-12-2009, 10:19 PM
To avoid the thump you could get tricky and wire a fused relay into the ignition line with a 2-3 second delay and going to the remote turn on lead (the remote needs to be fused at 500ma anyway).

Think you would just need a capacitor on the relay line out to the remote wire to do it but can't confirm that yet.

Turbo_Steve
21-12-2009, 12:13 AM
nah, you'd put the cap on the relay line, not the amp line. You'd also use a second relay that ISN'T delayed to disconnect the whole lot when the power goes off, preventing the amp from being active when the whole lot turns off.

Turbo_Steve
21-12-2009, 12:16 AM
Think you want the cap inline with the relay coil, to prevent it energising too early.

It'll still thump if you turn the headunit on after the delay.

What you COULD do is wire the relay in line with the headunit's switched powersupply: so no current flows to energise the relay when the headunit is off. When it's on, it flows through the relay, though the headunit. Most amps have a delayed switchon anyway...so that will probably do the job.

wintertidenz
21-12-2009, 12:29 AM
Steve - that's exactly what I meant... didn't have my coffee before I wrote it :D thanks for clarifying!

So have the relay powered on with the ignition, with the cap in the line before the relay... so it has a delay while it charges the cap. Then it powers up and puts current down the remote turn-on wire.

As you said though, you might get a thump when you turn on the headunit... and maybe when you turn the car off.

As for the earth, I find that putting the earth under a seat bolt is usually a good bet.

johny105
23-12-2009, 01:30 PM
the HU has a remote turn on lead, surley i could just use that ?its what i've done in the past:sigh:
i was just trying to be lazy and wire it in .

johny

Turbo_Steve
23-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Yah, we were working on the basis that it didn't have that lead. As it does...use it! :D

johny105
24-12-2009, 09:20 PM
sorry for misleading you lads . my fault . as i said it was me being a lazy begger.

johny