PDA

View Full Version : Power

konman
15-07-2004, 01:14 AM
My VR4 is 1998 but pre-facelift, in other words doesnt have the flared wheel arches or the new front bumper. How can i tell without sticking it on a dyno if it has the 260 or 280 HP motor. I realise there wont be a sticker anywhere but was curious if all 1998 cars are 280 or just the new facelift models. is there a serial number stamped somewhere that would point me in the right direction. Ive read in other posts people trying to a get a grip on the options the cars came out with, and everyone seems to have something different, leather, carbon trim, cloth trim, blah blah blah.
oh and while im at it has anyone ever had to do a torque convertor overhaul or any other kind of convertor work... mine seems reluctant to lock up reliably and seems to slip when in 4th or 5th gear going up hills on light throttle.. the revs just seems to drop smoothly, speed keeps up and will actually accelerate slowly if i need to without the revs moving on the clock or sounding like they move, just sounds a little louder and deeper. just had the gearbox fluid changed, they used elf and it seems really good, does that mean the fluid in the torque convertor was changed too, or is that totally seperate.
anyway any advice would be sweet... cheers doods :-b

KiwiTT
15-07-2004, 02:30 AM
Power will be 260 hp if it is pre-face-lift. However most people will not notice the difference between them. You may want to de-cat it.

Did you get the Transmission serviced at a "Mitsubishi" Dealer ?

konman
15-07-2004, 02:32 AM
nah, just had a basic service, you know change the fluids etc and so on, mag and turbo, beach road auckland city did it for me.

KiwiTT
15-07-2004, 02:55 AM
nah, just had a basic service, you know change the fluids etc and so on, mag and turbo, beach road auckland city did it for me.

I'd take to a dealer. They can ensure that it is filled correctly and to specification and use their diagnosis equipment to check the rest out.

I use "Auckland Motors" in Grey Lynn. He will even offer a discount if you say you are a Club VR4 Member and have your membership card.

Nick Mann
15-07-2004, 09:42 AM
Pre-facelift auto = 260.
Pre-facelift manual = 280.
All post-facelift = 280.

There's bound to be exceptions, but I think that covers 95%!