PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tanks

mesobitchy
20-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Will a VR4 fuel tank fit in place of a V6 tank?

Lets try and keep this one on topic please.

psbarham
20-01-2010, 11:10 PM
yes it will, although the fuel pump wiring for the aux lift pump will be missing on the v6 loom

mesobitchy
20-01-2010, 11:13 PM
do you think that is something that can sortted out if you know what your doing?

psbarham
20-01-2010, 11:14 PM
do you think that is something that can sortted out if you know what your doing?

yeh, i think its live when the main pump is live so a quick piggy back loom and roberts your mothers brother

mesobitchy
20-01-2010, 11:16 PM
ahh, something to look into when the car is next up on the ramps :)

must also change the fuel feed, return and breather pipes.

psbarham
20-01-2010, 11:16 PM
ahh, something to look into when the car is next up on the ramps :)

must also change the fuel feed, return and breather pipes.

don't think so, i think the connections are the same

mesobitchy
20-01-2010, 11:18 PM
well that saves the hassle then if they are the same.

ANTHONY
20-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Lets try and keep this one on topic please.you mean they often go off? /duh

Turbo_Steve
20-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Mazz....might I ask why the change of tank?

mesobitchy
20-01-2010, 11:44 PM
smaller tank and its got the "gully" thyp thing were the prop and exhaust run down the middle.

Turbo_Steve
21-01-2010, 12:07 AM
Okay, I can see where you're going with the Gulley.....but I wouldn't be worrying about that just yet. Why the smaller tank?

mesobitchy
21-01-2010, 12:09 AM
well im guessign the vr is a smaller tank, it must be if it had to give up room for the gully.

if i coulf find a V6 that had the same gully as the vr then i would get that, but a vr one has come up. :)

Turbo_Steve
21-01-2010, 12:22 AM
Ah. Well, at least you'll have the cheapest part of the entire thing done, then :)

mesobitchy
21-01-2010, 12:25 AM
yes, replacing the exhaust can be pricy!
but needs must! cant drive around with a blowing exhaust now!

psbarham
21-01-2010, 09:12 AM
you re-routing the exhaust to straighten it out and get better flow? i looked at this ages ago but in true PSB fashion i didn't bother /pan

mesobitchy
21-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Paul! You got it in one ;)
thought might as well do it if I need to get a new one.

psbarham
21-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Paul! You got it in one ;)
thought might as well do it if I need to get a new one.

well too right, as i said i looked into this and to be fair i think it will flow a lot better than stock, for a start you will lose 2 fairly tight 90° bends straight off, this for example in my line of work equates to the same drag as an extra 2 meters of head (how far a pump has to lift) which is a lot. now before the smart arses start saying its a gas not a liquid there fore it reacts different, i know that, this is just an example of how bends are bad for once /Steeringw

mesobitchy
21-01-2010, 09:36 AM
:D :D :D

And people never give the benifit of the doubt, and they wright me off for making an idea!

But yes Paul, removing to of the tight bends will give instance better flow :)

miller
21-01-2010, 09:48 AM
:D :D :D

And people never give the benifit of the doubt, and they wright me off for making an idea!

But yes Paul, removing to of the tight bends will give instance better flow :)

You need to step back remove the blinkers and look at the bigger picture. Three posts up your already moaning about the expense of re routing an exhaust. To me that will just be chicken feed compared to the rest.

Anyways. I digress and shall remove myself and my comments back into the real world

:toilet:

bradc
21-01-2010, 10:10 AM
All 4wd 8G's have the same fuel tank, so just look for any 4wd one. In the Uk though realistically a VR-4 one is the best option.

Confused
21-01-2010, 10:17 AM
The exhaust on the V6 is very close to breaking through, and starting to blow.

As we're looking at getting a new exhaust, we are also looking at maybe a twin exhaust - one on either side (like Atik's, but maybe not quite so "bling") - and this of course would need splitting somewhere under the car.

With the route of the standard exhaust around the fuel tank, this would be difficult. With a VR-4 tank, we can bring the exhaust straight along the middle, and then split it off to either side much more easily.

The fuel tank is being dropped soon, anyway, as there's some signs of rust starting to show through, and start of corrosion on brake lines, and we're going to catch it now that we've just spotted it starting - so changing the tank while we're there is an easy thing to do to facilitate the exhaust change.

mesobitchy
21-01-2010, 10:46 AM
why not chop the exhaust off all together and have it through the side of the front bumper with a motorbike can on ;)

/haz
i know of some place where we can get it now ;) and its free /lol

WildCards
21-01-2010, 10:52 AM
Look in here for inspiration.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20650&page=2&highlight=Dave+Capri

mesobitchy
21-01-2010, 11:01 AM
i was thinking more like this......:chugchug:

4th gen lude with TD04 :D goes like the clappers!!! and yes please do watch out as that thing spits! /lol

WildCards
21-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Err....

mesobitchy
21-01-2010, 11:04 AM
ear defenders? do you require some? you will if your near that thing, /lol

it is very nice that car, and hopefully should be back up and running by japfest this year, if Tim pulls his finger out!
he droped a piston, iirc!

WildCards
21-01-2010, 11:18 AM
ear defenders? do you require some? you will if your near that thing, /lol

it is very nice that car, and hopefully should be back up and running by japfest this year, if Tim pulls his finger out!
he droped a piston, iirc!

How do you get ear defenders from 'Err...'?

That car, again is what spotty 15 year old boys who don't know any better like. Whereas in the real world, grown-ups prefer more subtle performance, less show more go if you like. Think Maserati Quattroporte.

mesobitchy
21-01-2010, 01:52 PM
so are you saying that garry is a 15 year old boy who dont know any better then?
because that is what you have just called him. as he also owned a car like this.
minus the TD04 part, but his lude was just as loud in outta body mods.

oh dear, i think you need to keep quite unless you really do have some constructive to say.

WildCards
21-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Mazz you and I clearly have a different opinion on what makes a nice car and what doesn't. Please, stop reacting to my comments and stop taking them so personally, it isn't just you, I say the same thing to friends who have similiar cars and people I meet on my travels.

mesobitchy
21-01-2010, 02:25 PM
if you dont like what you see, dont post, dont comment dont say anything to the thread that isnt yours. :)

Turbo_Steve
21-01-2010, 02:35 PM
But, by the same token, if you can't take criticism: don't post it on a website.

mesobitchy
21-01-2010, 02:38 PM
ffs steve, this is WC just being plan rude and insulting, he has no right to.
im asking if it fitted and apperently it dose, tho minor adjustments need to be made.

u seem and so do others, its is for the rwd conversion, that was just an idea on if it can be done and if so how.

this is for the fact of something different, about exhausts, i show a car of a good firends and he, wc comes out with utter ballcarp and insults, its not advice, its abuse!

WildCards
21-01-2010, 02:41 PM
I actually posted you a link for inspiration Mazz, you then posted some photo's telling what you were thinking of and I told you I didn't like it. Albeit using more words.

Apologies if you were offended.

mesobitchy
21-01-2010, 02:42 PM
i, personaly would never do a front exhaust conversion, i was showing the car as to where i can get it free from /lol

Nutter_John
21-01-2010, 02:44 PM
So your thinking of running a exhaust between the two humps of the vr4 petrol tank , the petrol tank that is made of plastic and has not metal protection it that area as on a vr4 it is the propshaft that sites in the hump not the exhaust .

mesobitchy
21-01-2010, 02:50 PM
john, read post 32 , second line, 7 words from then end.

Turbo_Steve
21-01-2010, 04:55 PM
ffs steve, this is WC just being plan rude and insulting, he has no right to.

Maybe he was. WildCards doesn't have a reputation for ultra-tactful and well finessed posts: but then neither do you.

The point is that if anyone says something a bit rude, or a bit thoughtless, rather than resort to a witty put down, or simply disagreeing with them, you go on the offensive, Mazz.

Grow a thicker skin, roll your eyes and ignore people who post stuff you don't like and they really will just go away.

I was aware of what you were thinking with the exhaust. To be honest I didn't post as I was didn't want you to jump down my throat for suggesting a flaw in your plan.

Again.

You aren't getting on with people because you've rubbed them up the wrong way. That doesn't mean you carry on the same, it means you have to back down a bit and be conciliatory, and pretend everything is fine and great.....and it will be!

When the Hornets are buzzing loudly, don't poke the nest!

You've put massive revelations about your life online in a car club that, frankly, didn't want to know, and then expected not to be judged on what you've written. The only conclusions people have about you is through what you've written, Mazz. That's got to tell you something, surely?

mesobitchy
21-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Oh dear, can we have clean up on isle 2 please, it's gone ot again.

Thanks
mazz

Beastlee
21-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Think Maserati Quattroporte.
That's what Kevin bought after selling me the VR4.

Mazz, You should get hold of a fuel pump loom froma VR4 too. They plug in on the driver's side of the rear bench then go through an access panel to the twin pumps and behind the tank. I would imagine it would be compatible and possibly even a straight swap for yours. Plenty of breakers on here that should still have one.

mesobitchy
21-01-2010, 09:01 PM
hummm i will give that shot!

miller
21-01-2010, 09:08 PM
john, read post 32 , second line, 7 words from then end.

why wasnt this post deleted too along with the rest?

Reason?

antagonistic?

and agonising thats its left when others deleted

:rulez:

davcom1
21-01-2010, 09:17 PM
When will Mike be sworn in as a moderator?

Nick Mann
21-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Mike - as far as I can tell Meso is quoting "tho minor adjustments need to be made" as a reply to John suggesting the tank is not designed to have an exhaust pipe in close proximity.

I'm not sure how that is a major insult? Certainly no more than "try searching". I don't think it's worthy of deletion at the moment. Certain other posts most certainly were worthy of deletion though!

If I have mis-read the meaning, then please let me know.

AlanDITD
21-01-2010, 10:56 PM
can we not just open a bitching forum and that way everything isnt deleted o sensorship gods!

Nick Mann
21-01-2010, 11:01 PM
Everyone has agreed to treat other members as they would wish to be treated, to keep threads on topic and not to start flame wars. As such, posts can and will get censored.

This is not a forum for bitching and nor do I want it to be. If you don't like to read what a particular member is writing, then please ignore posts from that member. Please do not start being abusive, please do not start a flaming war, please do not go off topic.

mesobitchy
22-01-2010, 12:42 AM
Nick, the quote about adjustments was meant as you read.
No harm, no hitching, no insults, it is a pitty *some* people seem to look for an excuse to flame other members and distroy there simple questions.

mesobitchy
26-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Right i cant get under the VR4 right now to get proof that the exhaust dose indeed run in the gully rather then round it.

there is already a heat shield there providing some protection to the metal fuel tank in place,
and also to add to this, the VR exhaust runs a hell of a lot hotter then that of the N/A V6 one.

going to have another look at the wiring to the secondary fuel pump, but it seems to have one wire joining the two pumps and then the one plug that fits both the VR and the V6, i will get my new VR4 fuel tank out of the shed in a bit and get some pics of it to prove what i have just said,
i and garry might need correcting on one thing that we are a bit unsure of, but it is prolly something so simple.

Beastlee
26-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Was under there yesterday and pipe runs around the driver's side of the tank then back across the car.

See here :

uploaded/51219/1195329820.jpg

Nutter_John
26-01-2010, 02:33 PM
The tank is plastic and not metal , as pointed out in post #35 the PROPSHAFT sits in the hump area not the exhaust .

mesobitchy
26-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Was under there yesterday and pipe runs around the driver's side of the tank then back across the car.

See here :

uploaded/51219/1195329820.jpg

Just having a look in that pic, it is hard to see,

im going to see about jacking our vr up and getting a good piccy from directy underneath.

but if it dose run around, why have the heat shield in the gully?.....

Atik
26-01-2010, 02:56 PM
If you are still thinking of doing a twin exhaust setup, here is my 'original' one that was on the car. Its the 'non-bling' but LOUD one.
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=2457

Here is a pic of the old loud exhaust before it was taken off.
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/uploaded/50445/1219065979.jpg

Also my original thread about the new exhaust. Should have some pics of the shape and the way it was split to either side.
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35504&highlight=silencers

Beastlee
26-01-2010, 02:57 PM
I will most likely be back in the motor club tonight to fo the AYC and rear diff, I'll try to snap you a couple of pictures if I can. Hopefully it will help clarify.

WildCards
26-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Here are some better pictures of when John and I undersealed my dads car.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u271/Wildcards_Album/Undersealing/P4260050.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u271/Wildcards_Album/Undersealing/P4260051.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u271/Wildcards_Album/Undersealing/P4260053.jpg

mesobitchy
26-01-2010, 03:01 PM
I will most likely be back in the motor club tonight to fo the AYC and rear diff, I'll try to snap you a couple of pictures if I can. Hopefully it will help clarify.

as tesco's says "every little helps" lol

If you are still thinking of doing a twin exhaust setup, here is my 'original' one that was on the car. Its the 'non-bling' but LOUD one.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=2457

Also my original thread about the new exhaust. Should have some pics of the shape and the way it was split to either side.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35504&highlight=silencers

thats cool!

i will also try and get a shot of under the V6 and compare.

Beastlee
26-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Must admit, that does look to me like it travels under the tank before that bend. Always difficult to tell from pictures at those angles.

mesobitchy
26-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Here are some better pictures of when John and I undersealed my dads car.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u271/Wildcards_Album/Undersealing/P4260050.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u271/Wildcards_Album/Undersealing/P4260051.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u271/Wildcards_Album/Undersealing/P4260053.jpg

last pic confirms it, thank you!

the exhaust only bends to go around the diff on a vr, but before that it is there running under the fuel tank!/Wyhy

Atik
26-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Also to add, that running a twin setup will need you to chop off the right hand side tow-hook loop and cut out out a bit of the bumper to accomodate the tailpipe. On my VR4 I also cant drop the AYC stuff without removing the exhaust (so far I have never needed to) as the right side pipe is obviously in the way. Also please ensure you get the 'split' right and make sure its horizontal as otherwise it looks sh!te from the back and you lose the whole effect you are going for!

But yes, it does appear that on the VR4 the exhaust bends only to accomodate the rear diff.

miller
26-01-2010, 03:16 PM
For some reason the Fujitsubo cranks slightly prior to the diff

mesobitchy
26-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Also to add, that running a twin setup will need you to chop off the right hand side tow-hook loop and cut out out a bit of the bumper to accomodate the tailpipe. On my VR4 I also cant drop the AYC stuff without removing the exhaust (so far I have never needed to) as the right side pipe is obviously in the way. Also please ensure you get the 'split' right and make sure its horizontal as otherwise it looks sh!te from the back and you lose the whole effect you are going for!

But yes, it does appear that on the VR4 the exhaust bends only to accomodate the rear diff.

Atik, gonna make it in the back of the shed like chavs do, not forgetting to chop the spring for that extra low look, ;):thumbsup: :anxious:

yes, we have taken the bumper into mind, hence why i got a spare one!:thumbsup:
not to worried about the tow hook tbh, if need be re home it? but i will proll leave that off all together, cos once my car is finished im not gonna be towing anything! hehe. sod em who ever needs a tow, they should not have broke down in the first place, LOL.

lucky i dont have AYC so i dont ever need to change it, tho if i did i be worryed!

but yes, the Y split is the most important. and that will be made sure it is right before it goes anywhere near my car :)

proppa job!:thumbsup:

Turbo_Steve
26-01-2010, 07:21 PM
If, at any time, you felt the need to do a RWD conversion (and I only bring this up as you have mentioned it!) you will need to change the exhaust to accomodate the rear diff. Given the cost of RWD conversion, I don't really think it's worth considering at this stage, but I felt it would be irresponsible not to mention it.

Also worth mentioning that the rear tow-hook isn't there for towing other cars, that's just what it gets used for. It's mainly there for towing your car back out of the crash-barrier \ ditch \ backwards onto a tow-truck when it breaks down.

Finally, if you're going for a Y-split on a non-turbo'd car, it's worth ensuring your pipe sizes decrease after the split to ensure gas flow speed remains constant. It's also best to try and have the pipes split as gradually as possible.

Good Luck! :)

Turbo_Steve
26-01-2010, 07:25 PM
In fact, given the width of the transmission tunnel (is it that high / wide on the V6? I assume the chassis is identical?) you might want to get really ambitious and run seperate pipes from the manifolds to the rear.

Not only is this most likely to give you a performance increase, but it will sound AMAZING! Retain the down-pipe cats and ensure there is an "H" balance pipe (a small connecting pipe) after the downpipes with the post-cat lambda sensor in it (if your car has one). This is a true performance exhaust then, and the sound it will make will astound you! Think "V6 in stereo": the slight differences in pipe construction will make the banks sing in harmony like the vienna boys choir.
Or JLS, whichever you prefer.

mesobitchy
26-01-2010, 09:50 PM
running two pipes, one from each bank did cross my mind and i have said about it before, but garry said something along the lines of it wont work for one reasion or another.
and yes the chassis is the same, but the transmission tunnel is slightly different, in the vr you have a "hump" in the drivers foot well, you dont have that in the V6.

the exhaust is all still in the planning stages at the mo, and we are looking in to different desgines and iv yet to find a sound im happy with to go with the intake roar.

also if the RWD conversion should ever make a reality, then i might get a crashed up or blown manual vr and take what is needed, but that is miles off, and that is if it should ever happen, but who knows what tomorrow may bring!