PDA

View Full Version : Sliding on Ice

ajsimp
10-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Last night the car slid slowly on the ice and the right hand front wheel hit the kerb with a big bang and then mounted the kerb! By the sound i thought the wheel was going to be smashed but when i had a look there was no visable damage. I drove home slowly and the only indication was the steering wheel is off centre, i jackrd up the car this morning expecting to see a bent inner track rod or a bent suspension arm but all seems well. Theres no free play in the wheel at all but im convinced something is amiss! I will be putting it up on a ramp tomorrow to have a closer look at everything, does anybody have any idea whats the most likely culprit? And is there anywhere in dublin that can supply replacment parts?

Nick Mann
10-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Something must have bent or stretched if the steering wheel is no longer pointing the right way. I'd get it up on a ramp and have a good look. Best bet might be the lower curved arm - from the bottom of the hub carrier to the inside back corner of the wheel arch. If that curve is slightly different, that would put your geometry out.

kiteman
10-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Last night the car slid slowly on the ice and the right hand front wheel hit the kerb with a big bang and then mounted the kerb! By the sound i thought the wheel was going to be smashed but when i had a look there was no visable damage. I drove home slowly and the only indication was the steering wheel is off centre, i jackrd up the car this morning expecting to see a bent inner track rod or a bent suspension arm but all seems well. Theres no free play in the wheel at all but im convinced something is amiss! I will be putting it up on a ramp tomorrow to have a closer look at everything, does anybody have any idea whats the most likely culprit? And is there anywhere in dublin that can supply replacment parts?

Most motor factors in dublin will be able to get suspension parts for you if needed.
J+S in clondalkin are the importers of the blueprint range of spurious parts for most jap car makes, and they distribute them through most motor factors.

Hope you'll not be needing to buy too much.

ajsimp
10-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Thanks for your replies! Ill have a good look in the morning,