PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 Gls

kansai
12-07-2004, 04:08 PM
i thinking to buy a Galant 2.0 GLS(possibly 2.4 GDi depending if is rare) is there many tuning parts for it? i know there lots for the VR4, but that insurance costs way too much i gather. speakeing of insurance, what is insurance like for the 2.0 GLS, im 22 now, 0 ncb as i been a named driver but wanna start my own insurance.

feedback appreciated

thanks

I-S
12-07-2004, 04:35 PM
Hi there.

I was 21 with no ncb when I bought my 2.0 GLS last year.

Insurance... check it before you buy. I got £917 fully comp for my first year, but that was at my parent's place on a category A postcode. My second year, with 1yr NCB and IAM certificate has cost me £1480 as I've moved to a category F area.

Parts... there's more parts than there might first appear for the 2.0 GLS. Engine mods are no problem, as there's any number of parts for the venerable 4G63 engine (as used in the Evo, amongst other things). The 2.4 GDI will not have so many parts available.

I've put drilled black diamond brake discs and pads on mine (insurance co did not regard this as a mod).

Springs and dampers are available.

What else would you want to put on?

Kieran
12-07-2004, 04:37 PM
The GLS is a good choice for those on a budget. Insurance wise, if you've got zilch NCB you will suffer. It's in group 12-14 depending on year, specification and chosen insurer. I paid just over £600 this year for my GLS. I'm 24 with 5 year's protected NCB.

Although the 4G63 engine in the GLS is a derivative of the famed Lancer Evolution engine, that's a bit like saying the Ford Pinto engine is like a Cosworth engine. They share similar roots, but the GLS version is built for economy and smoothness. Aside from K&N filters and a Remus backbox, there's bugger all available in terms of tuning. Forget cams, vernier pulleys, etc. :(

I wouldn't bother with the 2.4GDi. It's torquier, but in the real world you won't find it much different to the 2.0 in terms of MPG and it's less eager to rev.

firefly
13-07-2004, 11:34 AM
Hi there

I have a 97 Galant GLS Estate. I'm 24 with six years no claims bonus and paid c£450 fully comp with direct line. I do live in leafy Suffolk tho so crime is not exactly rife down here! :laugh:
Other big companies including Churchill and AA quoted similar prices. :)

For an idea of possible galant mods visit www.funkyproduct.co.uk - it'll give you an idea.

As for picking up bits and pieces you can always rely on someone smashing their car into a tree :rolleyes5 - lots of people flog bits/cars on ebay and it is possible to find breakers on the web who specialize in Japanese cars inc imports.

Don't be put off by the seemingly lack of mods - I love my car since I bought it last month, have got many ideas from this website and I am a hearty believer in GLS POWER!!!!

Big Ian
13-07-2004, 12:29 PM
Hi there

For an idea of possible galant mods visit www.funkyproduct.co.uk - it'll give you an idea.

As for picking up bits and pieces you can always rely on ebay and it is possible to find breakers on the web who specialize in Japanese cars inc imports.

Don't be put off by the seemingly lack of mods - I love my car since I bought it last month, have got many ideas from this website and I am a hearty believer in GLS POWER!!!!

OR BE LIKE ME,AN DO 1-OFF MOD'S......don't copy me though as then they won't be 1 off.............ohh! did i mention ive got copyright to all that ive done to my car :rolleyes:

Bal
13-07-2004, 12:32 PM
*cough* *cough* angle eyes *cough* *cough* - sorry mate it has to be done they look awesome.

i pay £580 on my insure (23 with 2 years NCB) - i used elephat and a hint to bring your insurance down, put your mum on as named driver - knocked £130 of my policy.

B

kansai
13-07-2004, 05:23 PM
thanks for response people.
not put of for lack off mods for the galants not by a long way... just posted to see if is worth buying as its not a VR-4.
i can imagine the 2.4 GDi not being much different from non GDi mitsu's- i driven my friends mitsubishi Carisma 1.8 GDi, not that economical & as for performance, not very responsive i found. not that im thinking of getting a carisma!

i just prefer galants to primera's & previous generation accord & avensis(bit too euro looks)

as for insurance, Tesco would increase your premium if you add say your mum or dad as named driver!WTF!? i tried others like bell that reduces it abit. im from essex so hopefully that be ok.

Big Ian
13-07-2004, 11:20 PM
Kansai,
i think you will be surprised about how much power a standard 2.0 GLS has!
they are no where near VR4 power but they ain't the slowest 2.0 ltr on the road's a standard manual 5 speed will do 130mph and they are really good between from 40-100mph,ive seen over 135 out of mine but it has a few mod's,and i can honestly say "i can keep up with the best of them"(if not red face them :$ ) from the light's.ive never drove a carisma,but i don't think they are in the same class as tha galant in ant shape or forum :-D