PDA

View Full Version : Hi all.

D4CUE
29-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Just reg'd today. Thought I'd introduce myself.
My names Davey and I'm from the North East.
I got rid of my Evo VI GSR (tuned to 335hp by my own fair hand..and wallet) about18 months ago to fund a business project and have been tolerating seriously underpowerd cars since.
I now find myself thinking of buying a different car, an estate is what I need for the cash and carry so imo the VR4 is a better looking motor than the Beamer or comparably priced Audis so I guess my mind is pretty much made up. Looks like I'm sticking with Mitsubishi.
I will be hanging around like a snot learning what I can before I buy one, no doubt getting flamed for re-posts. Happy days.

elnevio
29-12-2009, 10:30 PM
LOL - repost away! :D

/welcome3

Mrs B
29-12-2009, 10:30 PM
/welcome3

Have fun looking around :D

aboo
29-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Hi & welcome to CVR4.

Nick VR4
29-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum

Davezj
29-12-2009, 10:51 PM
hi and welcome to the club!

Nick Mann
29-12-2009, 11:12 PM
...no doubt getting flamed for re-posts...

Watch out for Nutter_John then!

/Welcome

Feel free to arrive at a mini meet or major event - we'll all be more than happy to talk about the cars! :D

Nutter_John
29-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Just reg'd today. Thought I'd introduce myself.
My names Davey and I'm from the North East.
I got rid of my Evo VI GSR (tuned to 335hp by my own fair hand..and wallet) about18 months ago to fund a business project and have been tolerating seriously underpowerd cars since.
I now find myself thinking of buying a different car, an estate is what I need for the cash and carry so imo the VR4 is a better looking motor than the Beamer or comparably priced Audis so I guess my mind is pretty much made up. Looks like I'm sticking with Mitsubishi.
I will be hanging around like a snot learning what I can before I buy one, no doubt getting flamed for re-posts. Happy days.
Sorry this is a re-post :D

Hello and welcome to the mad house

Vince
30-12-2009, 04:04 AM
/welcome3

keithatport
30-12-2009, 07:10 AM
Hi and welcome to the club.

Wobble
30-12-2009, 10:26 AM
hello and welcome. i came from an evo vi aswell . the vr4 is much easyier to live with than the evo but just as much fun just as expensive to run though. my legnum is hands down the the best car i have owned and practical to.dont be fooled like me and want the manuals the auto is what i think makes this car .

CrossRoss
30-12-2009, 11:24 AM
/Welcome

Turbo_Steve
30-12-2009, 11:34 AM
As you've had an Evo, you'll be used to the (stellar) running costs.
What may surprise you about the VR4 is the fuel economy - it isn't comparable!

That aside, the VR4 is a better daily drive IMO and far more practical, especially with a few smaller mods.

Welcome to CVR4!

chris g
30-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Welcome to CVR4...

Confused
30-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Welcome to Club VR-4! :)

D4CUE
30-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks very much for the welcome. :)

dont be fooled like me and want the manuals the auto is what i think makes this car .

Never been a big fan of automatics wobble and I have already seen a beautiful vr4 for sale that had everything I wanted but it was an auto.
I'm going to make this issue the first order of business because Ive never used a tiptronic (sp???) transmission before and I'm gong to have to consider it.
Is there anything you can add to give a bit more substance in favour of the auto box wobble? (poss should have started a new thread here).

Confused
30-12-2009, 04:07 PM
The auto box WILL feel odd, if you're not used to it - it is different to every other automatic box I've ever driven.

However - once you get to learn it, it is wonderful. However - many people don't give themselves the chance to learn it before dismissing it.

valleyforge1
30-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Welcome to the club.

Wobble
30-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Thanks very much for the welcome. :)

Never been a big fan of automatics wobble and I have already seen a beautiful vr4 for sale that had everything I wanted but it was an auto.
I'm going to make this issue the first order of business because Ive never used a tiptronic (sp???) transmission before and I'm gong to have to consider it.
Is there anything you can add to give a bit more substance in favour of the auto box wobble? (poss should have started a new thread here).

i never drove an auto before test driving legnums.and never looked at them, always went out of the way to get a manual (supra,rx7 ),
all the the manual legnums i drove were very erm raw compared to the autos.problem is on a test drive you wont see what the auto box is capable of ,you need to give it a few hundred miles for the box to learn your driving style.i used to love my evo but due to having a couple of kids it wasnt practical (bloody stupid hinge in boot)

trust me ,drive a couple of autos and you will not look back ,never thought i would say that

bradc
02-01-2010, 07:10 AM
The auto's in the VR-4's are extremely good, but they just didn't quite do it for me. If you see the VR-4 as an EVO Wagon then you should definitely buy a manual ;)

aboo
02-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Where about in the north east are you? I'm sure there will be member close by that could take you out in the auto to let you see what its like.

Turbo_Steve
02-01-2010, 01:48 PM
As brad says, the Tip either works for you or it doesn't. It's definitely thirstier.

If you're after that Evo experience again, then you'll probably want a manual.

If you're "growing up" and your wife is going to drive it, you have kids, or you're going to sit in traffic a fair bit, the auto wins. It's at least 75% as fun as a manual, and 200% easier to live with.

If you're planning to increase the power, you won't need to uprate the clutch with an auto, either!

There is some dicussion around reliability, but there are far more autos out there, so there are more recorded failures. It's that simple. They ARE more complicated to fix, but most of the faults are relatively simple things like wiring issues or fluid changes.

bradc
02-01-2010, 07:53 PM
I don't see that it is very hard to drive a manual in traffic!

miller
02-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Welcome aboard Club VR4! A friendly club which enjoys its banter and the odd muttering come wailing from a ladyless lonely NZ chap called Brad ;)

Put simply.......in traffic i now play a little game called

''spot the peasants''

/wall /Hyper /wall /Hyper /wall

This petty willy waving from the manual owners on every single newbie thread is something new and something i have never come across before!

Simply put if the thought of a manual is that bad for you to dismiss the Auto straight away then I personally think your choice of platform is flawed for what you want. Neither the Galant or a Legnum will ever be an EVO regardless of how many manual gearboxes you can put in it!

If its going to make such a difference in loss of apparent 'seconds' on your 'journey' then i suggest you re look at your EVO in a more favourable light.

Oh and did i mention welcome aboard Club VR4!!

Enjoy your stay! Thats your first good decision made in signing on in here.

Mike

Turbo_Steve
02-01-2010, 11:40 PM

It's not.

However, trying to keep it VERY smooth for you children who are drawing in the back, your wife who is drinking a glass of water, after having had less than 4hrs sleep. It's an utter pain in the ass.

The AutoBox suits the VR4 amazingly amazingly well.

Unless you couldn't afford an Evo Wagon (in which case perhaps an RVR or Airtrek is a better purchase?) then, as Mike says, the manual really is second best.

bradc
03-01-2010, 04:38 AM
On a VR-4 with a stock clutch I disagree. The stock clutch engages so lightly and progressively it is easy to drive in any situation. I've had a few people remark when I've been driving for 5 or 10 minutes in the Turquoise VR-4 - ohh wow this is a manual, I didn't realise.

In the purple VR-4 things are a bit more difficult, it stutters a bit below 1500rpm (isn't tuned quite perfectly) and the clutch engages quickly. The loud exhaust also helps tip people off.

Ryan
03-01-2010, 06:39 AM
I saw a black EVO wagon on the way to yours Brad./Hijack

Turbo_Steve
03-01-2010, 02:29 PM
I have to admit I've not driven one with a stock clutch, but if it really is that smooth, it will be the first manual car I've EVER driven with 4WD that will give you a smooth engagement in 1st gear every time. Sitting in traffic is a PITA at the best of times, and frankly messing about with a clutch every 3 metres on the M25, feeling it get hotter and hotter, and knowing that every time I use it wears it out a little bit more just annoys me: there's no point to it.

As you say, for a cross-country thrash on the bleeding edge, the manual IS more involving: it is ALWAYS in the gear you choose, and you feel more "connected" with the car.

I've had autos, I've had manuals, and I've driven Volkswagens DSG now, too.
And the ONLY gearbox that is better than this auto is that DSG system.
I hated autos until I tried an INVECS II, which surprised me a lot.
It's NOT perfect, but given that most peoples buy a VR4 as a rapid daily driver rather than a weekend toy, the auto suits this purpose better.

What frustrates is that people read this forum and see this debate, and form an opinion of the auto before driving one. You don't like them, and that's great - it would be really dull if we were all the same. And, perhaps more importantly, your dislike for them raises very valid points about their behaviour that people should know before buying.

However - if everyone has to buy a manual VR4, there won't be any VR4s: there are simply better manual cars out there. Most people who actually spend and hour with the autobox before buying are very impressed with it, and I'd suggest most of those have a preconceived idea before they get in the car and have "suffered" an auto because they can't find a manual.
Then they find out that this is the gearbox they wanted all along!

HPRULZ
04-01-2010, 12:23 AM
Hi & welcome, for my pennies worth I love the auto and I use it daily M11,M25 stop start contra flow and on long runs up to the Midlands.

Kev

chris g
05-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Yes driving in NZ traffic will be ok in a manual...

But IMO NZ does not know what heavy traffic or a traffic jam is...

City traffic in Auckland, Wellington and other cities is nothing compared to much of UK city traffic and even small UK towns on busy commuter/lorry routes can have worse traffic than in the cities of NZ...

davcom1
15-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Mike - I agree wholeheartedly with your post plus it made me giggle which is always good!

I don't miss a manual since owning the VR4. Daily drive, fair bit of traffic, press the "STOP" pedal or the "GO" pedal - easy!

When the road is a bit more empty, use the tip mode to go up or down a gear at a time. The car will also drop down for you if the speed gets too slow for the revs... I sometimes forget I'm in tip mode and end up on the rev limiter in 1st sounding like an OAP in their little Kia!

Anyway... getting back to the subject...

Welcome to Club VR4!

WizardKing
15-01-2010, 11:15 PM
I don't miss a manual since owning the VR4 . . .

I sometimes forget I'm in tip mode and end up on the rev limiter in 1st sounding like an OAP in their little Kia!

Glad that it's not just me, then !!

/Welcome2 /bananaroc