PDA

View Full Version : MOT Failure Statistics - Released by VOSA as a result of FOI request

Confused
13-01-2010, 01:52 PM
The government agency which oversees the MOT system has backed down after 18 months and released data which shows how often different makes and models of cars and small vans fail MOTs.

This means that car and van buyers will now have access to the detailed MOT records of individual models, including reasons for failures. The figures show wide variation between different models, even when comparing vehicles of the same age.

The Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA), an arm of the Department for Transport, yesterday revealed 1,200 pages of detailed statistics on MOT failures following a freedom of information request made by the BBC in July 2008.

VOSA initially declined to supply the material, but last month the information commissioner ruled that disclosure is in the public interest and overturned VOSA's refusal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/opensecrets/2010/01/mot_failure_rates_released.html

Statistics in Excel format here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/opensecrets/MOT_Make_Model_Comp_2007.xls

Shows data from 2007.

I've done a total for each column, plus percentages for each failure type.

mesobitchy
13-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Nothing interesting happening in work then hun?

foxdie
13-01-2010, 02:40 PM
39% out of 25.3 million failed in 2007? Jeez.

Davezj
13-01-2010, 02:45 PM
i have had a look at the data and it does not seem to be complete/correct/make sense.

mitsubishi ralliart Galant only 6 cars MOT that year. which seems a bit low, but they could have still been with in the warenty period.
5 pass and 1 failed that year but then it goes on to show 2 failed for brakes and 2 failed for drivers view of road.

how can that be if only 1 car failed the MOT.

keithatport
13-01-2010, 02:47 PM
same car failed twice?

Confused
13-01-2010, 03:14 PM
It's not exact... I guess for imports etc, it's dependant on what it's on the DVLA/VOSA systems as.

And you could have one car fail on more than one category.

elnevio
13-01-2010, 03:29 PM
There was something like 56 Ralliart Galants tested!

I bet a few ended in in normal Galant territory anyway.