PDA

View Full Version : Smoke !!!

ianturbo
28-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Been for a drive today and i notice when i let off the acc pedle there was a bit of smoke hanging round my rear window !!:( could this be the seals in the turbos or could it be something more seirous ??
ian

Davezj
28-12-2009, 05:05 PM
it could also be oil vapour being burnt from the pcv valve as it occurs when the vacuum is created in the plenum/inlet manifold. PCV valve open under vacuum and sucks the rocker cover oil vapour into the inlet manifold and then goes in to one or more of the cylinders, which gets brunt and smoke comes out the back.

it is a long shot but it could be. it depends on how much oil vapour there is, e.g. hard acceleration makes more vapour/blow by ring vapour.

i have been looking into the whole rocker cover oil vapour catch can setup recently

swinks
28-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Was it smoke for sure? I mean, what colour?
In cold days VR4 is producing massive volume of steam, noticable whilst car is on idle or when you take your foot off acc.
Blue smoke - that's worrying tho.

ianturbo
28-12-2009, 08:11 PM
i can smell burnin oil !! and when i put a de cat on the other week the exhausts was full of soot !!:uhoh:
ian

AlanDITD
28-12-2009, 08:30 PM
the soot is most likely fuel due to the cars running so rich.

You havent got an air leak or pipe coming off have you? Just to rule it out anyway when the inlet elbow on mine used to start to work loose it poured smoked out the back as half th air the maf had measured exacped.

Its long shot but worth checking.

Turbo_Steve
29-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Hmm..if you can SMELL oil from inside the car, it's not likely being burnt in your engine, it's more likely you've got some on the exhaust burning off.

ianturbo
29-12-2009, 04:09 PM
I have been thinkin today ,i put a decat on the other week and there was a lot off soot in the exhaust could it just be burning the soot ? it only does it after a blast and not in town or on tickover !!
ian

swinks
29-12-2009, 04:37 PM
It is possible.
I had few days from hell after wrapping my downpipes in bandage. Actually, I was once stopped on traffic lights and told by pedestrian that my VR4 is on fire...:laugh:

Also, check for excessive leak of oil thru camcover seals (rear bank especially) and camshaft seals (airbox side).. It may drop stright onto downpipe.
Quite common after 100k miles.

elnevio
29-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Sounds like you need someone to follow you, to tell you exactly when it's smoking.

AlanDITD
29-12-2009, 05:16 PM
did they use exhaust paste when they put the decat on?

ianturbo
29-12-2009, 08:57 PM
I'll try the breathers tomorrow ,and yep they did use (me)exhaust paste but it ain't that i smelt .
cheers for the advice guys !:2thumbsup
ian

miller
29-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Hey Ian, sounds like you and me are in similar boat. Good news so far though i have minimal oil usage and nealry zero within catch tank.

Have a read through this see if its any similar.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43639

ianturbo
30-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Hey Ian, sounds like you and me are in similar boat. Good news so far though i have minimal oil usage and nealry zero within catch tank.

Have a read through this see if its any similar.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43639
Nice one !! it looks very much the same problem that you had on mine !!
ian

ianturbo
06-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Looks like its not mi turbos after all ,put some new plug leads on today and a catch tank ,had a look at the front pipe that needs changeing and oil is leakin from the rocker gasket on to manifold !! not too bad after all !!:beerchug:
ian

aboo
06-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Nice one Ian. Aways good when its an easy fix.