PDA

View Full Version : switch under seat

SG1969
12-07-2004, 03:56 PM
hi all does anybody know what the little on/off switch under the passenger seat on my vr4 estate is for ,my dealer thinks it is to turn the pass airbag off
cheers
steven

Nick Mann
12-07-2004, 06:58 PM
No idea? Can you post a piccy? The only thing I've ever noticed there is cd changers!

Oh, and welcome to the club! :-D

richibass
12-07-2004, 08:47 PM
hi all does anybody know what the little on/off switch under the passenger seat on my vr4 estate is for ,my dealer thinks it is to turn the pass airbag off
cheers
steven

if it does turn out to be a switch for he airbag could you let me know, I've been wondering how to do this, so far the only suggestions have been to drop the glove box and unplug it!

Cheers

richibass

Japmetal
12-07-2004, 10:50 PM
if it does turn out to be a switch for he airbag could you let me know, I've been wondering how to do this, so far the only suggestions have been to drop the glove box and unplug it!

I wouldnt do that if I was you; you'll send the Airbag ECU on a serious wobbly if you unplug it without deactivating the system :lipsrseal

Deactivating airbags should be something your local dealer [or possibly a local garage] can do, but SHOULD NOT be attempted by anyone without the proper training/eequipment.

Brind
12-07-2004, 10:56 PM
Why would you want to deactivate an airbag, it would be aptly named a kill switch if you used it with the intent of ejecting a passenger through the window. :)

Do you have electric seats? heated, motorised adjustment etc.

Japmetal
12-07-2004, 11:03 PM
You should always deactivate the passenger airbag when using a rear-facing child seat in the front ! As far as VW goes, it's a relativey simple process to deactivate the airbag temporarily [reset the sytem without it, then physically disconnect the plug & leave it in situ] To be re-activated at a later date [presumably when child seats are no longer necessary !]

All new VWs now come with a dash-mounted switch, so you can on or off the thing to your heart's content, and I believe most car manufacturers are going this way [if they havent already !]

Brind
12-07-2004, 11:05 PM
Oh.. makes alot of sense!

-LegnumVR4-
13-07-2004, 06:07 AM
Did the car come with an alarm when u got it? Could be the kill switch.

SG1969
14-07-2004, 05:12 PM
thanks guys,no the car has no alarm so i it is difficult to find out what it is for
cheers
steven

ritch_w
14-07-2004, 06:32 PM
thanks guys,no the car has no alarm so i it is difficult to find out what it is for
cheers
steven

daft question - but what happens if the switch it the other way????

can u post a pic??

Brind
14-07-2004, 08:37 PM
daft question - but what happens if the switch it the other way????

It'll probably eject him out through the roof!!!!!

Louis
14-07-2004, 11:45 PM
Hi there,
I have a Mitsubishi Galant / Legnum handbook for 1996 - 2002, that I got from ebay, and in the SRS section (supplemental restraint system) it states " airbags can not be turned off.

Big Ian
15-07-2004, 01:05 AM
cheers
steven

?no alarm!! i thought all mitsy galant's/legnum/VR4'z had a cobra fitted as standard..or is this only on the UK market car's?
maybe the switch has been fitted in line with an imobilizer or a fuel cut off,for when it's parked up.

Spirit
15-07-2004, 07:21 AM
?no alarm!! i thought all mitsy galant's/legnum/VR4'z had a cobra fitted as standard..or is this only on the UK market car's?
maybe the switch has been fitted in line with an imobilizer or a fuel cut off,for when it's parked up.

Reckon thats just the UK market Ian, the guy who imported mine had to fork out extra for a Sigma to be fitted (and a tracker :-D )

Nick Mann
15-07-2004, 09:36 AM
Yep. UK only. Dealer fitted re-badged cobra alarms.

SG1969
16-07-2004, 11:50 AM
thanks again guys switch does nothing i just want to know for curiosity

sprocket
16-07-2004, 11:55 PM
i also have a switch that seems to do nothing it i situated under steering wheel on the left side. it appears that it doesnt do nowt.my car a jap legum came in with i beleive a cobra imobiliser fitted as standard ( according to the guy that fitted my cat 1 alongside it) :rolleyes5 :rolleyes5 :rolleyes5

mattpage
16-01-2007, 09:52 PM
I've found this switch on my Legnum recently.. any ideas what its for?

Just a switch under the passenger seat, with 'off' written on one side.

Nick Mann
16-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Still no idea. Can you photograph it?

sanct
16-01-2007, 10:17 PM
who keeps turning off my garage lights?

Kieran
16-01-2007, 10:26 PM
I've found this switch on my Legnum recently.. any ideas what its for?

Just a switch under the passenger seat, with 'off' written on one side.

Piccy I think! Your car doesn't have side air bags does it?:inquisiti

Wodjno
16-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Have you tried just tracing the wire back to source :inquisiti

Axeboy
16-01-2007, 11:44 PM
COuld it be to stop the auto-dimming headlights>?

mattpage
17-01-2007, 12:07 AM
I'll take a picture tommorow if I get a chance.. but I wont have daylight to take a decent photo until the weekend.

Throbbe
17-01-2007, 10:06 AM
who keeps turning off my garage lights?

Post of the week! :2thumbsup

mattpage
18-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Right ok, here is a very dodgy picture.
Its under the passener seat, on the side nearest the centre.

Wodjno
18-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Right ok, here is a very dodgy picture.
Its under the passener seat, on the side nearest the centre.

So is it just danling around loose or is it attached ??
Have tried to trace the wires back to the source :inquisiti

Nick VR4
18-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Hmmm that looks like a DIY thing maybe a immobiliser :speechles:speechlesor a cut off switch :speechles

mattpage
18-01-2007, 09:48 PM
I asked the previous owner, who had an aftermarket alarm fitted, and he didnt know what it was either.
It's attached, but the cable goes under the carpet, so I'm not going to pull it up to trace it.

Kieran
18-01-2007, 09:52 PM
I asked the previous owner, who had an aftermarket alarm fitted, and he didnt know what it was either.
It's attached, but the cable goes under the carpet, so I'm not going to pull it up to trace it.

How many wires go to the switch? What colour are they?

I'd be pulling the interior out as soon as I saw that switch!!! It could be a Ninja secret Jap device that makes the car produce about 93,000,000 Bhp or some really cool egg fried rice ordering beacon.... Or something!?!

It'd drive me bonkers knowing I've a mystery to solve!!:inquisiti

ritch_w
18-01-2007, 10:16 PM
thats the self destruct button :)

Wodjno
18-01-2007, 10:48 PM
How many wires go to the switch? What colour are they?

I'd be pulling the interior out as soon as I saw that switch!!! It could be a Ninja secret Jap device that makes the car produce about 93,000,000 Bhp or some really cool egg fried rice ordering beacon.... Or something!?!

It'd drive me bonkers knowing I've a mystery to solve!!:inquisiti

Yep :2thumbsup

Much the same thoughts as Kieran :happy:

If i had the switch, i would have to find out where the wires went to.. :inquisiti
And as you seem to be the 1 that has the switch ... Go get your hands dirty and find out where it go's to :2thumbsup

Come on :pimp2: We need input :scholar: Something else to keep Physician busy in the Library :evilgrin:

mattpage
18-01-2007, 11:13 PM
If I have time on the weekend I will investigate further! :)

Kieran
18-01-2007, 11:50 PM

Thankyou! /toycar

Wodjno
19-01-2007, 02:07 AM

:2thumbsup
/applaude

You'll well on your way to gaining some REP points :scholar:

mattpage
21-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Well I've made a bit of progress!!

I took the panel out from the passenger side of the centre console, and found where the wires attach.

From there it joins a big block of cabling and gave up with trying to find out where it went. But maybe someone on here will know?

I hope the pictures are clear. Sorry for the dodgy photoshop red lines :D

Kieran
21-01-2007, 10:57 PM
Does your car have MMCS at all (the touchscreen thingy)? If it does.... I'm wondering if that's a mod to zap the speed detection so that one can view TV whilst on the move.... Or I wonder.... along the same lines, I wonder if it's a crude speed limit remover?

mattpage
21-01-2007, 11:16 PM
No, just the climate control.
As for the speed limiter, I guess I will have to test that out sometime.. on my private race track of course.

Kieran
22-01-2007, 12:42 AM
Well, having had another look, the wires from the back of the switch look like blue with a red stripe and blue with black - The mitsu colour scheme for ACC On +ve and -ve feed.... On the assumption that whoever installed it stuck to those codes, it does look to be adding or subtracting power to something, rather than switching a 'signal' if that makes sense... But it's really impossible to say without unwrapping that insulation tape where the join is and looking further.

Thing is, that loom that it appears to be spliced into... I can't make out if that's the one that feeds to the radio/climate, or if it's the one to the ECUs (which you can see in the last picture)....:thinking:

The Vee
22-01-2007, 09:57 AM
Not by any chance up to the fuel pump relay?

mattpage
30-01-2007, 08:41 PM
No, just the climate control.
As for the speed limiter, I guess I will have to test that out sometime.. on my private race track of course.

Well I've found out that the switch does not remove the limiter.
So that means I now have something else to sort out.

Can anyone recommend something to remove the speed limit?
I've found the HKS SLD and Apexi RSM. Any other options?

Kenneth
30-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Well I've found out that the switch does not remove the limiter.
So that means I now have something else to sort out.

Can anyone recommend something to remove the speed limit?
I've found the HKS SLD and Apexi RSM. Any other options?

a pair of side cutters will do the trick. there is a wiring diagram in the articles or in the library.... cant remember which so you will have to search.

Anyway, you just cut the "Speed Sensor" wire where it goes into the ECU. Works a treat.

I heard somewhere that the Japs liked to make it very easy to remove the speed limiters (which are compulsory by law)

mattpage
30-01-2007, 09:23 PM
So cutting the wire will not interfere with anything else at all?
I've already asked this question on the article thread.. whoops.

Kenneth
30-01-2007, 09:37 PM
So cutting the wire will not interfere with anything else at all?
I've already asked this question on the article thread.. whoops.

Didn't for me... though in saying that, I did do it in a Manual VR-4.
with a bit of boost, it went off the clock very very quickly /rally :pimp2: