PDA

View Full Version : Can i find a persons adress from their reg?

johny105
06-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Right, the tale. I was following a dark silver/grey astra 57 reg this afternoon and its underpan fell off hitting my car , it broke my foglight which i was pretty pi$$ed off at.
But the lad obviousley had no idea what had happened(i hope). Basically i'd like to take his underpan back to him and ask for a bit of compo for my light lol i know the reg is there a way i can find his name/adress out?

cheers

johny

elnevio
06-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Through your insurance, or the police. You might be able to apply to the DVLA too.

elnevio
06-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Ok - the DVLA is the place to go!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_065303.pdf

Fill that in and send it off with £2.50.

johny105
06-01-2010, 11:43 PM
top link ! thanks for that

johny

miller
06-01-2010, 11:44 PM
or just ring the DVLA up requesting details and a clamping companies name who you work for, or even pick a company out of the yellow pages.

and yes it is that easy.

WildCards
06-01-2010, 11:50 PM
What car is the underpan from? You may get more selling that on ebay!

johny105
07-01-2010, 12:01 AM
astra 57 reg

Davezj
07-01-2010, 12:06 AM
yes it is stupidly easy to get people address and other information no a days. it only cost a few quid to get a copy of a log book info and clone a car or get lots of personal info to steal an identity.

i had an issue with one of my bank cards recently, and the bank operative siad to me, "i think we have some of your details wrong", and believe it or not she asked "is XXXXX your password for the card" all i said is yes and she changed the info. shocking!

AlanDITD
07-01-2010, 12:09 AM
yes it is stupidly easy to get people address and other information no a days. it only cost a few quid to get a copy of a log book info and clone a car or get lots of personal info to steal an identity.

i had an issue with one of my bank cards recently, and the bank operative siad to me, "i think we have some of your details wrong", and believe it or not she asked "is XXXXX your password for the card" all i said is yes and she changed the info. shocking!

Not only that, but you accidently cut up some numpty on the road, he gets your reg pays 2.50 and comes round to murder you and your family!

What a ****ing farce!

johny105
07-01-2010, 12:12 AM
exactly , you dont necceserily have to cut anyone up , if someone takes a disliking to you for no reason it happens.

too many nutters about

johny

miller
07-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Not only that, but you accidently cut up some numpty on the road, he gets your reg pays 2.50 and comes round to murder you and your family!

What a ****ing farce!

at least they will have evidence of who asked for your details!

Small mercy i know:anxious:

stuey
07-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Surely if you reckon that he had no idea his undertray fell off, then it's not very fair asking him for compensation for your light.
Same as a stone chip, you wouldn't go round to the company that laid the road tarmac with their bit of pebble and expect then to pay up..

johny105
07-01-2010, 12:34 PM
true , but i was planning on him saying not me mate, then i pull the underpan out, him go and look ah its gone? not really bothered about the money i've got another light from the scrappie . i just wondered if their was a way i could easily find out .

johny

elnevio
07-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Surely if you reckon that he had no idea his undertray fell off, then it's not very fair asking him for compensation for your light.
Same as a stone chip, you wouldn't go round to the company that laid the road tarmac with their bit of pebble and expect then to pay up..
The road is the road - although I suppose you could sue the Council!

As for pieces falling off someone else's car - they have a duty to ensure that this doesn't happen, even unknowingly.

Nic-Nic
12-01-2010, 06:54 PM
it is scary how easily u can get hold of a persons details- from something as simple as a reg plate- and also how easy it is to get a new log book---
just got replacement for galant (last owner lost it)- £25, chassis number (but u dont need this) and reg mark.

at mini show: advert on one of the stands...
"tax exempt log books for sale, £200" (how legal is that?)

and at another stall...
Blank genuine mini chassis plates

tehe... i guess there can b genuine reasons for wantining a chassis plate- mini engines get swapped all the time- just want to up date engine number, and keep same chassis number, or for a kit car. but still- dodgy