PDA

View Full Version : Hi, another newbie

kpeter20
05-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Hi

Newbie here, been interested in a vr4 for a while now and about to jump in.

Anyone got any experience with Ebony and Ivory? if so I would be grateful of any info about them.

Anything I should be looking for when I go to see a car for sale?

Cheers
Ken

Roberto
05-01-2010, 01:49 PM
/Welcome

Have a nice stay.

And search is your friend.
You'll find a few bits about Black and White.

kpeter20
05-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I have seen a 1998 'S' facelift galant vr4.

Done just over 44,000 miles in grade 4b condition.

No AYC

Auto box.

Price advertised is 4999.

I have tried to haggle and so far have got, MOT, 6 months tax, engine and auto box service and car valet. Toad Cat one alarm and the cambelt changed.

Also comes with their 3 month warranty - I have read that some people have had problems with the warranty offered but am happy to take a chance.

Is the AYC an option on facelift models or did they just not come with it?

Cheers
Ken

Nick Mann
05-01-2010, 06:27 PM
AYC was not included on the type-V. You won't have the plastic body kit either, or the flashy back-lit dash.

Make sure that the autobox is flushed with an oil that meets the SPIII standard - dexron III does not meet the standard and a flush should involve at least 10 litres of oil.

keithatport
05-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Hi and welcome to the club.

elnevio
05-01-2010, 07:19 PM
I did tell E&I that if they are using the proper stuff that they say they are, then they should enquire of Hyundai for their SP-III, being as it should be cheaper, although otherwise identical.

If you want your gearbox to have the dogs' danglies of ATF, then get Amsoil's ATF. It's worth paying some extra cash for this, as it generally drastically outlasts Mitsi's SP-III. Around 12 litres is needed for a full flush and drain of the gearbox. This means shelling out for three 5L tubs of it though, which is £195. Although full members get 15% off - which would more than cover the £20 membership fee! Don was also doing a New Year deal (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45298) a few days ago. Might be worth dropping him a very friendly PM?

If you wanted to go down that route, then you could even get it delivered to E&I and tell them to use it instead. Don't be shy about giving them a print-off (or cut & paste email) of the ATF flush & drain guide on here (this guide is another benefit of full membership, as well as all the other technical stuff) and ask them to follow it!

Also, the use of this ATF in the AYC diff (if you get one with AYC instead) is also recommended - again for it's much improved tolerance of normal and enthusiastic driving.

Beastlee
05-01-2010, 07:26 PM
£5000 seems rather steep to me considering it's a Type-V with the Tip box, especially when there are club cars going for almost half that with all the extras and the correct work done for servicing.

E&I has a mixed history within the club, I think the concensus was that you should treat it as a private sale rather than a trader.

kpeter20
05-01-2010, 08:28 PM
This is the one I am looking at.

keithatport
05-01-2010, 08:31 PM
The facelift wheels have been changed for pre facelift wheels.

elnevio
05-01-2010, 08:33 PM
The facelift wheels have been changed for pre facelift wheels.
Nope - those are standard on the Type-Vs.

keithatport
05-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Another reason not to buy a Type V then.

kpeter20
05-01-2010, 08:41 PM
The alloys dont put me off to be fair.

I am having trouble locating a decent galant rather than the legnum. I dont need or want an estate and there seems to be less galants about so its proving dificult.

Im going to test drive it, if I like it then fair enough, if I dont then I will continue the search, its got to be down to personal taste.

Nick Mann
05-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Im going to test drive it, if I like it then fair enough, if I dont then I will continue the search, its got to be down to personal taste.

Good plan!

They often have several cars in - maybe they'll let you test drive another that does have AYC?

aboo
05-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Hi & welcome to CVR4.

crazydriver81
05-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Hi and welcome to the club. AFAIK, they should have a manual (silver) Facelift Galant in stock. Not sure if the car is a Type-V or Type-S... So you might have a look for this car too?

I recommend to have some extra cash for maintanance work on the car. You are a full member so you have access to the maintenance schedule as well.

Good luck!
Stefan

bradc
05-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Isn't foxdie selling his Galant?

kpeter20
06-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the advice, after much deliberation with the mrs, I am plumping for the estate.

He has a 1999 legnum in white that I will be looking at.

Beastlee
06-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Peter, if you're willing to consider the estates I'd certainly recommend looking at what's available in the club. I believe Kelly & Ben's is up for sale and has had all the TLC it could want. From experience I would say a club car would be better than a fresh import unless you have a specific requirement.

miller
06-01-2010, 10:49 AM
I know of a 1999 Galant VR4 that will be up for sale very soon, exact same colour as that one at EandI but with service history of Amsoil etc. Running upped boost, exhaust and upgraded discs and pads all round

On a T plate

PM me if you want to know more

Mike

edit oh and EVO Enkei 17'' alloys

kpeter20
06-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks Mike

Will let you know how I get on.

HOODY
06-01-2010, 02:35 PM
welcome in :)

kpeter20
11-01-2010, 01:49 PM
I went to e & I today, test drove White legnum. All was fine until I wanted to cruise at 30-40 mph, at 1500-2000 revs. Kept shuddering and was not happy. He said he had the ATF fluid flushed and replaced and new filter. Anyways, he is on the phone trying to get more ATF fluid to redo the box and he is getting the cheap Nasty stuff at 6 quid a litre. I told him I wasn't interested anymore and I'm on the train home.

kpeter20
11-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Home now.

Just an update on above, after we sussed out that the box was shuddering we took the car back to his work shop at E and I and his mechanic told him they were out of the atf fluid. He called Mitsi and they didnt have any and he also tried hyundai and they didnt have any. The mechanic suggested amsoil and his jaw nearly dropped.

He wanted me to wait for a couple of hours while he sent the mechanic to get the cheap stuff from hyundai.

Great customer service but something about the car and him put me off so I swerved it.

Beastlee
11-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Shame you had a bad experience, I hope it didn't put you off VR4s!
In his defence at least he was willing to try and rectify an issue whist you were there, unfortunately he let it all down by being willing to use sub-standard items to fix the issue. Makes you wonder what corners are cut when you're not around....

Turbo_Steve
11-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Well, in his defence there isn't anything wrong with the Hyandai stuff: it's SPIII compliant (assuming it's the right fluid) so although it's not Amsoil, if I was going to do a 15L flush on a box that may have had it, I'd certainly contemplate it.

I'd look at the car Miller is on about - it looks MINT and has a very complete service history as well as a personal reccomendation.

kpeter20
11-01-2010, 08:44 PM
You are right, he did try and fix the issue.

But among other things, bearing in mind I had a deposit down and was going to take the car if it was ok.......It had not been cleaned inside or out.

He could not provide any paperwork from the auction in japan.

He told me that he had not changed the speedo yet it was reading out in MPH and there was no way of telling how many of the miles were KM and MPH.

He had a week to prepare and told me the car was in perfect working order before I got there.

And if you are asking 5000 for a car, I would expect it to be mint if you look at current market prices.

I am still looking at vr4's and will see whats available here .

HMG1K
11-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Type V is also without the wheel arch extenders, yeah? (As in the photo)

Type S has them?

IIRC! :-)

kpeter20
11-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Yeah, I ended up going to see the type s legnum he has in White.