PDA

View Full Version : M1 Speed Cameras

miller
04-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Oh great:rifle:

just heard that once the road widening works are complete between J25 and J28 that the current average speed cameras are being installed on a permanent basis.

What a nightmare, currently its the most annoying 30odd miles of 50mph drive anywhere in the UK:veryangry :veryangry

Mike

AlanDITD
04-01-2010, 11:37 PM
They will be set to 70mph though will they not?

Speed cameras are a joke, we drove down to devon from carlisle nearly a 3rd of the journey was 50mph average speed cameras to protect the workmen.

It was 11pm-4am.........

ANTHONY
05-01-2010, 01:13 AM
tell that to ashley cole

Nick Mann
05-01-2010, 09:06 AM
They use that system on the M42 from the M6 junction down to the M40. Whilst it does often irritate me, I also have to admit that the traffic flow is smoother and on the whole quicker than it was before hand. I have been told that when the speed limits are not being displayed on the overhead gantries, the cameras are not watching. I have tested this theory past the 10% rule, but not to licence killing speeds. So far, no speeding ticket and it has been in operation for a while now.

Maybe there will be a positive side to it?

elnevio
05-01-2010, 09:10 AM
They use that system on the M42 from the M6 junction down to the M40. Whilst it does often irritate me, I also have to admit that the traffic flow is smoother and on the whole quicker than it was before hand. I have been told that when the speed limits are not being displayed on the overhead gantries, the cameras are not watching. I have tested this theory past the 10% rule, but not to licence killing speeds. So far, no speeding ticket and it has been in operation for a while now.

Maybe there will be a positive side to it?
Hopefully, it will be the same, Nick.

And yes, I find that it helps when traffic is heavy - as it seems to eliminate bunching up.

And yes again, the cameras are not in operation when there are no variable limits displayed (i.e. National Speed Limit applies).

Nick Mann
05-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Nev - they sometimes display the national speed limit. I understand this to mean that the cameras are operative for that speed limit. I also understand that when there is nothing displayed the cameras are inoperative for the same speed limit.

elnevio
05-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Nev - they sometimes display the national speed limit. I understand this to mean that the cameras are operative for that speed limit. I also understand that when there is nothing displayed the cameras are inoperative for the same speed limit.
That indicates that the variable limit has ended. If you see blank screens, this just means that the previous limit is in force. So if the variable limit changes from 60 back to the National Speed Limit, the NSL sign has to be displayed.

foxdie
05-01-2010, 10:17 AM
That indicates that the variable limit has ended. If you see blank screens, this just means that the previous limit is in force. So if the variable limit changes from 60 back to the National Speed Limit, the NSL sign has to be displayed.

Typically they do indicate the (/) NSL if they've been showing a slower speed restriction and that's no longer in effect, but when there has been no slower speed restriction they're typically turned off, it's at this point we're curious if the cameras behind the gantries are powered off?

On a slightly personal note on this topic, these rigs indeed piss me off too but Nicks right, they do help keep traffic flowing. There used to be a nice stretch just after these gantries where you'd come down a hill, it used to be fantastic for blowing off steam because you could just punch it and could easily get to 140 if you tried (read, if you tried, I didn't actually do it /Brolly), but the :-policema have extended the gantries down this stretch too /bat

Atik
05-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Its fun flooring it just as you pass the last of the cameras :D

WildCards
05-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Oh great:rifle:

just heard that once the road widening works are complete between J25 and J28 that the current average speed cameras are being installed on a permanent basis.

What a nightmare, currently its the most annoying 30odd miles of 50mph drive anywhere in the UK:veryangry :veryangry

Mike

Bloody annoying piece of road that is, northbound you can slip into the right hand lane which branches off through the central reservation away from the camera viewpoint, but southbound is a right ballache.

Lot's of people ignore the camera though, usually in 4x4's from what i've noticed.

pezza
05-01-2010, 02:31 PM
It will be a bugger if permanent then as its over quite a distance. Those annoying signs stating it will take 25 mins to get to junction 25 or something, when heading south, just add insult....

Also wondered about those cameras on the A616 off 35a M1 to go to Manchester... Anyonw know if those permanent average speed cameras are operational?

sonicsoundzdj
06-01-2010, 09:25 PM
i live near J26 on m1. i try to avoid it as driving at 50 on such a large and open road is just annoying!

miller
06-01-2010, 11:49 PM
i live near J26 on m1. i try to avoid it as driving at 50 on such a large and open road is just annoying!

you cant be too far from me then! Hucknall area!

sonicsoundzdj
08-01-2010, 08:41 PM
hi miller. im in arnold! il have to keep an eye out for you

sonicsoundzdj
08-01-2010, 08:42 PM
just had a look at your pics. is one of them taken at lidl car park in neitherfeild?

miller
08-01-2010, 09:09 PM
yup!