PDA

View Full Version : 4 Piece Undertray kit

VR4WGN
09-01-2010, 07:47 PM
well its been on my mind ever since i made the fibreglass front undertray and have thort id ask ...

my question is Would anyone like a full undertray kit?
i am willing to make a kit(for myself) but would be better if i had some others to help recoup costs..

i would also like to know wether Fibreglass or Alloy to be used as the core.

i was thinking of copying one of these setups or designing a 4 piece(front,2 piece centres and rear)

i have a shell im willing to hack up and keep the floor pan and use that as my jig to work from.

please your input is important to me
~Q~

aboo
09-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Sounds like a good idea. Would you be able to get some down force out of it?

Davezj
09-01-2010, 08:19 PM
wow what cool kit.

i would love something like that, but unfortuneatly i don't have the money for it.

what do you think the final cost would be. £300 would be a good place to start.

VR4WGN
09-01-2010, 08:37 PM
heheheheheeh Dave i wish... maby i can make it out of FRP and roll it up and post it to you?? lol

Aboo- it will be built for downforce lol.. anyhting closing off the undercarriage wil lcreat the downward force from what im told so this will be beneficial for those high speed freaks correct if i am wrong please...

bradc
09-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Only if the car is lower at the front and higher at the rear and if the air can escape properly at the rear.

http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/aero/tech_aero.htm#Drag

Read the sections on Ground Effect and Undertray. The undertray just by itself will lower aerodynamic resistance by quite a bit and increase downforce by a tiny bit

VR4WGN
09-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Read the sections on Ground Effect and Undertray. The undertray just by itself will lower aerodynamic resistance by quite a bit and increase downforce by a tiny bit[/QUOTE]

meaning this is a stupid idea or a good idea?

bradc
09-01-2010, 10:33 PM
It is a good idea for someone who wants to improve fuel economy slightly on the open road and possibly increase their top speed by a few kmh.

I'm not convinced that doing the entire car is needed, between the front axle and the rear axle the car is fairly flat already. The front undertrays exist already, so I'd work on the rear myself. One that starts at the back of the fuel tank, covers the diff and ends at the rear bumper.

aboo
09-01-2010, 10:35 PM
So what would be the cost Q? IMO I dont think you'll get much intrest if its to expensive but I may be wrong.

I'm no expert in downforce but could'nt you put holes in it or something so it will suck the car down.

I think this is a good idea as I'm sick of scrapping the bottom of my car since I lowered it.

VR4WGN
09-01-2010, 10:38 PM
lol Aboo........ um im not sure at all ey.. id say cheaper being ally but i could be wrong tho..

Brad- ill make a rear one for now then maby and see how that goes..well not now,when iv built your ST-r up tho

Davezj
09-01-2010, 11:05 PM
still a good idea.

but aerodynamic down force by ground effects usually require the side skirts to be quite air tight to the ground and as said above front is low and the rear is higher, effectively creating a venturi tunnel under the car (creates a lower than atmospheric pressure reagion under the car and the rest of the worlds atmosphere pushes the car to the ground.

or it requires a flat bottom to the car with venturies built into the under tray, starting at the middle ish of the car and growing larger towards the back of the car. but again for this to work the car need to be low to the ground.

if the car is not low to the ground, then you might as well forget down force created by the under tray and consentrate on just allowing it to channel the air under the car correctly. an under tray will create a lower pressure reagion under the car but not by much. you can incorperate some slots in the tray under the back of the engine to allow the lower air pressure region under the car to channel out the hot air from the engine bay.

i know it is very crudely put and can be explained much better and probaly is in various links posted up. but that is how i have always under stood it.

VR4WGN
10-01-2010, 01:11 AM
that is very good Dave!!! i think channeling the hot air is anothr good reaon to do it,but firstly itd be more beneficial to actually buil the trays first lol.. gotta get a shell flipped over first lol