PDA

View Full Version : Fuelling issue & Dyno Results from Eurospec

TAR
24-12-2009, 12:34 AM
I thought I would post up my recent dyno print-outs courtesy of Ben at Eurospec.

But first I want to thank Ben and the team at Eurospec for the great job they did on sorting out my car.

Since the dyno day last year, my car has been running very lean; lots of power but not really healthy for the engine. It was completely standard at that time and it made 259BHP (adjusted figure as its a pre-facelift auto).

I then had an opportunity to get a MAP2 ECU at a great price (thanks to Nutter_John) but didn't want to use it until the lean running was sorted.

This meant I spent all last summer and a Silverstone trackday running the MAP2 in self learn mode at wastegate pressure only - fun, but not enough!

Then by another stroke of fortune a set of 3" downpipes and a decat were aquired and hastily fitted, albeit with the standard back end still on it.

Eventually an opportunity arose to get the car down to Ben for mapping so off it went. He had to add LOADS of fuel to offset the lean running but managed to get the car up to 242BHP. The power came on hard and fast very low in the rev range which made the car feel pretty quick. :)

At this point I wanted to measure the AFR's to see what was going on. Step up Pezza with an Innovate LC-1 for sale. Fitted and working it was showing the AFR to still be on the lean side?

I eventually found enough cash to get a Walbro 255lph fuel pump and a Sytec motorsport fuel pressure regulator; this is where the problem really started.:(

The fuel pump was fitted followed immediately by an issue with starting, it took several seconds to fire up regardless of whether it was hot or cold. This was diagnosed as the check valve in the new pump being faulty so that will have to come off and go back to the supplier.

After fitting the new pump, the AFR's dropped and the car started running much richer, as expected if the original pump was tired.

So next was the FPR. On it went and splutter went the car. IT WOULD NOT START FOR LOVE OR MONEY /bat

I spent a whole weekend on my cold wet driveway removing plugs and checking coil packs and twice removing and refitting the FPR without any joy.
I was almost at the point of putting a match to it when on the 3rd time of removing the plugs and cleaning them, it started :d

It was overfuelling like mad, stunk of petrol and wouldn't tick over. It was awful but it was running.

So off to Eurospec with an instruction to keep it until it worked again.

Well within a day, Ben was on the phone to tell me he had found the problem.... The MAP2 had switched from primary to secondary and guess what? there was nothing in the secondary map and no MAF for the ECU to read from. The reason for the switch remains a mystery and Ben had to fiddle with the MAP2 to get it to look at the primary table again, however so far, its been OK (although that was just on a sedate drive home in the snow)

Not only did Ben find the fault and fix it quickly, he also remapped it to take out the now excess fuel and had it valeted. That is a professional service if ever I saw one. :thumbsup:

So finally I now have a Legnum running a MAP2 ECU at 0.8 BAR with 3" downpipes, decat , Innovate LC-1 wideband controller and a performance air filter.

The graphs are attached to the next post.

:)

TAR
24-12-2009, 01:12 AM
Here are the graphs.

Please comment as I'm no expert at reading these.

uploaded/2999/1261615281.jpg

uploaded/2999/1261615314.jpg

uploaded/2999/1261615353.jpg

:happy:

Gowf
24-12-2009, 01:15 AM
Tim, are all 3 graphs the same?

Nutter_John
24-12-2009, 01:15 AM
err have you not just posted up the same image 3 times there Tim !!!

TAR
24-12-2009, 01:30 AM
bloody uploader....just a minute or five....

edited graphs now in post 2

Atik
24-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Any reason why there is a quick drop in power at 2700rpm before the power kickstarts itself again?

I had a very similar graph before I did all my mods. Turned out to be a small loss in pressure somewhere in the lower plenum.

Also, and unless I've ready this wrong, there isnt any improvement in overall bhp?

elnevio
24-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Any reason why there is a quick drop in power at 2700rpm before the power kickstarts itself again?

I had a very similar graph before I did all my mods. Turned out to be a small loss in pressure somewhere in the lower plenum.

Also, and unless I've ready this wrong, there isnt any improvement in overall bhp?
It is probably the torque converter loading up, Atik. And the power has improved to 278 bhp, from 259 bhp (via 242 bhp). Just that it coincidentally happens to have 259 bhp prior to the auto correction.

If I am reading everything correctly, that is!

While I'm here... :eurospec: :rabbit:

Atik
24-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Doh.

Must read the graph properly :whistle:

apeman69
25-12-2009, 12:21 AM
For me, it would have been interesting to see the manifold pressure graph.
You've got a very similar power curve to mine from peak power to redline in terms of power reduction per 1000 rpm although mine hit 282BHP (again, nothing in it) 1000rpm earlier. You're torque reduction per 1000rpm after peak power is also very similar to mine.
My interest in the manifold pressure graph is because of my quite dramatic decrease in boost pressure from 4500-5750rpm. I just wondered what yours was doing. Anyway that was with my not too good turbos which have since been replaced. I guess I'm just trying to make some sort of comparison in anticipation of getting mine on the rollers after my recon turbo swap. So far, your graphs are the closest I have seen to mine so I'm feeling quite positive on the outcome.
Thanks for sharing the info.

TAR
25-12-2009, 12:54 AM
I'll post up the manifold pressure graph soon. I didn't think it looked very interesting!

Eurospec
29-12-2009, 08:15 PM
IIRC tims boost was pretty flat at about 0.8 bar.

The little spike at the begining of the run is my bad...... its me loading the car partial throttle and then burrying the throttle as i start the run, rather than burrying the pedal first.

Cheers,

Ben.