PDA

View Full Version : SAT Nav's what is the best of the current breed Christmas 2009

Davezj
22-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Hi All,

i am thinking of getting a SAT Nav after Christmas, what would you recommend?

1. i don't want to subscribe to any features after the initial money outlay, as i will not be using it on a regular basis.

2. i would like to be able to put a TO and FROM postcode in and have it find the route. but not essential.

3. i always think personal recommendation are the best way to get what you really need/want.

4. i was thinking of a tomtom XXL 5" iq route 42 Europe maps hard case, integrated screen mount, etc, etc. the only thing it does not have is a main charger. but they are easily gettable. for £184.

5. i am always open to suggestions like getting a new head unit with Sat nav built in.

i don't know much about SAT Nav's so all comments are welcome.

cheers Guys

Wodjno
22-12-2009, 09:47 PM
What Mobile phone do you have ?

gallvr4
22-12-2009, 09:50 PM
i was looking for one last sepetember and put up this post:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41533

bought a garmin in the end....been to the ring and back with it with no problems.....

brendan

ANTHONY
22-12-2009, 09:53 PM
What Mobile phone do you have ?thats a bit personal:huh2:

Nick Mann
22-12-2009, 10:01 PM
I've got satnav on my Blackberry. It has some big advantages - like the option to give you walking directions, portability, access to the latest maps available every time you get directions etc.

It also has some disadvantages - I can't make it loud enough to hear in the Van, the screen isn't as big as I'd like and the info isn't as easy to decipher as the Tom Tom.

Hope that helps a bit.

AlanDITD
22-12-2009, 10:16 PM
the only thing it does not have is a main charger. but they are easily gettable. for £184.

Thats an expensive mains charger!

shaun1978
23-12-2009, 12:22 AM
Ive got tomtom on my xda orbit2 and its spot on , loud enough and i'd be lost without it, literally.

WizardKing
23-12-2009, 12:23 AM
Between swapping, upgrading and replacing units, I've owned and used over a dozen units, quite extensively.

To add to the number, a Dell Axim, pocket PC and several HTC mobile phones (both with and without actual GPS hardware onboard), using software from Co-Pilot Live and a few other, less popular names.

Mainly, the big two (TomTom and Garmin) have been in regular use in various cars.

Presently, my mobile phone is an HTC Touch Diamond (with GPS, inbuilt) which, until last night, was running TomTom Nav , version 7._, flawlessly for a couple of years or so (until I flashed the firmware, accidentally deleting all software)

Enough background experience, fed up of switching gadgets on/off, hiding and re-mounting several times a day, I sold off all my old mobiles, sat-navs and I.C.E. to put my money into an enormously superior product.

Kenwood DNX7240BT

Davezj
23-12-2009, 12:36 AM
i have a phone that can text as well. it is a samsung F210 as small as i could get.

so that is no help, but i get what you are on about, with the mobile phone route. but i am a phone for phoning type of person, it cost me about £20 every 6 months to top it up, and thats the way i like it.

but a PDA might be possible.

so the phone route is out and i am not bothered about the blue tooth conectivity either.

WizardKing
23-12-2009, 12:41 AM
As seen, in the first picture(s) this thing can even display any custom start-up screen you desire.

In the last fortnight, since first owning, I've downloaded and installed the latest firmware and software for the stereo unit,Parrott Bluetooth and Garmin sat-nav updates.

Several times per week, I download speedcamera updates, too. If you Google the model number, DNX7240BT, check the specs out.

It can be updated with one of it's USB leads, over Bluetooth and by disc (CD or DVD), depending on which aspect the update pertains to.

There is a lifetime TMC Pro subscription (for traffic maps info, displayed and listed onscreen) included BUT mine came with it for Germany.

No probs , £30 for a UK lifetime subscription isn't too bad. (I won't mention anything about using a special key-generator that'll give you a code for nowt' !)

Davezj
23-12-2009, 12:44 AM
can you upload OS map files to sat nav's as i have all the OS maps for the uk in 1:50K and 1:25K. it would be nice to be able to use it for walking as well.

WizardKing
23-12-2009, 12:52 AM
so the phone route is out and i am not bothered about the blue tooth conectivity either.

On the car-stereo's Bluetooth, you can text and use the car's speakers (front only, rear, all, etc) to safely use the phone hands-free.

PDA's are now rather dated, limited and still able to get a smashed window for their nickability.

Having a self-contained, in-car system is the way forward, IMO.
A 7" screen is so much better than even the largest ordinary sat-nav display. You can almost use your peripheral vision and keep your eyes on the road, where they should be, when on the move !

WizardKing
23-12-2009, 01:16 AM
I believe Garmin offer a similar service, Dave.

Don't know about existing maps, though, sorry. A good place to ask may be gpspassion or any Garmin(esp. unofficial) forum.

martin_y
23-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Gosh, I looked up the price of that Kenwood - £1000 plus !!!!!!

CARMEL120
23-12-2009, 09:26 AM
get a garmin with bluetooth and fm transmitter so you can send it threw the car radio i have one and its like cd quility with out the wires

Wodjno
23-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Ok. So u say a phones out but a PDA's a maybe?

I have HTC TYTn2 mobile phone. I run CoPilot Live 8 Sat Nav Software on it, and it is as good or better than any dedicated Sat Nav system i've used. You can see it on their website.
Also the phone is windows driven, so has Word, Excel and Powerpoint. So it's a Pda also. It's awesome also for the internet(even CVR4 :) )
It has a full qwerty keyboard that slides up from underneath as well as touch screen.
I'm posting this from my mob /yes
The phone i picked up for £120 2nd hand.
The CoPilot Software is about 50 quid i think. Not sure as i updated mine as i have been using CoPilot 3 years now.
The reason i went down the Mob route is i would forget to take my Sat Nav with me and i didn't like leaving it in the vehicle or having to cart it round with me.
My Mobs always with me, so now is my Sat Nav and my PDA.
It also had OS input for walking.
I'm on an 02 1 month contract which costs 20 quid and gives free unlimited internet, 1200 texts and 600 anytime/anywhere minutes pcm. U can end the contract anytime.

Cheers

Wodj

TAR
23-12-2009, 11:18 AM
It has a full querty keyboard
Wodj

Umm, I'd want a refund as its not a QWERTY keyboard!!

:happy:

Davezj
23-12-2009, 11:23 AM
oh that does sound good!

you are getting a lot of tech for the money there, it is very tempting. but it is a bit expensive for me, as for the frist year it would cost a minimum of £410.

but thanks for the info. it is still very tempting senario.

Wodjno
23-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Umm, I'd want a refund as its not a QWERTY keyboard!!

:happy:

What you on about "FOOL" :Mr-T:

Wodjno
23-12-2009, 11:30 AM
oh that does sound good!

you are getting a lot of tech for the money there, it is very tempting. but it is a bit expensive for me, as for the frist year it would cost a minimum of £410.

but thanks for the info. it is still very tempting senario.

Actually ?? I'm not even sure you need the contract to use the GPS.. So a Sim only should work ?

miller
23-12-2009, 11:30 AM
not being massive techie i have had a TomTom Go520 for two years now, works a dream, the traffic info and updates with route changes are a godsend.

I dont use one enough to warrant anything more than £100.

It has bluetooth as well which is surprisingly easy to use too.

The European maps with lane indicators helped beyond belief! nearly driveing like a local in Italy!

Mike

WizardKing
23-12-2009, 03:25 PM
You don't even need a sim , everything except phone and texting still works fully.

HTC's phones have been the highest tech devices for years now.
I know of other phones that pretend to have sat-nav but there is no GPS hardware in them. They 'cheat' by using the network's transceivers, i.e. land-based aerials. Highly inaccurate, too.

On HTC devices, you can choose to use this system in addition to GPS, only worth doing in very built-up areas, though.

I've used all mine on Pay as you go. The dearest has been my HTC Diamond at £200. From e-bay, used but immaculate and new at the time (2 years ago)

ANTHONY
20-01-2010, 12:20 AM
just got my self a tomtom one classic full europe mapping £99.99 from halfords.............:mexicanwav

davcom1
20-01-2010, 12:41 AM
Think Wodj is right - it is 'standalone' software.

I current use Garmin PC with my carputer. Have tried loads of different satnav software that works with the PC (thanks to some handy websites!) and am still not convinced which is best.

I could get nav with my Blackberry but am too tight to pay subscriptions and the screen is pretty small.

Ebuyer have a standalone unit for less than 45 notes which might be worth a punt!?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159765

Don't know what the software is like but it takes 7 digit postcodes which is no doubt standard by now but an important feature nonetheless.

There's a good chance that the software could be changed later as it runs a Win CE operating system.

For walking, I'd love a Satmap Active! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJyt3RFycsE

WizardKing
20-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Aaaargh , that's huge in comparison to an HTC Diamond. Used Tomtom on one for a few years and currently trying Garmin out on it.

Although I'm not a keen walker, I believe walking maps are downloadable for both.

Nav on Blackberry ? I think they still only use assisted gps, which means not gps, at all. No hardware on board for actual gps. No phone signal equals no nav help, too (great if you get lost in the wilderness, not !)

There will be pro's and con's whichever choice you happen to make. You just have to evaluate with as many resources as possible to make an informed decision. You can always sell it on, if you change your mind.

NevGroom
20-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Blackberry has full onboard GPS - The issue is that to start the app requires mobi phone connectivity - Very dozy!

WizardKing
20-01-2010, 05:15 PM
Aha, found the following from http://www.onlyblackberrygps.com . it's all clear as mud, now !

#
Not all Blackberrys have GPS built in, therefore you may need a bluetooth external GPS receiver.
# Some Blackberry's don't have an external memory (SD Card) slot. This means that most GPS software is "Off-Board." Update: The Bold 9000, Storm 9500, Curve 83xx, Pearl, and 8800 do have mini-SD slots.
#
"Off-Board" means that the maps are stored on the internet and downloaded by your Blackberry when needed.
#
"Off-Board" requires a data connections (GPRS) and extra charges may apply
#
"On-Board" means that the maps are stored on your PDA, usually on an SD card (TomTom, etc...)

doesn't say they have any hardware for gps , though.

Nic-Nic
20-01-2010, 06:25 PM
just to b awkward- i found my older nav man better than my new tom tom- easier to use, and easier to listen to/ follow directions from.
I find the tom tom too clumsy with directions- it isnt clear enough with motorway merges etc.
Only reason i stopped using my nav man was the power socket snapped off (after a good few years)... gonna get it repaired, and get rid of tom tom!

Have now got samsung touch screene something (sorry- dont do technology)- have got gps app on it, that is meant to double up as sat nav- but it decided i was bout 15 miles east of where i actually was- so that game was over-lol.
(and phone has been a disaster- touch screene wont work in cold, and now randomly stops working completely till i turn off phone and re-start... its only 3 weeks old!)

But yea- far prefered nav mans way of giving directions to tom-toms. (and both to phone with in built sat nav-lol)
hope u find one u like

Avenger
20-01-2010, 09:15 PM
just got my self a tomtom one classic full europe mapping £99.99 from halfords.............:mexicanwav

That's what I use everyday(recovery driver). Works well, and is as accurate as the maps allow.
Wouldn't be without one, but I can't see the point of the extra crap, or a large screen. After all, you don't drive along looking at the bloody thing, but follow the instructions with an occasional quick glance at the screen. I see so many people with it stuck to the screen right in the line of sight. I have mine stuck to the lower RHS of the windscreen. On the BMW I had before, it rested nicely in the instrument cluster.

davcom1
20-01-2010, 09:36 PM
My Blackberry has built-in GPS and I have some freebie software called "TrekBuddy". Its then possible to download selected areas from Google Maps and convert for use with it. Ok for localised areas - walking - but takes a lot of preparation.

Avenger - you are probably right, although you do get stories like this(!!!) -http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/...6646331.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/mobile/wales/south_west/6646331.stm) which can be translated into "My SatNav is crap because it didn't tell me a train was coming" /lol