PDA

View Full Version : Ive done it again :(

BraindG
14-06-2003, 06:02 PM
Ive wasted the tyres on my car again. INSERT INTO post VALUES (last time was on first vr4 i had..)

One word of advice, if you buy a new car, try and get some new tyres out of the dealer if the following is true.
When a car is imported, the tyres that come with a japanese imported car are not of a high speed rating. As their cars are restricted.. This is not always the case, however more often than not, they are "low" spec tryres.. Soooooooo, soon ill be doing an article on tyres, and which to get/avoid..

anyways..
how do i know if my tyres are "burnt out"?
well.. if the car drives like its on jelly, is the best way to describe it.. woble the steering wheel from left to right, at about 30mph, and watch the AYC lights.. if they hit 3 bars frequently, you may have a problem.. the car will just feel as if its floating about the place.

other symptons may include-
when going slow, say trying to park at tescos, if may feel as if the car is getting away from you.. not very responsive. o indeed, you may have to take a few attempts to get parked. cos it feels the turning circle has "gone" on the car..

Your tyres look brown, and if you rub it they get shiny..

ok, thats it for now, a rough draft, ive not prrof read it yet.. so excuse my grammar/spelling.. please see attached pictures, and let the discussion begin..

BraindG
14-06-2003, 06:04 PM
note top right the tyre is shiny, this is where i rubbed it

BraindG
14-06-2003, 06:05 PM
and the whole tyre

BraindG
14-06-2003, 06:08 PM
right, as i said, id like to get an article up on this.. so lets discuss :D

Brind
14-06-2003, 07:32 PM
If you get some 17 inch wheels and low profile tyres you won't scrub the tyres so much, you'll scrub your new alloy wheels instead, and since you won't want to be doing that problem solved! :)

But I've also heard that Japanese cars have much lower spec tyres than over here because of their limited speed.

I've heard different replies to which tyres people prefer.
I guess it depends what you want from them, obviously they have to be of a suitable speed rating but grip etc is really only important to those who expect constant fun from the car.
I've got Pirelli tyres on mine which came with the car but since I don't know any different and I rarely use the car they're okay for me.

But it would be good to compile another list of which brand and model people prefer.

BraindG
14-06-2003, 07:37 PM
the tyres were fine, before the boost controller :)

Once i got the car back, diff fixed, and BC fitted, i went for a hard drive.. must have been that which done my tyres in... and it wasnt like i didnt push the car hard before the controller either.. maybe its nothing to do with the extra speed.. maybe they were about "to-go" however, seems unlikley..

i just need 17"or perhaps 18". :) might be a good time to sort this out :)

Spirit
15-06-2003, 07:18 AM
When I originally got mine I had Pirelli P5000's on it which were good tyres but had very loud road noise and I would not fit them again.

When I had my gearbox oil leak sorted in April by the dealer they agreed to fit four new tyres as a deal and I only had to pay £100 towards it. They fitted Stunner Scudo's that I have now. I must admit I was unsure of them as I had never heard of them before but they are Italian made, W rated INSERT INTO post VALUES (168mph) and the road noise is half what the Pirelli's were so they are great for the £100 I paid towards them.

When I get my next set I plan to fit Goodyear Eagle F1's.

Pete

calum
15-06-2003, 09:47 PM
I got a quote for some Goodyear eagle F1 GSD 3's.

Here's the prices:

215/40/17 delivery 6/6/03 45.00 each all in
215/45/17 delivery 23/5/03 50.00 each all in
225/50/16 delivery 23/5/03 60.00 each all in
235/40/17 delivery 23/5/03 60.00 each all in
225/40/18 delivery 23/5/03 70.00 each all in
225/50/15 delivery 7/6/03 65.00 each all in

I was looking for four of the 18" ones. However, I'm not going to get them 'cos I've had to put std wheels back on my car due to skelping one of my 18s off a kerb. Need to send it away to get fixed, as the wheels are now discontinued :INSERT INTO post VALUES (

The guy has totally over committed himself and so far his delivery times are poor to say the least. However, if you can afford to wait...

This is from a place called crossroad garage.

davidhunt@crossroadgarage.fsnet.co.uk

I do not recommend buying from him in any way. However, I know that everybody likes a bargain!

Calum

Roadrunner
16-06-2003, 08:49 AM
These are great prices, though. I've just bought two 205/45VR16 Eagle F1 GSD-2s for my wife's car and they cost about £97 each delivered INSERT INTO post VALUES (mytyres.net). Still to pay for fitting.

How are the original wheels, Calum?

Brian

calum
16-06-2003, 05:28 PM
They're doing the job - no more wobble over 80mph! Also gets rid of the spacers. Don't think I've got the correct wheel nuts, though - should they go 'inside' the alloy? Mine are short ones, with a taper, like you'd use on a steel wheel.. They'll do just now, anyway. I'll maybe give mitsi a phone and order a set.

Had the alignment checked yesterday and it was bang on - no adjustment needed. Took them a while to get a reading, though, as the car has been lowered so much the bumper and under engine covers were getting in the way!

Just need to send my pretty wheel away to get fixed now INSERT INTO post VALUES (hope it can be!)

Thanks again,

Calum

BraindG
21-06-2003, 06:43 PM
so, no-one done this to their tyres? or heard of it?