PDA

View Full Version : Nissan Issue

KennyM
03-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Altho not a Mitsi, im sure _perhaps_ a similar issue could happen.

So we decided to make a vege garden. So we went and brought some plants.
Car was working fine driving back then just instantly cut out.
Flatmates got a Nissan Primera with a SR20VE motor.
We are trying to work out what would cause this problem.

Hazard lights work, when you turn on the headlights, they work and the dash lights up and the beep that the lights are on and car is off/door open works.

Nothing else works.
When it died the alarm didnt make a noise (battery backup?) The alarm doesnt work.
Turning the key in the ignition doesnt bring up any lights at all.

So everything ignition / alarm related isnt working. (i assume the engine has no power as well, tho cant attempt starting with no ignition)
No ignition = no stereo as well

We have tested all the of the fuses we can find, none are blown, tho what single fuse would cause the alarm to fail as well? it should be on its own thing?
There is a couple of 'box' type fuses that I dont know how to test.

If anyone has any ideas, i am able to test/go have a look, but i dont really know where to start.

The vege's survived the tow back and have been planted.

Wodjno
03-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Ignition Switch?

KennyM
03-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Seems there is something wrong in the ignition somewhere, which is blowing the master fuse.

Still dont know whats causing it, but at least it shows us where to look.

Turbo_Steve
03-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Check where the wiring goes through the bulkheads. It's liable to be there.

Start by removing all the fuses and trying again. This will eliminate all those circuits. If it doesn't blow, start putting fuses back in one by one until it does.

Nick Mann
04-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Aftermarket wiring through a bodged hole in metalwork somewhere?

AlanDITD
04-01-2010, 10:41 PM
It def sounds like a wiring short!

The guys on the primera forums are excellent by the way, not sure if your a member i used to be when i owned an almera, simaler engine etc...

Might be a common fault they know about?

KennyM
05-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Definaly a wire short somewhere.
After getting it going, we went to pick a part to get a heap more fuses, got all the way there, when leaving there was a pot hole in the carpark on the way out, and it killed it, we blew 2 more fuses straight away, whatever it was, was still touching. Giggled all the wires we could reach (which was pretty much all of the dash ones the way his car is) and put another fuse in and it made it all the way home (still in the garge)

I doubt its a standard issue. The wiring in this car has been destroyed by years of mods and sounds by people (who in my opinion) dont know what they are doing.

Turbo_Steve
05-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Well, you could always pick up a good condition loom out of a wrecker.

Which fuse is it that it's blowing? Should give you an idea which system is causing the problem?

KennyM
06-01-2010, 10:08 AM
it is the primary ignition fuse.....

Could be anything that runs off the ignition.

Nick Mann
06-01-2010, 10:53 PM
The wiring in this car has been destroyed by years of mods and sounds by people (who in my opinion) dont know what they are doing.

Sounds likely to be the issue. It's just going to be a case of trace all of that I guess.

Turbo_Steve
07-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Engine loom, then. Hmm....the first thing I would be looking at is the immobiliser\alarm install.

taylor
10-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Had this problem on a mates skyline. Turned out to be something dodgy with the alternator.

confusis
11-01-2010, 08:08 AM
primeracarclub.co.nz

used to be a member - great guys