PDA

View Full Version : Formerly a WTB thread - now a 'let's see how I get on with the insurance' thread!

elnevio
04-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Due to the adept manoeuvring of a Sheffield taxi driver this morning, reversing out of a parking space on a slippery downhill side road without looking and leaving me with little option but to hit him - at about 3 mph - I may be requiring these parts:

- Trigger Mauve PFL bonnet (although FL considered);
- Trigger Mauve nearside (i.e. passenger side) wing;
- Trigger Mauve PFL bumper;
- Nearside headlight.

The damage is fairly light - but was bang on the front left corner, so it's hit a bit of everything. The bumper and headlight may be ok, and the bonnet and wing may even be repairable. However, I suspect that a formal claim through my insurance would result in all the above-mentioned items requiring replacement, or potentially even writing the car off!

Whilst I will be informing Sky of my accident later on, I may decide not to claim on the insurance for my damage, if sourcing the parts on here and bolting them all on myself is more viable.

This is subject to further investigation, of course - such as further damage behind the bumper.

Anyway, let me know if you have anything suitable, be it one, some or all of the parts - and PM me prices and condition. At this stage I am not considering respraying, although that may change as things develop.

TIA

Nutter_John
04-01-2010, 03:19 PM
oh feck Nev , thats a pain hope you managed to get it all sorted easy enough

miller
04-01-2010, 03:29 PM
if you have any option of not telling your insurance dont tell them. I asked for their input/help after a car park attendant scratched my car. Nothing was ever claimed but still to this day its noted in my claim column. Okay its filed as a non claimant so why the hell should it end up in there!?

Anyways, hope its pain free, have you checked with Mo wether he has these bits in stock?

Good luck

Mike

GalantOnly
04-01-2010, 03:33 PM
I might have the passenger side wing we can swap...

Spirit
04-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Sh1t, sorry to hear this Nev........bloody taxi drivers :evil3:

Hope you manage to sort it

aboo
04-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Sorry to hear this Nev hope you get it sorted.

Turbo_Steve
04-01-2010, 04:08 PM
ERK! Is your intercooler okay!?

I would chalk this up as time for some upgrades, myself LOL!

peter thomson
04-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Bad news Nev. hope you get sorted out quickly

gallvr4
04-01-2010, 04:42 PM
hope you get it sorted with not much hassell....!!!

elnevio
04-01-2010, 06:15 PM
if you have any option of not telling your insurance dont tell them. I asked for their input/help after a car park attendant scratched my car. Nothing was ever claimed but still to this day its noted in my claim column. Okay its filed as a non claimant so why the hell should it end up in there!?
Well, I think the other guy is potentially going to try and claim against me. So I need to put Sky on notice. If a blame argument ensues, I really cannot see that this being agreed 100% in anyone's favour. Although I was only driving at barely walking pace, I still couldn't stop. But I say that he shouldn't have pulled out in front of me. If it was dry or wet, I would have been travelling faster, and would have still been able to stop, although if he'd pulled out in front of me in those conditions at closer range, I would have hit him in the same fashion. I was travelling as slow as feasibly possible, due to the extended stopping distances. We have a mutual witness - but I don't know what they'll say.

So if it goes 50:50, then he'll be liable for his loss, and I'll be liable for mine. If I then have it fixed myself, there is no claim against my insurance. Yes, the incident is noticed - but I have had this before and I don't think it made a difference to my quote. Although you can't help but feel cynical on this subject.

ERK! Is your intercooler okay!?

I would chalk this up as time for some upgrades, myself LOL!
Intercooler's fine - it doesn't look like anything has moved behind the bumper. In fact, I've had another look, and the headlight appears to be unmarked and not loose. The bumper may indeed return to shape - and perhaps a respray is a good option after all. The wing and bonnet may be repairable too.

Just assessing the options, really!

miller
04-01-2010, 06:23 PM
hmmm maybe its repairable with a decent panel beater and respray? They got the decent sized crease out of my wing when that numpty ran into me. Could be worth a quote from them

kiteman
04-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Really sorry to hear this Nev,
Just an opinion, if the bumpers not cracked or broken it can be returned to its original shape with the gentle persuasion of a heat gun.
I can let you have a white wing for nada, if you've someone in Ireland willing to pick up for you.
Cheers, tommie

carlos-1975
04-01-2010, 07:18 PM
oh man it never rains it pours well to compliment kitemans post i have a passenger trigger wing but it is a f/l so has holes for the arch extensions so kind of defeats the object really

elnevio
04-01-2010, 07:24 PM
It does look as if the wing has taken the worst of it, and is pushed into the wheel arch area a little bit, although not enough to foul the wheel at any point from lock to lock.

AlanDITD
04-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Sorry to hear this mate...hope its easy enough sorted.

If hes pulled out in front of you i cant see its your fault at all?

Nick Mann
04-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Reversing onto a road is a big negative on his side, as far as I uderstand it. I seem to remember the highway code saying that is should be avoided wherever possible?

If that's right, meybe that will help your case?

White Lightning
04-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Damn, sorry to hear this Nev. Hope you get this sorted without too much pain.

ANTHONY
04-01-2010, 10:34 PM
sorry to here this mate, have a word with Barry he was braking his car i belive

elnevio
05-01-2010, 09:34 AM
LOL - my headlight appears to be lighting up the nearside bushes now!

Anyway, I've advised Sky/Chaucer. They'll give me a ring today about what I want to do.

I simply cannot be ar$ed with the hassle of arguing over fault, which I am 99% sure will end up in some form of split liability. I.e. lose-lose.

I am tempted, however, to give the guy one 'without prejudice' opportunity, to not attempt to make a claim on my insurance, and I will do the same in return. That way, I can sort out my damage how I see fit. But if he claims it was my fault, I guess I'll have to fight for 100% in my favour.

Atik
05-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Not everyone has the decency like you Nev. All he is thinking about is 'whiplash' and injury compensation. Hope you manage to sort this crappy situation with minimal hassle, and I'm sure any parts you need can be had very easy from this club :)

Roberto
05-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Reversing onto a road is a big negative on his side, as far as I uderstand it. I seem to remember the highway code saying that is should be avoided wherever possible?

Correct, you are supposed to reverse into your drive way, even if it takes longer and is more trouble.

Because you are already on the main road and have full visability, for you and others seeing your movements.
Then just drive straight out.

But how many people do things by the highway code or even know they should.

Anyway Nev, I hope you can get it sorted without costing yourself anything.

elnevio
22-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Been up to the approved bodyshop this afternoon. Won't know the quote until next week, but apparently, because it's not been validated yet (I understand this is because I have not confirmed that I actually want to go through the insurance yet), the quote will be posted to me, and not the insurers.

Anyway, he did say that it'll be new headlight, new wing and a new grill(!). The bonnet and bumper are repairable, and the wheel is refurbishable (I've only recently noticed that three of the spokes are scuffed badly).

To be continued... !

swinks
22-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Nev, can't see why it might be your fault, even 50-50.
IIRC, Highway Code and all EU driving regulations saying that pulling (reversing) MUST be only if driver has clear and safe place to do manouver, in case limited visibility he must use even help of third party (co-driver, pedestrian, etc.).
Hope, y'know what I mean...

BTW, I have PFL bonnet (black) if needed.

Gutted for you, hope it ends well.

fluffnik
23-01-2010, 12:15 AM

Unparking into running traffic in either direction is a no-no.

100% the taxi's fault IMO.

Hope all goes well!

davcom1
23-01-2010, 12:31 AM
Nev - have only just found this thread.

Gutted for you.

Hope it all turns out well.

elnevio
27-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Well, I've received the quote:

£1,649.88

Er, wow!

It's attached for you to have a nosey at, if you want.

A couple of things have intrigued me:

The grille needs replacing because the clips are possibly broken (it doesn't push home any more, although I couldn't actually see anything broken), which is fine.

But, 'Manufacturer Badge'? Maybe the VR-4 badge from the grille? Which hasn't been on it for over a year! Something to be checked - i.e. I'll clarify which one they mean.

'L F Door Moulding' - errrrrr... um. Struggling with this one. There is zero damage along there? This was easily clear by the fact the dirt was undisturbed. I've even checked the skirting, just in case. The wheel, especially with its offset, probably deflected any scraping up the side of the car too.

And further down is the L/F Door Surface Paint. Did they look at a different car?!

To be continued...

Beastlee
27-01-2010, 09:30 PM
LOL, was there a scratch from before? maybe they think they're helping?

elnevio
27-01-2010, 09:34 PM
LOL, was there a scratch from before? maybe they think they're helping?
Seriously - there's no way of telling without removing the dirt! Unless they put the grime back after checking! :rolleyes3

swinks
27-01-2010, 10:44 PM
They gonna make some profit on top of non-existing labour and parts /yes

elnevio
27-01-2010, 11:21 PM
LOL - surely if you are going to do that, then you just inflate the paint and labour costs - not add items that clearly don't need doing! :jester:

Davezj
01-02-2010, 02:17 PM
nev what is the out come on the accident from a legal write and wrong stand point.
who is said to be at fault in the eyes of the insurers.

i really hope it is not you as that would be wrong, so wrong.

i have a friend how has done the same thing this morning on his way to work. i just wanted to get some info on it, and i thought you would be an expert by now.

elnevio
02-02-2010, 12:13 AM
:furious4:

Well, the independent witness says that in his view, it was my fault as my vehicle was skidding out of control and hit the third party's stationary vehicle.

Utter, utter rubbish.

But with that testimony, I'm fecked.

So I'd better get the car booked in. Then have fun with the repairers doing an unsatisfactory job to begin with, and end up wasting loads more time, getting it right, reinspecting the vehicle, taking time off work, getting more and more fed up with things.

It really is almost enough to just pack in with being a driver all together.

Ho hum.

Beastlee
02-02-2010, 08:04 AM
thats feckin ridiculous! there would have been evidence to show that. Who was the independant witness, his wife?

Nick VR4
02-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Ouch only just seen this good luck

swinks
02-02-2010, 01:14 PM
:o :o /JawDroppi /JawDroppi :o
/Grrr
That's why we should always call Police to any road accident, even if it's not necessary. They can make a statement for insurance claim issues.
Also good is to make some photo evidence right on the scene.
I know it's too late all those "advices" which are based on my driver experience in one of the most corrupt/fraud/bribe country (from PL).

Gutted for you Nev. Really I am.

Nutter_John
02-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Thomas , sorry budy but if you phone the police at an acident they will tell you it is not there issue , unless the other driver is pished or refuses to give details or someone need medical help

Nev i feel for ya buddy having been shafted by insurance compaines

swinks
02-02-2010, 01:37 PM
I know John, but it's your creativity how you talk with'em over the phone. You can always suggest them that you think that other driver was under influence, can't you?

Turbo_Steve
02-02-2010, 05:56 PM
True, but very unlikely if he's a Taxi driver - even more so if he's a practising Muslim! :)

Beastlee
02-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Thomas, you're right. I told them the HGV driver had been trying to deliberately kill us and they finally came to the scene. Unfortunately they decided not ot get involved as soon as they could see there were no serious injuries.

elnevio
23-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Having eventually returned the insurance form yesterday :whistle:, I have had a call from the bodyshop to say that the repair has been authorised. I have booked it in for next Wednesday, and I will be getting a courtesy car to thrape for a week or two.

Watch this space!

SGHOM
23-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Bet you don't get a range rover sport!

elnevio
07-03-2010, 03:17 AM
Bet you don't get a range rover sport!
You're right!

Leggie went in on Wednesday - I've been put in a VW Tiguan Sport 2.0 TDI 4WD.

Was speaking to the parts guy there - and impressing him on the part numbers for the required bits. After chatting to him, and running through a few bits regarding the grille and clips, it turns out that the grill and all six clips are unbroken - and that was the most likely part to take forever to arrive from Japan!

I have already received confirmation that the parts have been ordered; then parts received - now the Leggie is in the paint shop! At this rate, I'll be back in it within the next few days! Then I will be able to report on the quality of job undertaken - hopefully, the paint finish is a good one.

Be good to have the VR-4 back and looking tip-top! :sunny:

elnevio
22-03-2010, 02:34 PM
It's back! /woot2

Couldn't really inspect it properly, due to inclement weather, but the work is fully guaranteed. I really do need to despatch with the orange indicator though!

From what I could see on first glance, the panel gaps all look fine, only the bumper where it meets the wing looks like it could do with adjusting slightly. I'll give it the week (and hopefully a wash at the weekend), and put a list together if I spy anything else.

Good service throughout, so hopefully if there are any issues, that won't change! /yes

giblet
22-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Congrats, now get it cleaned, take some pics and go for a hoon!

elnevio
26-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Well, I am off back to Just Car Clinics this afternoon, after they kindly rang me up on Wednesday to check everything was okay.

My list, so far, is thus:

- The newly-painted wing has a couple of big scuff patches :o - seriously!
- The V6 badge has been put (back) on with adhesive that is about 4mm thick and squishy (unlike the other side which hardly moves)
- The passenger door moulding is slightly unstuck at the trailing edge
- Where the front bumper has been repaired and blown in, there is a paint edge on the lower lip that has lifted slightly
- The driver's side headlight (this was not the one that was replaced) was completely covered on the inside in condensation - never used to happen, and didn't happen in the 7 weeks the car was being used between the accident and it going in for repairs
- The front edge of the bumper, just above the top-right corner of the number-plate recess, has a couple of severe scratches, about 10" long
- Both front wind-deflectors are severely scratched on the inside about half-way along (near where the A-pillar meets the top of the windscreen)
- There are a couple of new scratches, that I have noted that didn't exist before
- There may be more scratches that I haven't located yet as I haven't washed the car since having it back

Now, it seems to me that the majority of the above is due to how it was washed at the end. I mean, the NEW wing with FRESH paint is scratched and scuffed for crying out loud! /pan I also wonder if there was a massive piece of grit in the cleaning cloth (or, God forbid, sponge! :|), or someone didn't take their rings off while cleaning it.

I suspect this may be a pain in the backside - but now is time to test their customer service and 'full guarantee'.

Fingers crossed, and I really hate dealing with stuff like this. Anyway, report to follow later!

Nick Mann
26-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Good luck bud.

elnevio
26-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Well, so far, so good. Well, other than the fact that it decided to rain for about 1 minute about five minutes before I left work /Brolly - not ideal for when you want to be looking at the paintwork!

Anyway, the customer service lady was very helpful, and I then met the workshop manager to go around the car. I missed a couple of items, but covered off the main ones (wing, headlight, scratches). He is going to check about the driver's headlight, and whether this will be replaced under the insurance now, as it may have effectively been caused by the accident anyway.

He accepted the scuffs need polishing out, but it appears that the scratches aren't really scratches! Except for the ones on the bumper, which they will sort out. Yes, the 'scratches' appear to be hardened polishing compound - which is good news.

So, they are going to give me a call in the next few days as to progress. He said that if I spot anything else, to let them know next time we talk, and they can be addressed.

There was no umming and arring, just positive noises - which is nice!